PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadening

ICEMAN707
07-22-2005, 08:32 PM
First thing that comes to mind for me is Dynamat. But I hate the idea of using tar sheets. Seems like a permanent thing, or sticky PITA when it comes time to remove them. So my question is, what are other "cleaner" alternatives to sound deadening? Thin sheets of foam under the carpet like they use for house carpet? List all your suggestions and thanks. I just hate the idea of putting tar on my perfectly clean sheetmetal. i want something that does the job and is cleaner to take out.

halxi
07-22-2005, 08:45 PM
You know that spray foam they use in houses and what not? Spray some of that down, then stick the carpet to it again. Theoretically it would work, since its insulation. You might have to cut/trim the carpet if you want a thicker layer though.

Im guessing youre going for SQ right?

Hash_man_Se_i
07-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Cascade Audio makes some excellent products. Use their VB2 sheets for your doors, they do stick to it, but are thin, instead of just adding weight to the metal like dynamat they actually work as a sound deabtener. And for under your carpet use the cascade VB3.5 sheets. That would make a world of difference./

Strugglebucket
07-23-2005, 07:01 PM
fill the inside of your trunk lining with old t-shirts.

w00tw00t111
07-23-2005, 09:39 PM
If your simply opposed to dynamat the company then their are other sound deading companies that are out there. Most are cheaper then dynamat too. Just go to your local sound shop and ask them b/c right now the names are escaping me. But as far as easy removal I think that dynamat would be the easiest since foam would be a whore to get off. Kinda like the stock sound deading you just have to "chissle" away at it.

ICEMAN707
07-23-2005, 11:54 PM
If your simply opposed to dynamat the company then their are other sound deading companies that are out there. Most are cheaper then dynamat too. Just go to your local sound shop and ask them b/c right now the names are escaping me. But as far as easy removal I think that dynamat would be the easiest since foam would be a whore to get off. Kinda like the stock sound deading you just have to "chissle" away at it.

no i got nothing against dynamat. it's a really good brand. i just don't like what it is --- sheets of tar in foil wrapping. talk about a bitch to get off. i dont wanna stick tar on my freshly painted floor and trunk.

w00tw00t111
07-24-2005, 03:48 AM
Oh k. I gotcha. Well I guess for anything that deadens sound in order to get it off you are you going to have to scrap/chisle it off. I would suggest getting a test panel of metal and try a bunch of different deadeners and see which is easiest to get off. Have you heard of dynamat spray? I severly doubt that you could spray tar out of an aersol so that might be something different that accomplishes pretty much the same thing.
Just a side note. Why are you so worried about being able to get it off? When I did it for a friend getting the stock deadener off I spent about 6 hours doing it. Why would you want to take it off in the first place? I mean honestly no matter what you use youre not going to be able to just rip it up before you go to the track if that is what you were thinking of. It's gonna be just as bad with foam as it would be with the "tar". So, tell me why you want it to be removed so easily and I'll try to suggest something that would suit your needs.
Hope it helps. :)

ICEMAN707
07-24-2005, 05:53 AM
maybe someday i would like to do a full restoration or cleaning on the car and i wanna be able to easily remove that stuff off. over the years the carpet will get dirty and will need replacing and i wanna be able to remove the sound insulation along with it and replace it as well. i dunno i'll figure something out. i'll try that padding they use underneath house carpets or use heavier automotive carpet. i want really excellent SQ with rattle-free bass.

87DXHatch
07-30-2005, 08:48 AM
The goal of sound deadening is to add mass to the thin metal in your car, lowering the resonant frequency of the panels and blocking noise. If the sheet metal is completely hidden from view by the carpet, there is no reason why you should be against putting "aluminum-backed asphault-based" deadening materials on the metal.

On the floor of the vehicle, you don't need the deadening as much as you could need some sort of noise muffling. Thick padding can benefit your floors pretty well, but for doors, trunk lid, ceiling, etc, you are going to want some sort of the aforementioned deadening on there.

If nothing else, do the outer skins (the ones closest to the outside) of your doors, and then seal up all the service holes on the inside, if you actually are looking for "really excellent SQ with rattle-free bass." I sound deadened my '89 SEi and it made a big difference, but I didn't do it properly. I properly deadened my 92 Toyota Paseo that I drive now, and it made a HUGE difference. If you tap on my doors it's a dead "thunk" like if you were to tap on a solid oak desk.

