PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Locked Up

mag_pbg
07-26-2005, 11:04 PM
I was driving around town and just shifted into 3rd and then all of the sudden, the car locks up and screeches to a hualt. Im almost certian it is the tranny since it rolls fine with the clutch engaged. But it won't hardly go into any gears, and even if you put it in nuetral you still have to put in the clutch to get it to roll. The ironic thing is that I was coming back from the Honda dealership to see how much a 5th gear would cost sicne it went out a few days ago. So here are my choices, take out a loan to fix the tranny or try and take out a loan to buy a whole new car. Im just wondering what a fair price would be to fix the tranny, when I had my auto rebuilt it was around $1200.

snow_man_20
07-26-2005, 11:19 PM
$1200! yikes, buy a new car if it's going to cost you more then that. unless your accord is almost like new, then fix it. I hate buying used cars you can do alot of digging and still not know what your getting into.

Rendon LX-i
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Damn U cant get a used one anywere for 300 or something. better off that way.Jeez

mag_pbg
07-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, I have $1000 worth of tools to buy for school, my car just broke down and im transfereing to a different store in a few weeks. Plus I have a stack of bills to pay for. Im guessing it is going to cost somewhere around $500-$600 dollars, cuase the honda dealership wanted like $369 for everything to rebuild 5th gear but if it is more than $900 Im selling it as is and cutting my losses. I don't really want to get a used tranny cuase this was a used tranny and you just don't know what you are getting lol. but im going to tear it out tomorow and see whats all wrong with it and call around and get some price quotes.

mr eff
07-27-2005, 06:32 AM
i just rebuilt my transmission and have all the accord internals except first gear.. if you wanted the fifth gear, that's not a problem. if you wanted the mainshaft and countershaft, we could work something out.

i know how much these things are at cost, so i wouldn't charge you 369$ for sure!

spades27
07-27-2005, 06:41 AM
are u sure its not the cluch???

or maybe the release baring

just a thought i dont think im right but maybe!!!!

mag_pbg
07-27-2005, 11:52 AM
I would just rebuild it myself but I don't know the first thing in rebuiling one. Also Im pretty sure it is the tranny, when I took the black cover off to look at fifth gear there were several thin peices of metal that look like they would have held something in place. I do want to know if I can take the gear housing off without crap going everywhere. Also if I were to rebuild it myself where can I get the parts from, is there like a whole kit I can buy¿

mag_pbg
07-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Allright I have decided to rebuild the tranny myself, I really don't think the gears are bad, just the syncros but I need to get the gear housing off but to do that I will need a schematic of how it is all put together, also I need a site that will have all the parts I will need, I went to the honda dealership and just for 5th gear will be 369. So any help would be appriciated greatly.

mr eff
07-27-2005, 07:38 PM
the shop manual works just fine for disassembling the transmission case and its reassembly. even if you think you just blew fifth gear synchro ring, you may as well crack the case and inspect the interior. it would be good to clean it out and check synchro clearances and tooth wear... you really won't need to replace an entire gear.

the mainshaft is pressed together, so you'd need a hydraulic press to replace the input shaft bearing (if you wanted to do this as preventative maintenance). you also may as well replace the four seals too: front/rear differential, input shaft and shift rod.

as far as cost goes, i think synchros are like 30$ each? mine were fine, so i didn't bother to check the price. the seals cost me about 2$ each, but you might pay more retail.

good luck with this, expect it to take a while so get a rental or take vacation time!

edit: for the record, if you open the case and discover that one of the gears is damaged, it would cost you less to replace the whole transmission.

mag_pbg
07-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Im acually kinda sick of dumping money into this car, when it runs it runs great it's just the one and two things that break every other week. It seems like once I replace something, something else goes so Im looking for a new car now, Im just waiting to see if I can get a loan. I found a nice 92 Teg LS with a 5 speed cd player and only 84K miles on it.

sjsjbb
02-07-2006, 07:59 AM
mine did same thing, easy to take apart with book. mine the needle bearings on 5th geer had seized up and the spacer collar seized to shaft. everything else seemes fine parts cost me 125.00. pick up thursday and start this weekend. screwed up after replaceing clutch and throwout. DONT PUT GEER OIL IN CASE CAUSE IT DOESENT GET UP AND INTO 5TH GEER THATS WHY MINE SCREWED UP. FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY.

AZmike
02-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Around here a complete transmission is about $100 at a cheap junk yard. You could have plenty of time to worry about fixing the old one while driving around with the j/y unit.

FyreDaug
02-07-2006, 12:12 PM
My suggestion, verify it is the transmission. Replace it with a used one and drive it. If you have to then, sell it for whats its worth with a working tranny. 300$ to replace tranny equates to about a 800$ loss if you were to sell as is right now. Its smarter.

sjsjbb
02-08-2006, 05:32 AM
im in pa and no where to get one and the ones i find are 300 to 500 if the junk yard has one . if i could get one somewherew else for 100 shipping would be 150 to 200.