PDA

View Full Version : hey, it turned out okay!

mr eff
08-01-2005, 05:53 PM
so i decided that i was going to redo my dash lighting with all white, but i couldn't very well leave the clock green.

since everything else can be converted to white, including the climate controls (with some serious patience), i took a gamble and bought a clock from a 1990 civic sedan. i've seen them at the job, and i knew they were white-faced, and they even looked fairly similar.

after some sawing, grinding, cursing, beer-drinking, soldering and fume-inhalation, i ended up with this!

http://accord.chocolatethought.com/pictures/accord_dash_clock1r.jpg

http://accord.chocolatethought.com/pictures/accord_dash_clock2r.jpg

Deadhead
08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
sweet, looks nice, wish my dash clock worked lol.

Busted_Blue
08-01-2005, 06:42 PM
sweet chris, gimme a call sometime this week, I have some new information on what is in stored for me. Be sure to try and drop by friday night! :)

frankie89
08-01-2005, 06:49 PM
nice mod.. is it really brite at night..

HondaBoy
08-01-2005, 06:51 PM
cool, didnt think of using a clock from another car. i was thinking of what i could do for a clock since you cant change the 3gee's color of the clock with a bulb. looks good, nice work.

Rendon LX-i
08-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Mr.EFF I think its time for a how to LOL. Nice man really liking it foshow

88accordhb
08-01-2005, 07:39 PM
no it didn't

Ichiban
08-01-2005, 07:39 PM
i need an analog dash clock for my 82, the one from my 83 got wrecked and all the ones at the scrap yard have been taken

mr eff
08-01-2005, 10:16 PM
i don't think i can really post a good how-to... this is more or less what i did:

1) buy civic clock
2) pop out stock clock
3) snap off civic clock plastic screw mounts
4) saw out stock clock mounts in dash
5) saw off 4x4mm edge from edges of civic clock
6) pop out civic clock internals, snip wire harness brass plugs
7) pop out stock clock internals, snip actual wires from circuit board, yank the wire harness connectors from the housing
8) saw civic clock wire harness housing off the back of the clock
9) solder wires to the civic clipped connectors, note the circuit board's designation for each: ground, 12v constant, accessory, dimmer
10) snap stock clock face onto civic clock
11) plug civic clock in, don't let the wires touch at this point or you'll blow a fuse (<--- guilty as charged. pull the battery if you're concerned, or pull relay 11 or fuse 2 ahead of time)
12) pray, then test in a few ways: push the time adjust plate in while car is off; clock face should come on. click the key to accessory; clock should come on. turn the car on; clock should stay on. turn the lights on; clock should dim.

i dove right in to this project with no planning and no back up plan in case it didn't work... but then again, i really really really want to have white lighting, so i am determined to make it work.

truetune
08-02-2005, 06:45 AM
me wanna see all of the lights.

SiR
08-02-2005, 06:50 AM
post useless without all dash lights!!!hahaha

mr eff
08-02-2005, 06:54 AM
hopefully by thursday i'll have all the dash lights finished. i need a good hunk of time to remove the dash and climate controls and tediously remove the blue backing

phrenology
08-02-2005, 09:01 AM
after some sawing, grinding, cursing, beer-drinking, soldering and fume-inhalation, i ended up with this!

Hahaha Chris, you are the man. That looks so tizzight!!! Yeah I don't even wanna go into describing the amount of blood sweat and tears that went into my car. But the beer does help between cursing, and soldering.:lol:

If I can get my engineer/friend back home to post the pics, you can all see the sick-ass electronic control compass conversion he did on the 83' Accord gauge cluster. I pulled out the door warning diagram and realized we needed to put something useful in there. So he came up with a compass and spent a good deal of time modding it into the dash complete with backlight...I must say its bad-ass.

Blue Impact
08-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Nice...I might be in Berkeley near the end of the month - maybe we can hang out or something - Jesse and D too. You definitely have to show us pictures of the white lights.