PDA

View Full Version : drivetrain repair advice

mr eff
07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
hey guys

i plan to do a few things to my car on monday, and i was hoping that i could get some helpful hints. if there's anything troublesome that you've personally run into while doing something similar, please let me know. i'm not looking for a walkthrough, just a thread to collect "be careful about those darned whatsitmabobs -- they get me every time!" types of comments.

anyways, i'll be working on a rack--thank god--and i'll have access to full shop tools.

i will be replacing both axles, removing the transmission and disassembling it, rebuilding it with integra 2nd-5th gears (keeping accord first assuming it fits when i get a better look at the gears), replacing the clutch, and replacing the flywheel.

wish me luck, i'll post pictures and hopefully movies of before and after acceleration to give a better idea for those curious about doing the swap themselves.

<3 @ 3geez

88LXi68
07-22-2005, 06:03 PM
keep the accord 5th because it will be a better highway gear than the integra.

FyreDaug
07-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Assuming suspension components will be removed, watch out for the pinch fork to lower control arm bolt. It likes to sieze in the bushing. The ball joint might be hard to unseat from the control arm if its been there a while and hasnt been anti siezed. Get yourself a can of some good penetrating oil, it will help.

mr eff
07-22-2005, 06:54 PM
keep the accord 5th because it will be a better highway
gear than the integra.

i know... makes me want a six speed :squint:

the integra fifth is the same ratio as the accord fourth, so keeping the accord fifth gear would be an enormous dump (akin to shiftin from accord third into accord fifth). i thought about this for a while, and i plan to live with the teg fifth.

i appreciate the input, just wanted to mention that i originally planned to keep the accord fifth, but decided against it for the reason above.

88Accord-DX
07-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Hope you got a Chilton or good shop manual on the transaxle. Don't want to pop that open without one. Need a good break down on it.