PDA

View Full Version : car stumbles above 3000 rpm

alexkol
07-29-2005, 04:46 PM
i have 87 honda accord dx that has been giving me some trouble. at first it would just stumble arround 5500-6200 rpms but recently the car would start to shake and misfire arround 3000 rpms so I replaced the spark plugs and the plug wires. which didnt stop the crazy misfiring and shaking and my car still stumbles at high rpms. i had the timing advanced today and that stoped the crazy misfiring at 3000 RPMs but it still stumbles at high RPMs and when i up shift my car will sometimes misfire. for example: im doing 60 in seccond gear at 6000 RPMs and the can stumbles and i shift into third. once I shift the car misfires and shakes for a second. I can keep it from shaking by letting off the throttle

im thinking that my plugs are not gapped correctly. i have the ngk v power plugs which came gapped at .44 but my gauge reads .044 I thought its a typo but im not sure but does anyone here recommend what gap i should use?

please help

keruhas184
07-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Check the distributor, replace the fuel filters. If your car isn't running well, why on earth would you rev it that high?

alexkol
07-29-2005, 05:09 PM
i thought it could be the filters, but it runs just fine if i dont rev it.
the only reason i was reving it was to see if the problem was fixed, because like i said i just had the timing changed and that fixed the CONSTANT stumbling at 3000K+ even i didnt rev it it would mess up. now it only messes up at high rpms and im gonna baby it this weekend untill i can replace the filters.

i checked the distributer and its just fine. thanks for the reply and if anyone else has any sugestions please post

POS carb
07-29-2005, 05:42 PM
i think the engine is starving for fuel wheter it be the filters of the pump

A20A1
07-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Click and Read through the link below, it explains how you check your booster venturies.
HOW-TO; CHECKING FOR LOOSE BOOSTER VENTURIES : FIX (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972)

alexkol
07-30-2005, 12:48 PM
i just recently replaced the fuel pump. i just noticed that it only stumbles when im going uphill and once i get to the top of the hill it runs fine.

im gonna replace the filters tommorow and if that doesnt work then im gonna check the booster verturis

alexkol
07-31-2005, 04:00 PM
i replaced my fuel filters and i checked the booster venturis. both would wiggle but only if i used some force and the wiggle was barely noticable. i also noticed that the choke plate wasnt completely closed. the car was warm and i was wondering if this was normal. i also noticed a vacume line that leads from the air box was disconnected. i couldnt figure out where it connects to. i only have two out of the 3 lines from the air box connected. can someone help me please

keruhas184
07-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Choke plate is supposed to be fully opened when the car is warm. I believe there is one vac line which serves as just a breather, but I'm not completely sure. I pic or two of your line connections would help.

alexkol
08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
i figured out where the vacume line went thanks to the diagram. im starting to think its my fuel pump

alexkol
08-02-2005, 05:43 PM
well today i couldnt start my car. the radio would not come on nor would the fan . my lights work and the clock does if i press the bottun but nothing else works. any ideas

A20A1
08-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Remove the battery terminals and clean them then hook the battery back up.

alexkol
08-03-2005, 04:47 AM
i already did that. i think its the ignition switch because i did hear it click kinda funny last time i turned it off

smufguy
08-03-2005, 07:13 AM
I had two problems with misfire at two different times, or to say stumble.

1. Bad fuel filter, i did not know that a fuel filter can make my car stumble this hard, it was bad very bad. changed the filter and it was fine.

2. bad atlernator lead cable. (the one that is bolted down). i was like why is my car doing this again, even after i changed my fuel filter. i was going crazy cause it happened before work, and then i connected a volt meter to it and realized i was pulling only 10volts on my gauge, checked the battery, it was good checked the alternator, the eyelet had rusted and broken off and was just letting the wire spark up without good connection, spent 6bux on a 4guage 15feet battery cable and custom wired that bitch up and no problem ever since.

Blkblurr
08-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Could be the vacuum advance on your dizzy isn't working correctly.

alexkol
08-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Could be the vacuum advance on your dizzy isn't working correctly.

i dont think thats the problem. i cant even get the car to crank now. if i turn the key to the first position my cd player works like normal. when i turn the key to the run position my fan doesnt come on or my check engine light or anything. when i try to start it nothing happens no crank no nothing. i tried a new ignition switch but that didnt fix it. i think i have some faulty wiring.
any ideas anyone?

smufguy
08-04-2005, 08:40 AM
sounds like an ecu, if the lights dont light up. ur problems seem to be growing. it seems like the ignition switch also, double check ur installation. try it when the switch out and run thru the posititions without it being hooked up to the tumbler.

diablo75
08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
i figured out where the vacume line went thanks to the diagram. im starting to think its my fuel pump

There is a test to figure out if your fuel pump is working. You put the ignition into 1 position, and listen for a faint whirring noise. It only lasts a second, so you may have to do it a few times to hear it. Also, the whirring should be constant once the car is actually running