PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft timing

AZmike
08-12-2002, 09:15 AM
I just installed a new timing belt and the engine runs...sort of. It seems a bit off: ideles a little rough, revs weird. I followed all the instructions carefully, but I'm guessing that I might have ended up being a tooth off. When the crankshaft is at top dead center is the camshaft also supposed to be at top dead center, or should there be a small difference between the two? Is the tension on the belt when you put it on supposed to be enough that when you move the crankshaft the 3 teeth to tension the belt that the camshaft also moves 3 teeth, or is the tensioning proceedure supposed to pick up some slack and make the crankshaft and camshafts hit TDC at slightly different times?

Thanks

jteuton
08-12-2002, 09:25 AM
when the crank is on the t mark the top on the cam gear should align with the studs on the head. so its not technically straight up. if its off loosen the tension bolt and pop the tensioning arm off the little stud to give you free play. Then slid the belt off the cam gear and move the gear a tooth in the direction you need to go. pull all slack out and put on the gear again. Don't pull so hard it disorients the crank gear. When you get it all together a few turn ccw will tighten everything. Go around 360 degrees and make sure all is smooth. And stop and see if its at top dead center. I guarantee you yours is retarded one tooth...and the top mark is slightly to the right of the studs. It doesn't pull at all and has no power...get off any more than that and your valves will see what a piston face feels like

AZmike
08-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Well my internet died so I went out and ended up doing pretty much what you recommended. Either way, it's nice to know I did the right thing. It turned out that I needed one more tooth on the front side and now the camshafft as close to TDC as possible. Now it runs great. I hadn't completely reassembled it and driven it, so I can't verify that how well it would have worked like that. Every time before I started it I spun the crankshaft twice to check for valve clash, so I knew it couldn't have been off by very much. Now all I need to do is get the PS and A/C belts back on, put the wheels back on and go for a test drive.

Of course I still have some hoses to replace and front pads to swap out.

jteuton
08-12-2002, 01:00 PM
it would have barely climbed a hill and it would have to work its ass off just to pick up speed to 40. We are lucky we have so much room to play around with our valvetrain.