PDA

View Full Version : Finally - NEW PICS - Fresh Respray!

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 04:35 AM
After 4 months of work, mostly done by myself. Sanding, prepping, spraying and clearing. She's done.

Paint is Ford Monza Red with a hint of Lilac pearl, 4 layers of clears, first layer containing the pearl. This is the first time i've ever sprayed a car.

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/1.jpg
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/2.jpg
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/3.jpg

Things to Note
1a. Car is obviously only about 65% done.
1b. Mouldings Aren't Done, Have to completely re do them! :mad:
2. Bonnet + Bumper + Front Guards needs a full alignment, its all off :mad: Snapped a bolt for the bonnet bonnet aswell :mad: :mad:
3. Car needs a wash & polish will get that done after the alignment is corrected. :bowrofl: Rims are filthy, want to get 'em polished up aswell.
4. Interior is a bigger mess than Iraq & Vietnam put together. :deal: Needs a full vaccum, and wash. - I'm going to redo the interior next after the exterior is done. Theme will be everything black, seats, plastics, etc, only red will be on the door vinyl.
5. Got new Diamond clear headlight lenses on the way. :bowrofl: Already have the Philips H4's in, the olds Headlight lenses are pretty bad though.
6. Obviously need to put the side markers back on.
7. Front bumper indicators need new lenses, is someone interested in making me a set of clears?
8. The plastic surrounds for the headlights, I'm going to spray them the same color as the car once the new headlights arrive and panels are re-aligned.

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 04:37 AM
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/4.jpg
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/5.jpg
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/6.jpg
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~cmwmjt83/7.jpg

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Pics don't do it justice, tonight after going into the parking at work in the dark, it was bloody bright, stood out compared to everyone elses cars.

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 04:42 AM
Other things to be done,

1. New windshield washers Needed
2. Still some black pics around windows need to be resprayed, sanded 'em but didnt spray 'em due to my moisture trap cracking :mad:
3. Wiper blade arms need to be resprayed too.

snow_man_20
07-29-2005, 05:21 AM
holy big picks!, arrest me red? not the best color IMO. but it's nice to see somebody fixing up a old honda, i bet you can't wait till it's done.

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 05:49 AM
Sure can't wait. It's bright, no doubts. Originally I was going to spray it black with lilac mixed into the paint and plenty of clear. At the last minute I changed my mind, because 1. I was worried all the imperfections would show up with black. 2. I wanted something bright and different.

w00tw00t111
07-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Nice color. Really stands out which I'm assuming you were going for. Where did you spray it? In the garage? or an actual booth.

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 06:26 AM
A very tight garage, which relied on natural air flow.

I made sure though I did things like wet the floor, I used a big ass industrial heater to keep the room warm during some cold winter nights while I was spraying till 1am.

To minimise dust I sealed up as much of the garage as possible, crack etc, painted everything walls, ceilings. Garage is old, 50years old and falling apart.

Considering the enviroment I had to work in I did a brilliant job. Unfortunately where I live I don't have a personal car park, where the photographs are taken is the car park the car lives in normally, (thats the downfall of living in an appartment building)

Busted_Blue
07-29-2005, 07:09 AM
Jdm Tails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Personally I don't like 'em. All the Aus model accords have 'em.

www.ozeparts.com.au find the 86-89 accord, you can order a set off there.

I have a broken set of the US ones, the lenses are cracked, will eventually replace it with clear lenses.

mr eff
07-29-2005, 08:43 AM
they ever make those for the coupe? i'd kill for a pair

gr3k0sLaV
07-29-2005, 08:56 AM
U should be able to adapt 'em to a coupe. I'd imagine the bolt holes and all would be the same. Only difference I can think of would be that you'd need the centre bit that attaches to the bumper, centre plastic piece whatever its called.

superaccord
07-29-2005, 10:59 AM
just put a 4-door trunk lid on your coupe and tadaaa... there yougo..
EDIT....Ah guess it wont work... :uh:

HostileJava
07-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Coupe tails are mounted differently and don't include that metal peice that is between the bumper and the light itself that is part of the sedan tails, and I personaly am not a fan to the JDM lights on our accords. However the car looks awsome. Good job.

jigga225
07-29-2005, 12:22 PM
man that's a bright red. But I know you feel good after a fresh paint Job... I'm hoping to do the same soom.
Good work.

lostforawhile
07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
looks great, i will be at the paint stage soon. hopefully this fall, have to do a little pull on the left rear corner,no big deal, and have to fix a shallow dent in the rear quarter. I'm trying to go as perfect as possible so it takes a long time. if you can do that kind of a job in an old garage, hopefully i'll be able to do the same in a booth. i have a 50 year old garage myself :lol: so i can imagine what you went through.

