PDA

View Full Version : Winter Mods?

g2driver
07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
O.K. im from southern Ontario and plan to drive my 3g all year round. Im confident that I could make an intake and do the vaccum removal, but im afraid of what might happen in the winter. It usually doesnt go below -30c outside.

If I made an intake, I could put the stock air filter/ assy back, but with the "black box" removal, the controlls for the intake will be removed. Could I maby incorperate the hose from the exhaust manifold heatsheild into the CAI with a solonoid for winter starting, or does anyone run a CAI on this car in the winter OK? Also would there be any other reason that the "black box removal" would be affected in the winter?

Thanks, Matt

lostforawhile
07-29-2005, 08:25 PM
O.K. im from southern Ontario and plan to drive my 3g all year round. Im confident that I could make an intake and do the vaccum removal, but im afraid of what might happen in the winter. It usually doesnt go below -30c outside.

If I made an intake, I could put the stock air filter/ assy back, but with the "black box" removal, the controlls for the intake will be removed. Could I maby incorperate the hose from the exhaust manifold heatsheild into the CAI with a solonoid for winter starting, or does anyone run a CAI on this car in the winter OK? Also would there be any other reason that the "black box removal" would be affected in the winter?

Thanks, Mattwell you have a carb right? the controls for the heat door are all in the air cleaner. you just need a vaccume source to run to the aircleaner. the heat door rises to only allow hot air into the intake
then when the air reaches a certain temp,a bleeder valve opens and allows the heat door to lower changing the tep of the incoming air. that bleeder valve,the check valve atc are all in the air cleaner. i'm not sure about canadian emmisions but the carb has an electric heater in the spacer to warm incoming air, there is supposed to be a temp control somewhere for that and a relay,but i haven't figured it out yet. the carb also has a coolant passage in it which helps warm it up there is a temp controled valve on the botttom of the intake,but it's independent of the black box also. your choke is completly seperate from the computer,it warms up and opens. not sure about how to hook up the fast idle unloader and stuff from it independently. there is another reason for all this stuff, it's carb icing,now everyone thinks this only happens in the winter,but it can happen up to 65 degrees f depending on the humidity. what everyone forgets is that when air goes through the venturi,as it increases in velocity,it gives up heat, the air temp can drop up to 30 degrees after the venturi, if there is a lot of humidity in the air, it forms ice in the carb throat,blocking air flow. it depends on velocity also, if the air is moving at high speed less ice has a chance to form,but when you let off the gas it builds up in a hurry. that's why honda has developed all these systems on the carb, not just for emissions. fuel injected cars don't have this problem since they have no venturi. i'm going to build a water heated system for my intake to use in the winter, it will be able to be turned on and off by me,but be automatic when on.

g2driver
07-30-2005, 06:11 PM
So if I used the air cleaner with a vaccum, the "black box" removal should not affect winter driving?

Thanks, Matt

lostforawhile
07-30-2005, 06:24 PM
So if I used the air cleaner with a vaccum, the "black box" removal should not affect winter driving?

Thanks, Mattright the temp control is in the air cleaner itself. there should be a vaccume hose that goes through a check valve to the airdoor motor, it will have a temp controlled beed valve
teed into it. the bleed valve is in the air cleaner base.

g2driver
08-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I just thought of the choke, it'd have to be converted to manual. Anything else?

~Matt

lostforawhile
08-06-2005, 11:32 PM
why would you have to convert the choke to manual? it's just a choke heater coil just like they have been since the electric choke was invented

g2driver
08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Yea, ok, for some reason I thought it was vaccum activated, Shuda checked b4 I posted.

~Matt