PDA

View Full Version : Steering Issues

87DXTypeR
07-22-2005, 08:40 AM
So I went to back out of a parking spot today and when I tried to turn I heard a slight squeak as I tried to turn the wheel, tried being the key word because it felt like there was no power steering, then I tried again and it felt fine, as I was driving the steering felt a little tight, but it has been that way because it needs to be aligned, anybody have any idea what might have caused this, I inspected the belts and the ps fluid and they seem fine, do these cars have a tendency to go through PS Pumps?

Dutchboy
07-22-2005, 08:52 AM
i dont think that these cars go through pump unless the fluid is really contaminated... i would recheck the belt..
the belt needs to be tight enough or it will slip and cause you to have no steering power... take hold of the belt on the longest run between pulleys and twist it .. it should only twist about a 1/4 turn or so..
theres alot of pressure in the steering systems. keeping the belt tight will ussually correct a problem like this

try this first its the cheapest thing to do

Blkblurr
07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
The squeak you heard was most likely your belt slipping. Needs to be tightened or replaced.

87DXTypeR
07-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Fixed it, I have really crappy front tires and they were too low, aired them up and no problems, thanks for the help though

Blkblurr
07-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Fixed it, I have really crappy front tires and they were too low, aired them up and no problems, thanks for the help though
Thanks for the feedback. I wish everyone would do that so we can learn from others experience. :)