PDA

View Full Version : chatter/grinding at idle after replacing clutch

kyleeatsrocks
07-29-2005, 01:43 AM
i have a 88 lx-i that i just replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, flywheel and cv's on. we just got it off the jacks and tried to start it.

when i started it, it began to make a metal on metal noise, like a grinding and tapping noise. we assumed that one of the starter bolts might have been too long and maybe had gotten in the way of the flywheel, so we removed them and didn't see anything on them. but there looked to be metal shavings on the starter hole. so we decided to turn the engine over and looked if anything was damaged.

my friend starts to turn it, and i see what the problem is. two metal tabs from the pressure plate are hitting the transmission housing. we kept turning it over and we could see where it was hitting and we could hear more grinding when they went back down again. all we could really think about the whole thing was "what the fuck".

the clutch set is a schucks kit, which had the name of spx. it was $120, and the only reason i got it was because i'm a delivery driver, it was the only one they had in stock and i needed the parts immediatly.

i would like some suggestions on what to do. assuming that we installed the plate correctley, which i am fairly certain we did, i might dremel the tabs down so they don't hit anymore. but, i'm not sure if that would screw up the weight balance of it or not.

thanks,
kyle

88Accord-DX
07-29-2005, 02:08 AM
I can't beleive the pressure plate would hit the bell housing. Did you check the old one (pressure plate) with the new one to see if it was the same width? Did you use an alighment tool when you installed the pressure plate to the flywheel? I'm sure if you matted everything together that was done properly...
EDIT- If you looked at it & at the tabs can be dremeled down, I''m worried how far you can take them down without them popping out from the pressure needed to hold the plate.

kyleeatsrocks
07-29-2005, 02:26 AM
we used the alignment tool when we put everything on. i can't remember if we compared the pressure plate or not. the tabs on the new one might be longer than the old one, but i'm not sure at the moment.

i think the round tabs (more like metal pegs) are there to hold the parts of the plate together. there are two that i could see that are hitting around the starter area. i will look at it again tommarow after i get some rest and try to take some pictures of it.

thank you for responding

-kyle

88Accord-DX
07-29-2005, 02:31 AM
The only thing I see with dremeling them down, is don't take them too far. The pressure plate needs the beveled edges of the rivetted bolt to keep force applied to the plate. Just make sure you don't take off more than enough. Let use know how it works out.

kyleeatsrocks
07-30-2005, 12:57 AM
okay, i talked it over with my brother after he looked at it, and he figures that the pressure plate is either the wrong one or it wasn't put together correctly at the factory. i am going to have to drop the transmission again, and i'll take some pictures of the metal pegs and where it was hitting the housing.

-kyle

kyleeatsrocks
08-02-2005, 01:28 PM
the trans has been dropped, a new set installed, and put back. there were two metal pegs sticking out of holes that didn't get knocked out at the factory. it chewed just below the starter pretty good, but it's just cosmetic. problem solved. thank you for your help Dereck.

-kyle

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
lol man im so glad im not the only 1 this has happend 2. i just got done putting my tranny clutch kit axles and shift kit in and im getting the same noise. well least i know how 2 take everything apart now and should only b a 1 day job. i wounder what it is on mine thas doing it. kinda makes u wanna shed a tear when u hear that sound. but yeah i guess ill b dropping mine agn and checking every thing. but see mine only does it when i push the clutch in. anyone help me? {EDIT} iv found my problum it was the bracket that is under the tranny only had 1 bolt and was dragging into the flywheel. so imma get the other bolt and put it all back in 2marrow and see if it will still do it if so then that mean the 4th time i gotta drop it. errr i replaced 4 trannys in my 86 lude and now this car.. oh and the bolts that hold my thermostat in snapped on me so i gotta replace those also. :uh: l8z