PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Up Exists!!!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Hello all!
There has been some previous discussion about the mythical auto-up feature that the power window switch in our cars might have. According to the shop manual, this does exist. I decided to look into this and opened up a spare window controller. It turns out, all the circuitry for auto-up is there already. In fact, the only missing link is a single wire that must occupy the only unused terminal on the switch connector. I successfully added this feature to my car. It is actually a lot easier to do with an 86-87 switch panel than the 88-89 because the 86-87 switches already have the extra contact installed in the switch body. For 88-89 switches you have to somehow get another contact, drill out the correct holes (which Honda marked actually, just didn't punch out and use). After that, its only a matter of soldering an extra wire to the switch contact and then adding it to the unused connector terminal. I also opted to add a little ridge inside the switch so the AUTO feature is separated from the normal action by a slight "click" if you will, just like AUTO down. This requires taking the switch apart, but is super easy. My first attempt at this was with an 88-89 switch, and I'd recommend getting the 86-87 version because it makes life a lot easier. I'll be happy to answer any questions about this little mod. :) I'll try to get some pictures up later. This feature is awesome. :deal:

Rendon LX-i
07-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Ummmm intresting. U should take some pics and post em

A20A1
07-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Interesting, but I get bodyparts in the way when I roll up a manual window... I'll get mangled if I made it power. :lol:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok, some pics. Sorry, the quality isn't the best.
http://zakm.front.ru/Car/072705-Switch-1.JPG
I drilled the two holes where the contact is supposed to go. There are marks on the switch body so you can easily see where its intended. This is a switch out of an 89 Accord, so it is the trickier way of doing this mod. You have to drill the holes, then get a contact from a spare switch and install it. Then solder a wire to it.
Another view:
http://zakm.front.ru/Car/072705-Switch-2.JPG
And a view of the other side:
http://zakm.front.ru/Car/072705-Switch-5.JPG
The wire in the top right corner is the one that needs to be added to the harness and soldered.

I'd recommend getting the 86-87 switch panel for this because its so much easier to use it. The switch already includes the little contact so no drilling and donor switches are required. You may have to modify the switch casing a little to allow for more movement in the UP position. A sharp exacto-knife does a quick job here.

P.S.: The 86-87 Switches have a white casing on the back instead of black plastic.

NXRacer
07-27-2005, 05:37 PM
you get a helluva a lot of kudos for figuring out that one! :D Great find! You should do a write up for a how-to and we'll stick it in the how-to section.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Hehe, that's two how-to's I gotta write now. First the fog light switch conversion, and now this. :) Give me a few days and I should have it.

mr eff
07-27-2005, 07:30 PM
very cool. tinker with your camera's aperture and turn off flash... that should help you focus on the switch instead of the bench. (if it's a point and click camera, usually the "flower" icon means wider aperture -- closer range.)

i'd like to do this myself, once i get the time. thanks for doing the leg work!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I'll definitely take some better picture for the how-to. This is surprisingly easy with the 86-87 switches. I did an 89 first, took almost an hour. Then I tried an 86-87 switch and it took 10 minutes to make it work. I wonder why Honda didn't enable this feature in US?

P.S.: Where do I post the how-to once I get it done?

mr eff
07-27-2005, 07:56 PM
i guess there are no toll booths or freeway on-ramps in the USA... :uh:

have to laugh at myself when i've got to hold the window up button while shifting furiously

A20A1
07-28-2005, 12:13 AM
I'll definitely take some better picture for the how-to. This is surprisingly easy with the 86-87 switches. I did an 89 first, took almost an hour. Then I tried an 86-87 switch and it took 10 minutes to make it work. I wonder why Honda didn't enable this feature in US?

P.S.: Where do I post the how-to once I get it done?

Make a post in the technical section and lable it how-to

I'll delete any posts not made by you and move the thread to the how-to section.

Hash_man_Se_i
07-28-2005, 12:25 AM
very cool... such a small thing but would be really handy... but i need to get my drivers window going down first thing... haha

Blkblurr
07-28-2005, 04:18 AM
Good find man. I'm going to do this to mine. My wife's Pilot has this feature. I wonder why honda changes their mind on this one. I know it could be a safety concern for some but who knows.

