PDA

View Full Version : Underpowering A Sub

g2driver
08-01-2005, 04:15 PM
I have a old amp, that is 100w, 2 channel, that I got with my other car.(no subs) Im thinking of buying a sub, maby 2, and a decent one(s). Later im thinking of upgrading the amp. My question is would there be any problems with underpowering the sub(s)? Ive heard you would, but I wouldn't be going for maxiumum gain on my old amp. Obviously it wouldn't be super loud thou.

Thanks,
~Matt

halxi
08-01-2005, 04:45 PM
I had problems explaining this last time, but ill just lay down the general concept.

When you underpower a sub theres more DC then AC current flowing through the sub, thus causing the coil to stick then fry. Or maybe its more AC then DC, im not 100% positive.

Vanilla Sky will be able to explain this in better/futher detail.

g2driver
08-01-2005, 05:04 PM
So, say, in thery I had 50w each channel out of the HU, and I had (2) 500w subs. What size amp would I need? 1000w, or 900w, more or less? I'm usually good at electronics, its just these subs I cant grasp.

Thanks, Matt

Vanilla Sky
08-01-2005, 06:11 PM
it's never good IMO to put an amp at max gain. that's when you have the largest chance of hitting the DC rails of the amp, which is known as "clipping." when you drive an amp into clipping, you run into the chance of blowing your sub because of a lack of cooling.

now, if you have pretty serious subs, i doubt you could kill them with that amp, ever.

also, a proper enclosure will be a big help here. if you have your sub(s) in a properly tuned enclosure, you're going to enjoy your system a lot more.

g2driver
08-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks, now im thinkin of Rockford Fosgate, threy OK?, I can get em pretty cheap, im 17.

~Matt

Vanilla Sky
08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
i say avoid them at all costs. for a cheap and good driver, look at the dayton drivers on www.parts-express.com

87DXHatch
08-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Man, Vanilla, I left this place in GREAT hands. Dayton drivers kick ass. If you can get RF stuff for VERY cheap, I'd say go for it, but I would never run their gear personally.

Another website to check out for awesome cheap subs: www.edesignaudio.com I run one of their older subs (e15a), and I actually have another 15" of theirs for sale, the e15k. It's dual 4-ohm coils, ~600 watts RMS power handling, really really sweet, $100 shipped. I gots the pics if yous gots the wants.

FyreDaug
08-09-2005, 03:06 PM
RF stuff isnt bad, well their older stuff. But since its older its not as good as some of the newer stuff. I like the sounds of alpine, but then again I havent run a whole lot systems in my car. I had an old RF punch 12" and upgraded to a 12" Type R in a ported box, still using the same 200w RF amp, it sounded much better.

But back to topic here, underpowering subs wont hurt them, turning up the gain until it distorts will. Until you have a good amp, just keep the bass down, you cant run them very loud anyways. Just like overpowering subs wont hurt them*** its all in the tuning.

***, I mean directly it wont hurt them, overtime you could burn out the coil, but we're talking like more than 50% overpowering. Anything less (pref, less than 25% more) I would say from personal experiencee is fine.