PDA

View Full Version : Odd electrical prob.

mag_pbg
07-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Here are the symptoms: No dash lights when I turn on the lights, but I know the dimmer is working cuase I have my temp guage hooked up to a stock dimmer switch. Also it does this sometimes but not all the time, if the key is turned one click both my turn signals work and everything works good except the dash lights, but once I turn the key and start the car when I turn the turn signal to turn left it activates the hazard light and then I turn on the hazard lights it flashes the hazards and it flashes the high beams. When I turn on the high beams it turns the high beams on and both turn signals.
I thought it was a blown fuse all the fuses are good, all the connectors are right (marked them before I discounected them) and I have a good ground. my only guesses would be the turn signal/ hazard relay was shot or the whole combo switch is shot. As for the dash lights could it be a blown light bulb since it is kinda like a christmas tree where they are all tied in together and if one goes out all of them go out. I ghetto fab'ed lights for the dash for now so I can drive at night but the whole turn signal is annoying not to mention dangerouse.

AccordNut
07-22-2005, 09:46 PM
its not like the x-mas effect where if one goes out they all go out. i know that much but the rest of your problem truly confuses me as well. have you ever messed with your dash? i suppose maybe something is plugged into something it shouldnt be? how long have you had this problem...sounds like it can be easily narrowed down at least

mag_pbg
07-23-2005, 05:07 AM
it just started doing it about two days ago, I will re check the connections, but another odd thing I saw was when I turned onthe hazards, it made my tach jump up and down as it flashed. I think it could be a short somewhere but none of the wires look or smell burnt

AccordNut
07-23-2005, 05:34 AM
i suppose it couldnt hurt to replace your defroster/dimmer/headlight pop up switch. Im sure you know which one that is...everything you mentioned runs through that thing one way or the other it could be the problem.

mag_pbg
07-23-2005, 06:03 AM
I feel so stupid but I found the prob. there is a blue connector towards the top right hand side under the dash that wasn't plugged in, I plugged it in and now everything works but my dash lights. Thanx for the help AccordNut

lostforawhile
07-23-2005, 06:03 AM
check your main ground connections, it sounds like you have developed a major ground loop,that would be because a main ground wire is disconnected. in other words the ground is trying to find it's way through other circuits.

lostforawhile
07-23-2005, 06:05 AM
ah, i belive that one has one of the ground connects through it. i memorize wires for fun :lol: glad you got it fixed