PDA

View Full Version : What will happen if I take my PS pump off?

jigga225
07-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Ok here's the deal. My PS fluid leaks really bad from the pump. I'm not sure if it's the pump itself, the lines connecting to it, or the seal between the line and the pump.
The reservioir goes to almost empty.

So since i'm limited on vehicles, what would happen if I took the pump off, and tried to drive the car? Without removing the lines. because I am going to fix whatever it is, I just need to find out...

A20A1
07-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Well what I did is bypass the pump and looped the fluid lines together so that fluid remains in the system to keep the system lubricated.

What I didn't know was the PS fluid interacts with the speedometer cable?
So my cable burnt up but only because I removed the PS fluid lines from the ports on the trans.

So Just keep all the fluid lines in place and you'll be fine.

I forget, Do the fluid lined have special connections?
If they do it will be hard to connect the two ends of the fluid lines together. I dunno if you want to cut you lines and connect them together with a brass fitting and some hose clamps. Just leave some excess so that you can repair the lines where you made the cut and hook up the pump again when it's fixed.

What you'll nottice is the steering is really tight when you're not moving but once you get moving it's easier to turn the wheel.

SteveDX89
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
I have a spare pump if you need one. Let me know.

Blkblurr
07-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Is your pump leaking at the point where the high pressure hose connects to it? You might just have a bad o-ring on that fitting. If your pump is leaking, leave it connected until you get another. Just replace the pump and not worry about doing anything to the hoses.

jigga225
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
What you'll nottice is the steering is really tight when you're not moving but once you get moving it's easier to turn the wheel.
Werd...yeah that's true, I've been rolling like that for a minute, but I wanna fix this pretty soon. i like the PS.

Blkblrr... see that's the thing Its leaking from the underside of the pump and I can't really look to see where it's leaking from a seam in the pump or where the hose connects.

What I'll do is clean it up really good, then look to see where the leak begins.

Steve, if it is the pump and not the o-ring... What price for the pump?

A20A1
07-27-2005, 12:34 PM
I dunno if removing the belt can help... it'll probably still squirt out when you turn the wheel.

SteveDX89
07-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Werd...yeah that's true, I've been rolling like that for a minute, but I wanna fix this pretty soon. i like the PS.

Blkblrr... see that's the thing Its leaking from the underside of the pump and I can't really look to see where it's leaking from a seam in the pump or where the hose connects.

What I'll do is clean it up really good, then look to see where the leak begins.

Steve, if it is the pump and not the o-ring... What price for the pump?

$10 + shipping

shepherd79
07-28-2005, 03:54 AM
you can remove the belt. as long as your PS fluid bottle is empty it will be fine.
it sounds like PS pump to me. I had the same problem.if the leak in the front and it is all over the engine in the front, i can assure you it is your PS pump. i just replaced mine from JY one. It works fine.

AZmike
07-30-2005, 08:56 PM
My leaking PS pump just needed a $5 pulley shaft seal and it's been fine for 4 years now.

dalinxz
08-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey I think my power steering fluid leaks under the car theres a little pan but it drips onto the floor i dont know how i will fix that any advice?

88accordalltheway
08-17-2005, 01:49 AM
my ps fluid leaks too, but ive been told its the rack and pinion thats fux0rd...not good. Driving around with out it sucks, its hard to drive with a big ass drink, no cup holders, talk on the phone(sometimes) and navigate through a busy parking lot. Ive gotten use to it, but its still a bitch. IDK WTF id do if i had a stick.

SteveDX89
08-17-2005, 02:20 AM
my ps fluid leaks too, but ive been told its the rack and pinion thats fux0rd...not good. Driving around with out it sucks, its hard to drive with a big ass drink, no cup holders, talk on the phone(sometimes) and navigate through a busy parking lot. Ive gotten use to it, but its still a bitch. IDK WTF id do if i had a stick.

Don't be a girl. Work those arms. :lol:

dalinxz
08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
But with mine its the bottom of the car that leaks and its a slow leak its not even an issue but the power steering fluid has to keep being added id say every week to week and a half but its a pain so any way i could fix it? its underneath the car what about those pastes you can buy to put over leaks would that work i dont even know how i would find the leak.