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2005, 12:47 AM
There was pretty hefty dent in the rear passenger quarter, had it banged out filled it but it's still there. Not very noticeable.

Its hard yakka, don't underestimate. I was at many times close to quitting, and thinking I bit off more than I could chew.

Basically I took a big risk with handling the spray gun for the first time, all my experience was from reading heaps of shit, and not really practicing. My practice came in the primer and filler stage. It's all about the right mix between pressure, spray pattern, spray amount, distance from gun to panel and hand movement.

Basically with the colour coats, primer, I used a very wide fan, used alot of paint but paint went on good and smooth. When I did the first colour coat I used a narrow beam, which had the result of showing visible transition lines between overlaps, and gave the surrounding areas a very very rough finish, a panel beater friend of mine showed me how to correct the spray gun settings and voila, instant improvement.

Basically wide as possible fan, and overlap by 50%. I sprayed at 50psi, pressure.

lostforawhile
07-30-2005, 02:37 AM
my wife and i are taking an auto collision course so we are taking it one step at a time, we have done a lot of repair work on the body already, that filler panel was one of the worst,i have to do some minor rust repair in the hatch, as usual the bump stops are rusted out, i've got another hatch,but i've done so much work on this one that i'm just going to drill out the spot welds and transfer the bump stops. I've been working on this car for six years and i've got to that frustation point many times already.everything is done but the body and some minor interior stuff. I nearly set fire to this thing when i had to do that heater core,what a nightmare. I think i've taken everything on this car apart at some point,and replaced nearly everything on it. :) when you do your interior just take it a little bit at a time, it took me nearly three years to get my interior the way i want,the first couple of attemps i didn't like. notice there is no antenna on the car eithier, that was a pain in the ass because the sparks from the welder kept going into the car,but it's all metal. I always hated those antennas :lol: when you get your interior done you'll have a nice car,make sure you take lots of pics for us,and check out my site sometime,its under my pic. Keep up the good work

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2005, 03:00 AM
Interior should be fun. I'm trying keep it simple.

Basically everything black, carpet, seats, vinyl, etc. Only red will be vinyl on the door trimmings. I'll go probably monday and get the vinyl and get the door trimmings back on.

Vinyl paint for the other things.

Basically time is a big issue since i'm back at university. I've just re-attached the side markers tonight so the front end looks less of a mess.

The front grill, and plastic bits I need to sand and spray black. Will do that next saturday. Along with the headlight plastics.

Hopefully i'll be dropping it off soon for the alignment to be fixed. Also i'll be fracking off the bonnet latch and going for hood pins, providing I can find some nice looking key lock ones. I hate the latch on the car, its shit.

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2005, 03:11 AM
Actually I have my JDM corner lights, which I am willing to give up in exchamge for an american set, the 88-89 and the eyebrow bits. If anyone is willing to work out a deal with me.

88Accord-DX
07-30-2005, 03:21 AM
Your car looks good. Reminds me of what me car looked like when I had it "freshly" painted, which I did myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/front1.jpg

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Cars looks nice, good job. Question where did those corner lights come from?

Your car looks good. Reminds me of what me car looked like when I had it "freshly" painted, which I did myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/front1.jpg

88Accord-DX
07-30-2005, 04:56 AM
Cars looks nice, good job. Question where did those corner lights come from?
Thanks. Everyone ask me that. I got them on ebay. Procarparts sells them on there last I know. I got my clear bumper signals on there too. (not in this pic)

Here is the link for them on ebay. Need to open up an account with eBay to bid on them though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89-HONDA-ACCORD-CLEAR-FRONT-CORNER-LIGHTS-IN-STOCK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33708QQitemZ79894 98778QQrdZ1

gp02a0083
07-30-2005, 05:40 AM
nice job for ur first time spraying , i did the same thing with my 442 only that i realized that putting pearl in the clear coat give it a "floating" look but if u run the clear ur skrwed , good thing u also put on 4 coats of clear now u got some room to sand and polish

