PDA

View Full Version : how to install new brake pads?

zerovisual
08-12-2002, 08:04 AM
I need to install new front brake pads really bad. I finally got a little bit of cash and I need to jump on this before it gets spent.

I need someone to either describe, or direct me to a how to on how to replace the front pads on my LX-I. I've never done it before and no one is around today to ask.

So.. Help! :)

-zv

jteuton
08-12-2002, 09:18 AM
just take the wheel off and stare at it for a couple minutes. It all makes sense and is very simple. You might want to turn the rotors or get new ones. They are held on by the two phillips screws. There are two big bolts that hold the caliper on. Take that whole assemble off the rotor and take the old pads out. They have clips that hold them in. To get the new ones in you have to open the brake line and press in on the caliper at the same time to make room for the bigger pad. BE CAREFUL. if not done right you can get air into line and brakes then have to be bled. basically when you open the brake line fluid has to come out immediatley and no air come in. A neat trick some people use is a little tube run into a bottle off brake fluid when you do it. Pretty simple and clever too.

anchovies
08-12-2002, 12:12 PM
do a search on the internet...most cars are the same
-u need to take off the lower caliper bolt and then swing the caliper upwards...u don't need to take it off
-remove the brake pads and install new ones with some "brake quite" grease (some blue stuff or orange stuff depending on which u buy)
on the back of the pads and on the shims-u'll need a c clamp or a large vise grip to push the caliper piston back so that it can go over the new, thicker pads....use an old brake pad and put it over the piston, then clamp the pad and the back of the caliper to push the piston in
-then swing back the caliper down ...bolt in back on...done

hope tht helps

zerovisual
08-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys.. I went out earlier and got some pads and tore the bitch apart in the driveway. Everything went alright. Just took it for a test drive.. Works good.. Gonna go out later and do some more gradual braking to ease them in.. Only problem is when I let off the brake pedal, I hear a squeak. Until then, it's silent, so I suspect the caliper piston is squeaking as it lets off the pad. Any other conclusions? How would I go about getting rid of that, or will it recede by itself?

Thanks!

jteuton
08-12-2002, 12:57 PM
mine did that and i used an ass load of the blue stuff. It went away after a few minutes of driving but it had that same squeak for the first few miles....ain't hurt anything out of them ever since.

shepherd79
08-12-2002, 01:07 PM
it would be wise to invest into manual. Eather Haneys or Chilton.

pimp86LX
08-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
it would be wise to invest into manual. Eather Haneys or Chilton.

my manual told me less than this board did.

all ya have to do is stare at it, and it will all make sense