PDA

View Full Version : anyone rebuild an auto tranny?

86 barnstormer
07-28-2005, 11:23 AM
i rebuilt the engine earlier this year and of course the tranny is next since it's pretty much going out.

88Accord-DX
07-29-2005, 01:00 AM
I seen a post on here that "Pos carb" re-built one.
rebuilding the automatic
:pc:
If you attempt to try it, get a good manual on the break down. If you not sure what your doing, might not be worth it..

oldsub86
07-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Much cheaper than hiring it done. Our old Accord needs a tranny rebuild. The quote from a shop that my b-in-l uses (he is a mechanic) was $1G if I pulled and delivered it. The cost of the parts is a whole lot less. I was planning to try it but now am wondering if the RUST is too bad to justify the investment in mechanicals. Have to look at it again to see if we are going to proceed or dispose of it.

POS carb
07-29-2005, 10:03 AM
it'll run you under $200 for the rebuild kit and a new converter, however if there is metal in the tranny chances are there is something much more serious screwed up like the diff or the actual case is out of alignment. It is a hell of a job to do so be ready for about a week of downtime (miine took 2 b/c some of the needle bearings fell apart and i had to special order them from honda at around $30 a pop)
oh and taking the clutches apart: you need to compress the drum down and pull out a tiny retainer ring, I screwed mine up trying to hammer it out.
I'd recommend buying a junker tranny for $100 at the u-pull and rebuilding that. get an 88-89, they have a beefier clutch housing

P.S. in the end the tranny ran for a week or two before metal shavings clogged it up again and I bought a 5 speed

86 barnstormer
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
it's not my daily driver so downtime is no prob. i mostly want to do it for the learning experience. i've converted the pedals out from auto to standard but the bell housing on the standard has a piece broke off where one of the mounts hooks up. that's why i'm not doing that yet.

DanG86LX
08-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Rebuilt mine last year and still going strong.. here (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=39112)
If the whole car shudders when upshifts 1-2 proly 2nd clutch guide is broken. At least it was on my 86 so had to buy a used one from a autotrany parts dealer..
Documentation is plenty.. download Paul's manuals both 62SE300 and 62SE310. Amazingly our AT is like a manual one with 2 shafts main and secondary ones. But also some 26 valves stacked on 5..6 layers which need to be cleaned..
Good luck! :cool:

86 barnstormer
08-02-2005, 08:32 PM
thanks dang86lx