Some deadening products I'd recommend:
www.edesignaudio.com <-- eDead. It's the cheapest you can find, and not bad. I used ~80 square feet in my Accord, and ~60 in my Paseo.
www.raamaudio.com <-- Raamat. Much nicer than eDead but more expensive.
www.secondskinaudio.com <-- Second Skin. IMO better than the Raamat, but again, more expensive.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, I'm rarely on the board anymore.

TheWatcher
07-30-2005, 04:59 PM
I sound deadened my '89 SEi and it made a big difference, but I didn't do it properly. I properly deadened my 92 Toyota Paseo that I drive now, and it made a HUGE difference. If you tap on my doors it's a dead "thunk" like if you were to tap on a solid oak desk.
How did you NOT install the sound dampening properly on your SE-i? It might help alot of us to know.

Peace.

87DXHatch
07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Not installing it properly = not putting ANYTHING on the outer door skins. I just dampened the inner door skins, and, while it did make a noticable improvement, it was not nearly as noticable as when I did both inner and outer skins on my 92 Paseo.

Otherwise you want to make sure you clean the surface metal VERY thoroughly with simple green or something similar and water before you put any sound deadening down, just to make sure it won't come off.

FyreDaug
07-30-2005, 10:30 PM
www.b-quiet.com is awesome stuff. Used it in mine, highly recommeneded. Canadian based in regina

87DXHatch
07-31-2005, 01:55 AM
b-quiet is good stuff as well. There's a shitload of different companies that make sound deadener, I just listed the ones I could remember off the top of my head. They all essentially do the same thing, just some are stickier/less smell/cheaper/etc...

Ludi Mali
07-31-2005, 06:14 AM
i'd say go with a spray on deadener like edead or secondskin. You might not be able to get it off, but it will have the most stock look afterwards. And secondskin works better than dynamat in my opinion.

87DXHatch
07-31-2005, 09:08 AM
i'd say go with a spray on deadener like edead or secondskin. You might not be able to get it off, but it will have the most stock look afterwards. And secondskin works better than dynamat in my opinion.
That is the general consensus that I have heard... Second Skin has a guarentee that it will not fall off under any circumstances, whereas Dynamat does not. I got a really good deal on four square feet of Dynamat Extreme, so I put it on one of my doors, and I was very unimpressed.

FyreDaug
08-09-2005, 03:09 PM
so I put it on one of my doors, and I was very unimpressed.

Well yeah, was it atleast a door with a speaker in it? You wouldnt have a nuetral sound balance that way, and it might make it sound worse. If you are going to dynamat, do it right. Trunk for subs and doors with speakers. Anywhere else isnt really making much of a difference except reducing road noise

87DXHatch
08-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Well yeah, was it atleast a door with a speaker in it? You wouldnt have a nuetral sound balance that way, and it might make it sound worse. If you are going to dynamat, do it right. Trunk for subs and doors with speakers. Anywhere else isnt really making much of a difference except reducing road noise
Sound deadeners do not hold different sonic properties. They all do the exact same thing: increase mass and lower resonance. Had you read the rest of the thread, and not just that one post, you would have understood that I was very unimpressed with Dynamat Extreme by itself; I have already put ~50 square feet of eDead v.1 on my front doors alone. I was unimpressd with the quality and ease-of-use the Dynamat presented me with.

FyreDaug
08-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Yeah I did read the thread, sorry I got people confused. I thought you only had 4 sq feet total that you used. My bad.

charlesb2003
12-08-2005, 02:45 PM
anyone have experience sound-deadening a hatchback? and if so, how did you silence the rattles and squeaks from the hatch? mine makes all kind of racket, and it's not even from my system... it squeaks and rattles as i drive... :uh:

3rdCoast
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
check this out especially the last 2 items at the bottom. i dont have any experience with any of it but it sounds better than the usuall stuff.....:dunno: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&ObjectGroup_ID=37&manufacturer=301&sm=1&so=2&raid=39&rak=sound_deadning_sheets

crazykamper
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
sorry to bring back from dead, but what is the most preffered?? im lookin to completely silence my car. (not completely, but u get the point...)

im lookin for something cheap, dont really care about stickie crap, just as long as it works. and smell, as long as it goes away soon, im fine with it.