PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack removal problem

5spdaccordlxi
07-23-2005, 10:03 AM
The haynes manual says you need to remove a pinch bolt that connects the steering U joint to the steering rack input shaft.. for some reason my car (89 LXi) doesnt seem to have a pinch bolt. I have everything else disconeected for the rack to come off but its still conected at the U joint. If anyone else has replaced their rack please let me know how to go about this. thanks

5spdaccordlxi
07-24-2005, 05:12 PM
wow i guess i'm the only one ever to replace a steering rack in these cars. Props to me. Anyway... i figured it out no need to help

Oldblueaccord
07-25-2005, 10:14 AM
wow i guess i'm the only one ever to replace a steering rack in these cars. Props to me. Anyway... i figured it out no need to help

Sorry unlike most here I dont make a comment unless I know or have resonable knowledge of.

Which do you prefer?

wp

5spdaccordlxi
07-25-2005, 05:18 PM
uh i didnt ask you to respond if you didnt have any knowledge on the subject... i was just saying that thats kinda weird noones ever done it before

AZmike
07-30-2005, 08:50 PM
To remove the rack you should completely remove the bottom bolt on the steeing U-joint, taking care not to lose the washers. You may need to pry the two lower sides of the joint apart to get the rack input shaft to slide out. Let me know how it goes, I've gotten to do this lovely job three times now. :rolleyes:

5spdaccordlxi
07-31-2005, 03:48 PM
To remove the rack you should completely remove the bottom bolt on the steeing U-joint, taking care not to lose the washers. You may need to pry the two lower sides of the joint apart to get the rack input shaft to slide out. Let me know how it goes, I've gotten to do this lovely job three times now. :rolleyes:
thanks for the help.... i finished this job about a week ago. It went alright... i figured it out. What a bitch though

AZmike
07-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Sorry for the late response--I'd been out of town without internet for the last week.