ICEMAN707
07-28-2005, 11:33 AM
is that auto-up for just the driver's side window or all of them? would be nice to rig your windows to your alarm to where they go up and close automatically when you activate the alarm. i know there's a way to do it with control modules but i was wondering if this would be a cheaper and easier way.

i was thinking of getting a JDM driver's side door panel just so the passenger side could have auto-down and control to the rear windows.

smufguy
07-28-2005, 01:30 PM
thats awsome bro. Im gonna go and get 4 86-87 driver side switches when time comes.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-28-2005, 04:45 PM
To rig this for all windows, you'll have to do some wiring. You first need three of the auto-enabled switches, three master control units, and you'll have to run two signal wires to each door's master control unit. and interconnect them with the harness in your driver's door. I think its probably easiest to just do the passenger front door since it would involve far less wiring. I have a spare control unit, maybe I'll do that next ;)

POS carb
07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
What car did your controler come from (not the switch)???

Mine had a dead end in the circuitry!!! The pin is there but it doesn't go anywhere!
Arrrgh! I was busting my brains trying to rig it with extra relays!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
My spare controller is out of an 89 SEi. I don't know what the controller in my car came out of because I know it was changed. I'll look next time I open up the door. Both controllers apparently have the circuitry though.

HondaBoy
08-01-2005, 07:20 PM
hmm, i just saw this. that was something i was wanting to do! i love that feature on my friend's jetta. is it possible to make this work on all the window's instead of just the driver window? i'll be trying this out when i have a chance. i'm great with electrical.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-01-2005, 08:49 PM
It's theoretically possible. Since you need to install individual controllers in the doors, you'd have to run two signal wires to each door so that you can tell the controller to engage the auto features. I'll look into this once I finish the basic How-to (college stuff has been causing some chaos in my life lately)

CALM01
08-02-2005, 09:04 PM
well i'm here to tell you that it most definitely exists. My 89 Si sedan comes stock with full control panel for all four windows, as well as auto up for the drivers window. so there you go...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-02-2005, 09:55 PM
well i'm here to tell you that it most definitely exists. My 89 Si sedan comes stock with full control panel for all four windows, as well as auto up for the drivers window. so there you go...

You have a JDM/Australian version of the Accord. The only real difference is your driver window switch that has the AUTO feature. Your switch already has the extra contact and wire installed, whereas the US Accords are missing this one contact and wire. Otherwise the control panel is the same.

BlueBead
08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
so... any progress on the how-to??? I picked up an arm today that has a little white box in the back and I'm wondering what I should be doing to it before it becomes a part of the new and improved door panels

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Sorry...I've been rather busy with starting college and now this hurricane crap is also interfering with everyday life. I'll try to take some good pictures as soon as possible. Since my classes are now all postponed I should have some more free time. Sorry it has taken so long.

carotman
08-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I might try to do that mod soon. Seems to be quite useful. However, whatch out for your hands :D

BlueBead
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
yeah, I'd like to add auto up on all my doors from the drivers seat since I'm usually the only one in there... anyone done it all around yet???
I'm willing to do it if someone can give me a wiring diagram and find me somewhere to get the right parts cheap, b/c I got the last accord power switches from my j/y a couplea days ago
-I'm thinking this will really fit in with the rest of the car stuff thats getting uprgraded soon

kaltenacht
08-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Awesome, that sounds like something ill be doing, once i finished fixing my power windows. Now only if our cars had a auto open for the sun roof....

thegreatdane
08-29-2005, 10:26 AM
And an auto up and down feature for the power antenna :) Actually the auto close/open sunroof thing would be nice to have.
I noticed that the auto up feature existed in the drivers door one time I had the interior door panel removed and had to roll up the window. I shorted the wrong wire in the plug and it automatically went up. I also wondered about it then.

HondaBoy
09-01-2005, 09:23 AM
i'm going to look into modding my switches for the auto up. i'd really like that on both front windows. backs would be nice but for sure i want to get it done for the fronts. i think i'll try that like next week or so since i'll have a bunch of time.

88accordalltheway
09-01-2005, 12:07 PM
awesome mod, ill be doing this too later on. Only ill have all my windows auto up and down.

