PDA

View Full Version : removing distributor

Ace
07-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey whats up I am trying to relpace my distributor I am trying to remove it and since I still have not picked up a haynes manual and I am unexpierienced :mad: I am a little tied up can someone possibly describe what I need to do to remove it I am going to the bone yard tommorow and am removing my old dizzy to get a idea how to do it any help would be appreciated Thanks Paul

Ace
07-21-2005, 05:32 PM
BUMP Yo can anyone help me I can really use it I need to fix this asap

EricW
07-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Since you have an LX-i there are two 10mm bolts and one 10mm nut which have to be removed. Then just pull the distributor off and unplug the wire from the coil and the spark plug wires and your done.

mr eff
07-21-2005, 11:16 PM
the bolt on the bottom is the hard one to find sometimes... it's behind the coolant hose, you should be able to just push it aside and use a 6" extension to grab it.

i should mention that when you reinstall the distributor you should replace the O ring (like 1$ from honda). also know that the cam fits only one way (it has two teeth, one side is larger than the other), so you'll have to rotate the dizzy's output shaft (it's late, i can't think of what it's actually called) to get it to mate.

one last thing worth mentioning... once you reinstall the distributor, chances are your ignition timing will be off. you can eyeball it, but it might be worthwhile to have that set properly to 15

good luck

shepherd79
07-22-2005, 04:24 AM
before you remove the distributor, remove the cap and check the position of the rotor. this way you won't have to guess which way the distributor has to go (even so it can go only one way).

Ace
07-22-2005, 06:11 AM
to late for that I just found that out now just one question there is 21 types of dizzy a tec and a hitachi does it matter what brand I get or is the only thing that matter that it is fuel injected

mr eff
07-22-2005, 06:50 AM
it shouldn't matter. i don't have a parts list in front of me, and i'm late for work. you can just compare part numbers from the models you're considering... distributors should be the same in the third gens

charlie89LXi
07-22-2005, 04:39 PM
to late for that I just found that out now just one question there is 21 types of dizzy a tec and a hitachi does it matter what brand I get or is the only thing that matter that it is fuel injected

LXi uses TEC dizzy.

Ace
07-22-2005, 05:01 PM
All set

im_shad
07-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Dude, its simple.. There is only 2 10mm nuts holding it on.. U can even use a star screw driver to pull'em out.. Dont forget to remove the plug wires and coil wire.. Also, u can follow the 2 wires going from the dizzy to the passenger fender, unplugg the 2..

And thats it !

smufguy
07-24-2005, 10:19 PM
The gasket is like 3 bux (yeah right a buck), and the orientation does not matter since the pickup goes in only one way. trust me, i have removed dizzys more than i can count.

LX-i and SE-i have three.

bingo, all efis have three, two on top and one on the bottom.

all carbs have just two, one on the top right and one on the bottom.

Strugglebucket
07-25-2005, 01:56 AM
there are also two 10mm pedestal bolts on the head that you may need to loosen.

smufguy
07-25-2005, 07:07 AM
there are also two 10mm pedestal bolts on the head that you may need to loosen.

nope, you dont have to. unless ur swapping the bracket from a head to head (after an efi conversion).

Ace
07-25-2005, 07:12 AM
All Set That was REal easy I had gone out before I posted and removed the top 2 I did not now of the bottom one very simple and the car runs great Thanks