88Accord-DX
07-30-2005, 06:40 AM
good thing u also put on 4 coats of clear now u got some room to sand and polish
I wish I had 4 coats of clear on it. The base/clear coat is tricky to work with. This was my second paint job. Seems to me the clear is harder to work with. I plan on re-doing the clear on it cause I have a few flaws I don't care for. There are some small runs & uneven spots that I hate. I plan on sanding it down & spraying it with a few more coats of clear. My base coat looks fine. I would have done this long time ago. I'm waiting untill after I rebuild my motor, cause I don't want anything to get messed up over it.

firelizard
07-30-2005, 07:21 AM
That looks really hot, can't wait to see the car all put back together.
About the painting though, I've heard that wetting the floor is a very bad idea because it increases the humidity in the room which obviously isn't good for painting, where you want the room clean and dry. The best thing to do apparently is to just meticulously clean the area and use a lot of exhaust ventilation.

88accordhb
07-30-2005, 09:18 AM
hey i like the monza red man, bet it looks kick ass during the day. keep up the good work.

truetune
07-30-2005, 05:07 PM
its flippin great. nice to see a 3g a new color. If I thought it might look good I would go lime green but or maby a sexi sky blue/baby blue.

superaccord
07-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Everyone a couple years ago painted their cars lime green or baby blue...I like the red you chose...looks pretty good. Don't you have to bake the paint after its applied?

w00tw00t111
07-30-2005, 08:11 PM
When you say 4 coats do you mean 16 coats? Like 4 coats that are insanely light added ontop of each other to equal one coat? Or just 4 heavy coats? Looks good what is the finally grit that you sanded it with?

3gn86lxi
07-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Jdm Tails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice!!!! I can get some D............... :rolleyes:

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2005, 10:51 PM
When you say 4 coats do you mean 16 coats? Like 4 coats that are insanely light added ontop of each other to equal one coat? Or just 4 heavy coats? Looks good what is the finally grit that you sanded it with?

Ok, basically I did 4 coats of colour equally mixed ratio to thinner.

"Coat means that I went over the panel completely once."

1 Coat of Clear with about 100ml of Lilac pearl. Actually I just used about 150ml of pearl, threw it in a 1L container of clear and mixed it.

4 Coats of straight untouched clear.

Mixing, I mixed 1:1.5 ratio Clear:Thinner

The ratios I determined all by eye, and I just used old glass jars. No measuring cups or anything.

Colour wise red wasn't even a consideration till the day I went & bought the paint.

Basically I was originally going Black with lilac mixed into the paint, I figured "shit, all this work for a black car, that might look shit"

So i took a risk and wanted a brighter colour, was thinking of going Devil Yellow which iso n the Monaro's, but decided red.

Looks sporty :rice:

gr3k0sLaV
07-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Everyone a couple years ago painted their cars lime green or baby blue...I like the red you chose...looks pretty good. Don't you have to bake the paint after its applied?

Only applies to 2-Pack, acrylic its not necessary.

w00tw00t111
07-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Pearl in the clear? Cool. Never tried that. Except when I do ghost flames.

gr3k0sLaV
07-31-2005, 02:20 AM
Pearl in the clear? Cool. Never tried that. Except when I do ghost flames.

Seriously? Well that's how its supposed to be done apparently.

Just dont put pearl in your final clear coats. Or else when you get it cut & polished.....................

Anyone interested in JDM sidemarkers? I will happily swap for a clear set.

And i'm talking a straight one for one swap. - I've done it before with shepherd79 so he can vouch for me.

-chris

gr3k0sLaV
07-31-2005, 03:06 AM
When I get time ill post a long winded post on spray painting. Basically to give hope to those without it.

A beginners guide for beginners, by a beginner.

HondaBoy
07-31-2005, 10:57 AM
i had taken my car to a body shop a few weeks ago. i'd wanted to have the guy get an idea of what i'm going to want for my car. color choices for me are what i have now which is champagne beige(gold), silver, black, or red and black. this AE86 is what i have in mind though. something in a scheme like this for the 3gee. i like the old school look. your 3gee looks pretty damn nice in red. that's great. looks very clean. i'm sure in person that paint is much more intense, with the pearl you have put in it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/ffb8337f.jpg

Ace
07-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Not bad color sure is bright

gr3k0sLaV
07-31-2005, 10:41 PM
It brighters in the flesh.