PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to clean my carb out?

JeremyL
07-27-2005, 12:02 PM
it's been idlind and running kinda crappy lately so im hoping i can clean the carb out and maybe that will help out. can i just expose the carb start it up and spray carb cleaner right in it? is there any particular product that you guys recommend to clean the carb out?

shepherd79
07-27-2005, 04:51 PM
here is what you do:
1. remove the filter lid and spray some carb cleaner in there. make sure you go it good.
2. let it sit for while. go get some lunch, watch TV or what ever you want to do.
3. start the car. you will have some problems since carb cleaner doesn't ignite as good, but it should start.
let it run for a while and you are done.
you can't really clean the carb since all the passages are hidden. your best bet would be to take it apart and clean every part.

if the car idles bad, look for vacuum leak.

3rdCoast
07-27-2005, 07:37 PM
im not trying to steal the thread but could u name every place and way to check for a vac leak without a vaccume pump guage? i have idle problems to mostly i think the carb is in need of tuning and the a/c causes bad idle. I tried carb cleaner on the rear vac lines behind the carb and some other places under the carb and nothin happened.

JeremyL
07-28-2005, 08:59 AM
so i shouldnt spray it while its running then huh

i would have thought that would have been the way to go but ill try it and see what happens

biloyp
07-28-2005, 09:23 AM
im not trying to steal the thread but could u name every place and way to check for a vac leak without a vaccume pump guage? i have idle problems to mostly i think the carb is in need of tuning and the a/c causes bad idle. I tried carb cleaner on the rear vac lines behind the carb and some other places under the carb and nothin happened.

I had the same problem and somethings I did is to replace the motor mounts, but i still had some vibrations with the A/C on, especially in gear stopped at a light. I read through some threads here and adjusted the A/C idle adjustment located (standing in front of the car) front-bottom-right of carb. My car is an 89 Accord. I adjusted it last night, got in this morning to go to the store and my car would not shift out of 1st gear. RPM's were way up but no shifting (auto tranny). I openned the hood and backed the A/C idle screw out 1 turn and tested again with no problems now. I still want to test drive my car for a while to see if the idle and shifting problem is fixed and were related. Hopefully my tranny is ok and by adjusting that A/C idle screw it caused the shifting problem.

shepherd79
07-28-2005, 04:19 PM
3G carbs are known for idle problems.
you really need to get vaccum pump and honda shop manual. those two things can help a lot.
when i started to mess with my first carb accord, i didn't have all that stuff.
i ended up replacing all the vacuum lines. cost me preaty penny.

3rdCoast
07-29-2005, 01:13 AM
yeah i got the exact same problem as biloyp. I dont like the a/c idle screw i adjusted it some before and one day after i had the a/c system checked i messed with the screw and everything seemed to running good until i got to work and put the car in park and i was idling at 4000rpms!!!! 1500 in drive. That wasnt fun had to use both feet at a redlight on the break pedal. it suct.

A20A1
07-29-2005, 02:51 AM
If you're having idle adjustment problems check this thread

Recommendations for Idle Adjustment Procedure (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=44074)

and also this thread

A/C & Idle Problems (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=44621)