PDA

View Full Version : 1987 accord shifting weird!

berniebo
07-21-2005, 05:43 AM
I have read through most of the threads looking for an answer to my problem but did'nt find one, I hope someone out their can help. I own a 1987 accord 110000mls and recently had to have the auto trans replaced with a donor unit from the yard. the original one would not move in reverse and the local shop said it was biffed. anyway the donor one is acting weird in the upshifts. it will shift ok from 1 to 2(hard) and usually ok 2 to 3(harder) but not all the time and will not shift from 3 to 4 unless I ease back on the gas just like you would do in a manual. it does'nt matter if its hot or cold. so when I'm driving I have to ease back on the gas when it needs to change from 1 to 2 and 2-3 to prevent the hard shift and if I dont ease back for 3 to 4 it will not shift. I have changed the tranny fluid using honda stuff but it made no difference. If anyone has an answer to this for me I would apreciate it cause its driving me nuts.

shepherd79
07-21-2005, 05:45 AM
did you try adjusting the shifter cable?

berniebo
07-21-2005, 09:56 AM
thanks for the reply shepherd79. no I havent tried anything yet. I will try to find the procedure on how to adjust the shifter cable. all tips are welcome.

berniebo
07-22-2005, 03:20 AM
well, I tried adjusting the shifter cable, but it was ok. I still have to let off the gas pedal to make the shifts happen and when I do it shifts fine. I could keep driving like this but my wife hates it. Help!.

shepherd79
07-22-2005, 04:13 AM
try adding lucal oil additive. people say it helps auto trannies.

berniebo
07-23-2005, 12:19 PM
tried the lucas but alas problem is still there. adjusted the tv cable as per link found on one of the threads but that did'nt help either, adjustment was not that far off, only a couple of turns.