HondaBoy
09-02-2005, 04:03 PM
see, that's really what i want to do is have all 4 windows go up and down automatically without having to hold the switch. would make it easier like when i'm parking. i usually get 3 windows up and miss the 4th one somehow. anyway, it looks more or less, simple. considering you dont really have to rig anything up. i'll start with the driver side window though and see how i like that. just to see if i can do it correctly. i ought to see if i can get auto up on our '02 accord, that'd be nice. along with auto open and close sunroof.

Strugglebucket
07-17-2006, 02:08 AM
i just did the auto up mod on my car and i'm real happy with it. not too hard like you guys said, but there was another complication i discovered.

i went and got the switch with a white backing from an '87 to use. it had the extra contact on it and the switch moved all the way to the up side. when i took apart the door panel on my '89 lx-i, i discovered that the switch i had was a white backed one with the extra contact. i tried to use it but discovered that it didn't have the full range of motion like the '87 one. instead of trying to cut it i just swapped the '87 switch in.

A18A
07-17-2006, 02:12 AM
i didnt really read through the thread properly so flame me if i missed it but what is auto-up?

thegreatdane
07-17-2006, 02:19 AM
it's excactly what it looks like.

...the drivers side window rolls up automatically with just one touch of the button.

A18A
07-17-2006, 02:29 AM
it's excactly what it looks like.
...the drivers side window rolls up automatically with just one touch of the button.
they already do that dont they? mine does :S

thegreatdane
07-17-2006, 02:36 AM
That's because yours is a JDM model. USDM and EDM models dont have that feature enabled for some reason.

A18A
07-17-2006, 03:37 AM
That's because yours is a JDM model. USDM and EDM models dont have that feature enabled for some reason.
i guess that would probably be cause when honda made the LHD cars they forgot to add the extra 1 wire?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-17-2006, 11:39 AM
i guess that would probably be cause when honda made the LHD cars they forgot to add the extra 1 wire?

I suspect it may have been some sort of DOT safety requirement. The Auto-Up feature has no provision for stopping the window if something is in the way (read: children's appendages, etc.).

P.S.: I totally forgot about the How-To for this. Gonna host the pics and post it up. I've had it written up and ready to post for months. My appologies. :(

P.P.S.: I can't live without this feature now. Never got around to doing the passenger door though, mostly because I don't use the window on that side.

A18A
07-17-2006, 07:08 PM
I suspect it may have been some sort of DOT safety requirement. The Auto-Up feature has no provision for stopping the window if something is in the way (read: children's appendages, etc.).
P.S.: I totally forgot about the How-To for this. Gonna host the pics and post it up. I've had it written up and ready to post for months. My appologies. :(
P.P.S.: I can't live without this feature now. Never got around to doing the passenger door though, mostly because I don't use the window on that side.
then i supose shorting the windows straight 2 the battery so you could use them without the keys is a bad idea then?? what if there was some kinda sensor that automaticly goes down when something is stopping it from going up?

MessyHonda
07-17-2006, 07:24 PM
lol some one here said that they liked that feature on a friends jetta...well my friend also has a jetta...he just pushes the buttons down and the driver and passanger window goes down....last time he was talking about it and he said i think this is for manual cars only....well it would be nice to have it....you need better pics...i cant see it...well this should be a damn sticky...where are the mods when you need them. gl on the write up you already got half of it done

'89AccordLX(Rus)
07-17-2006, 07:44 PM
lol some one here said that they liked that feature on a friends jetta...well my friend also has a jetta...he just pushes the buttons down and the driver and passanger window goes down....last time he was talking about it and he said i think this is for manual cars only....well it would be nice to have it....you need better pics...i cant see it...well this should be a damn sticky...where are the mods when you need them. gl on the write up you already got half of it done

I posted the how-to with better photos in the Technical Forum. Just waiting for a mod to move it to the how-to section now. Enjoy :)

Overdosed,

The Accords do not have any sensors that could tell the controller to stop the motion of windows if something is in the way. The driver's door window motor comes equipped with a sensor that tells the controller when the window has reached its maximum travel points (ie. motor stops rotating). This is the limit of the 3G technology for windows.