PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about exhaust sound

FyreDaug
07-29-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm building an exhaust system consisting of a pacesetter header (sigh, all I could find/afford anyways) and it will run 2.5" all the way back, probably hurting me before the rebuild, but anyways.

Has anyone tried what these motors sound like with a header and just a resonator? I'm trying to get the longest length 2.5" res I can find to have a Y before the rear tires (dual exit before rear tires). Best I can find right now in 2.5" res is 14". So I will buuy 3 of them and see what it sounds like with each one. If 1 is quiet enough I'll return the others.. and so on.

Can anyone describe the sound of an a20 with a header and a res?

FyreDaug
07-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Like, badly or can I expect something deep?

The engine will eventually have a wild cam, some head work and 10.5 comp, if it makes a difference. Will it be raspy at all? illegally loud?

FyreDaug
07-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Thats kinda what I'm going for, a wierd sound, but not a bad wierd you know what I mean? Would more (or longer) resonators reduce the wierdness/volume? I dont know for sure how much of an impact a resonator makes on sound, a chambered muffler I can understand, but I guess what I'm saying is I dont know how well a resonator reduces sound

A20A1
07-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Resonators are good, supposedly longer is said to make it deeper, but without a muffler there you'll probably run loud especially with a header.

hmm 3?

I would place two closer to the header and one near the end.

w00tw00t111
07-29-2005, 10:22 PM
cke does it sound like a the rally misfiring systems? Cause if so that would be freakin' awesome! I love that sound almost as much as the whine of a supercharger and the poosh of a BOV!

A20A1
07-29-2005, 11:28 PM
pop pop pop

Cherry Bombs are said to pop... I dunno about magnoflow. Pops can also be caused by the diameter of the pipe, the length on your exhaust system, a missfire, overheating engine, bad fuel mixture, or even an exhaust leak.

FyreDaug
07-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Some people may know of my exhaust idea, I want to find a really long one, but I cant seem to find them in 2.5" Anyone know of any? Specifically 24+inch. Id hate to spend so much of glass packs if I can get 1 big one instead.

Essentially this is how my setup will go:
Header to final collector will be 2.5"
Directly into a 2.5" res. Either 2x14" or a big one
Then some piping to an X pipe, with 2.5" diameter for all openings. Allowing 2.5" of exhaust to go through into it, splitting into 2 outs. The last one will be another in. allowing fresh air. Its a ram air exhaust theory I had. Donno if its gonna work the way I plan, but its R&D on my part.
Then into that split depending on the sound and the amount of money I have left, ,it will either be just 2.5" piping exiting before the tires, or another 2.5" resonator on both exits (with the exhaust flow in half, and fresh air coming through whatever sound will be "muffled" by the rushing air, and then some more by the new res's. But thats alot of res, and I am hoping for a decent sound.

Will I have a fart can sound? Or would it be something poppy, somewhat (legally) loud and hopefully quiet when it should be, and loud when it should be.

Alot of hoping, and I doubt its been done like this before. Header should arrive in a bit, and I have the funds for the rest of it right now. So basically when the header arrives, within 24 hrs I should have it on.

A20A1
07-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Some people may know of my exhaust idea, I want to find a really long one, but I cant seem to find them in 2.5" Anyone know of any? Specifically 24+inch. Id hate to spend so much of glass packs if I can get 1 big one instead.

Essentially this is how my setup will go:
Header to final collector will be 2.5"
Directly into a 2.5" res. Either 2x14" or a big one
Then some piping to an X pipe, with 2.5" diameter for all openings. Allowing 2.5" of exhaust to go through into it, splitting into 2 outs. The last one will be another in. allowing fresh air. Its a ram air exhaust theory I had. Donno if its gonna work the way I plan, but its R&D on my part.
Then into that split depending on the sound and the amount of money I have left, ,it will either be just 2.5" piping exiting before the tires, or another 2.5" resonator on both exits (with the exhaust flow in half, and fresh air coming through whatever sound will be "muffled" by the rushing air, and then some more by the new res's. But thats alot of res, and I am hoping for a decent sound.

Will I have a fart can sound? Or would it be something poppy, somewhat (legally) loud and hopefully quiet when it should be, and loud when it should be.

Alot of hoping, and I doubt its been done like this before. Header should arrive in a bit, and I have the funds for the rest of it right now. So basically when the header arrives, within 24 hrs I should have it on.

It wont be legal sound if you have a X pipe open for air to be rammed in.
You'd have to be moving pretty fast. I dunno if it's worth it.

Why not get a Y pipe and maybe before the Y , have an exhaust cut out facing backwards, that way you only let air in when you are up to speed... plus you can seal it off if it doesn't work.

A20A1
07-30-2005, 12:58 AM
I dunno, you may be able to find one in 2.5"
CUT-OUT (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400330+305285&autoview=sku)

FyreDaug
07-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Well there will be the majority (if not all) of the resonators before the X. And there will be a bit of a length of tube for that exhaust intake, running closer to the front. I dont think much exhaust will go out there, if anything the tube will keep a resonant sound from the exhaust passing BY it

w00tw00t111
07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Why not get a reducer for the exhaust pipe? That way you go from 2.5 to what ever you are using. Make it yourself or buy it from an exhaust shop and I think summit might carry it.
Also, can you explain the ram air exhaust idea? Not sure I quite get what it is or what it is supposed to be accomplishing.

modu03
07-30-2005, 05:02 PM
it sounds like a dirt track sprint car... loud as hell...

i drove around like that for a few months, people i raced thought i was running a burly v8 or somethin. and it pops just a little bit at idle and you get some big bangs from downshifting... set off every car alarm around you.

w00tw00t111
07-30-2005, 05:25 PM
it sounds like a dirt track sprint car... loud as hell...

i drove around like that for a few months, people i raced thought i was running a burly v8 or somethin. and it pops just a little bit at idle and you get some big bangs from downshifting... set off every car alarm around you.
What did you do for that? Just running a header back exhaust?

5spdaccordlxi
07-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Like, badly or can I expect something deep?

The engine will eventually have a wild cam, some head work and 10.5 comp, if it makes a difference. Will it be raspy at all? illegally loud?
very raspy and shitty. like a pissed off weedwacker or angry hornet.

modu03
07-30-2005, 07:26 PM
What did you do for that? Just running a header back exhaust?

actually i had the pacesetter headers, stock cat, and a 12" 2.5" ID glasspack attached directly to the cat, and no pipe beyond that.

FyreDaug
07-30-2005, 09:59 PM
The ram air just rams air into the already moving exhaust system, creating low pressure behind it while Im moving, effectively pulling the exhaust out of the cylinders when the valve opens. Its a theory, Im doing RnD

smufguy
07-31-2005, 06:59 AM
ever heard how a Neon SRT sounds like when gearing down? well thats how you will sound, cause the SRT does not have a muffler, just a resonator.

Busted_Blue
07-31-2005, 09:51 AM
i have a 22inch resonator and i think you can at least put a 24 with the cat before that 90degree bend

FyreDaug
07-31-2005, 03:40 PM
cke, thats fine, I dont know if its actually going to do anything anyways. Its just a theory I had. And it might be alright because at idle I would just get reverberation sound coming through that to the front. Might sound mean or stupid, who knows. Hopefully will know within a week
EDIT: And the SRT4 will be a little different, I havent heard what one sounds like anyways. But since they have a turbo it muffles the sound a little bit