PDA

View Full Version : Running to warm what do i do?

3rdgeneration
07-20-2005, 06:54 PM
ok,,,i know im probably going to get grilled because im sure people ask this all the time,,, but my car is running just under 210 drops id say 5-10 degrees,,, i dont know how to cool things down,, i havent had it overheat on me but im worried that im doing harm running at this temp,,, i recently flushed the coolent and put knew coolent in crossing my fingures hoping that this would help,,,i was thinking of getting a 160 thermostat but ive herd this could cause more problems.. the only thing i could come up with is that one of my radiator fans is shut off because for some reason it would keep running when the car was off until the batery died so it was disconnected,,, could something this simple be the cause of this? ::::HELP:::

ps. i dont know what it ran at with two fans going because i just recently installed a temp gauge

Shirako
07-20-2005, 07:10 PM
your car will run hotter without those fans, quick solution is to turn the heat on full blast and open the windows lol, get those fans back on if possible, my honda had the relay blow so I just jumped it with some heavy guage wire, check the sensor under the radiatior, could be the cause of the fans running all the time.

TheWatcher
07-20-2005, 07:18 PM
ok,,,i know im probably going to get grilled because im sure people ask this all the time,,, but my car is running just under 210 drops id say 5-10 degrees,,, i dont know how to cool things down,, i havent had it overheat on me but im worried that im doing harm running at this temp,,, i recently flushed the coolent and put knew coolent in crossing my fingures hoping that this would help,,,i was thinking of getting a 160 thermostat but ive herd this could cause more problems.. the only thing i could come up with is that one of my radiator fans is shut off because for some reason it would keep running when the car was off until the batery died so it was disconnected,,, could something this simple be the cause of this? ::::HELP:::

ps. i dont know what it ran at with two fans going because i just recently installed a temp gauge
You need both fans, one fan is for the air conditioning, and the other is the radiator fan. You can run w/ just one for a while, but when the other one fails, you will be lucky to get more than a couple of blocks when it overheats (unless you live where it snows?). I ran w/ only one fan and didn't even realize it, until the other fan failed. But now I check the fan(s) from time to time. No way am I running only 1 fan, now that I know what to look for.

Don't disconnect the fan. I am not an engine guy, but my guess is that the sensor located near the radiator is the first place to check/replace if your fan is running continuously (in your case, until the battery dies). You should always check from the cheapest parts to replace and work your way up. A good mechanic can diagnose and fix your fan problem.

Hope that helps. Other members w/ more experience under the hood will probably have a better idea than I do. I would start w/ replacing the sensor, and definitely would turn that fan back on. Honda's designers put it there for a reason, not just for decoration.

Peace.

Baveara
07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
your relay has gone bad replace it and it should work "Trust me"

3rdgeneration
07-21-2005, 05:29 AM
thanks guys i will try and get that other fan going,, u think that will wake the difference?