PDA

View Full Version : Add acetone to your gas?

keruhas184
07-31-2005, 08:14 PM
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

What do you guys think? Won't this at the very least eat away at all the rubber and the fuel lines?

mr eff
07-31-2005, 08:36 PM
hmmm...

who to believe? the acetone industry or the big oil?!!?

i'd be most concerned about the deterioration of rubber as well; however, according to this information it doesn't affect it.

i did learn something though!!

Q. Where does acetone come from?
- It can occur naturally.
- Diabetics generate it. You can sometimes smell it in their breath.
i had no idea!

edit: if anything, i think the worst that would happen would be nothing. most fuels after 1992 or something contain up to 15% ethanol. as far as i know, the reaction between a ketone (acetone) and alcohol (ethanol) results in hydrocarbons of a sort. that just means your emissions wouldn't decrease like they said. furthermore, alcohol attracts water, creating more surface tension, which would mean no added vaporization.

who knows though, i'm not a chemist. i'd be willing to try it though

88Accord-DX
07-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Well, it says add 1-3 oz. per 10 gallon tank. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent.

I'm not so sure with that little amount of acetone to fuel ratio would cause the rubber hoses & fuel filter to deteriorate. It says it eats cheap plastics. I would think that over time it would eventually. That is kind of a thing whether you want to take a chance of it's consequence verses the fuel economy it gives.

Oldblueaccord
07-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Well, it says add 1-3 oz. per 10 gallon tank. This comes to between 0.0003 % to 0.0025 % acetone maximum or approximately 1/15th of one-percent.

I'm not so sure with that little amount of acetone to fuel ratio would cause the rubber hoses & fuel filter to deteriorate. It says it eats cheap plastics. I would think that over time it would eventually. That is kind of a thing whether you want to take a chance of it's consequence verses the fuel economy it gives.

I have been doing it on my old chrysler car for a while. Its a 318 4 barrel. It works :birthday: I get sometimes as much as 3 mpg improvement.

I put acetone in a small 1 g gas can mix the gas there at the station then dump it in and fill the tank. I dont mix it to carefully really but I know more is not better. there should be several threads on this one on pirate4x4.com if you search.

Not sure about the bad effects its been about 6 months now only. I know I have put way more isopropol alcohol then that in gas before.

There an artical in maybe 2 months prior in sport compact car on gas doping to raise your octane.

wp

buds302
08-01-2005, 07:45 AM
next thing you know people are filling thier car up with acetone cause they mis read the instructions!

cubert
08-01-2005, 08:05 PM
there was a thread on here that had to do with toulene (sp?)..anyone ever try that out?

Immeraufdemhund
08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
we did that to an old maxima and it saw 35mpg with the acetone and 27 without all for the same trip. We ran that test 4 times. With, w/o, w/o, with... and it gave us the same results. i usually use carb cleaner (which has acetone) to clean all my parts up and i dont think it really eats up the gaskets and seals all that much. (doesn't say much though). Also it's a good water remover which could help on some rust problems.

AccordEpicenter
08-07-2005, 09:35 AM
im not sure about acetone, but you can add xylene and toluene to add octane, works good but all of those chemicals are nasty toxic and flammable as EFF. Alchohols are very corrosive, but acetone/xylene and toluene arent

Justin86
08-13-2005, 04:59 PM
yea or I would try toluene. Have to a stronger mix then a 1% mix for sure to get a decent raise in octane. But the pro race guys basicaly run striaght toluene so it does work.