PDA

View Full Version : a friend of mine was riding in my car....

2drSE-i
08-02-2005, 01:48 PM
my system consists of one 45x4 deck, two rockford fosgate 6.5's (up front), and two 120w 6x9 pioneer's (in back) well, he noticed that ALL of my sound was coming from the back of my car, which i already knew, but there is no good way to correct this. if i use the fade function, it doesnt get as loud, which depresses me. then came a thought: could i get two more speakers and wire them into the same channels as the two 6.5's, to maybe correct this underpowering. i realize that my front speakers are severly underpowered (i mean......their tiny good grief), but would adding another speaker to the same channel as one of my 6.5's just divide the power being provided to it by half (well yes it would).........basically what im asking is, would it make my system louder, or will it be the same, just mounted in different places?

Vanilla Sky
08-02-2005, 02:08 PM
then you run into a load problem. you're either going to run an 8 ohm load or a 2 ohm loda, on an amp that was ONLY meant to run 4 ohm. do yourself a favor and get more sinsitive front speakers or drive them with an amp. 4 full range speakers in the front isn't going to sound good at all. it could also fairly easily damage your internal amplifier.

87DXHatch
08-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Or, the obvious choice here, sell the 6X9s and invest the money in better front speakers and an external amp. I haven't ran rear speakers since the first car I owned, and I'm very happy with the results. Rear speakers screw up your soundstage and imaging by pulling it to the back and adding more pathlengths for the soundwaves to traverse.

Adding another two speakers up front, provided they were exactly the same as the ones you had in there, CAN be beneficial, provided you set them up right next to the speakers that are up there, in the exact same manner. Yes, you would have to add an amp because, like Vanilla said, you will destroy your HU's amp if you hook two more speakers into it.

FYI, no HU out there today can do more than ~20 watts RMS... it's due to the style of amplification used in HUs.

halxi
08-02-2005, 09:09 PM
thats odd, my kenwood HU (mpv-7028) has a 2 zone feature, where it will turn off the rear speakers. Well just my front set puts out quite a bit of noise, but not nearly as loud as the rears. In a not as techincal term (lol sorry 87dxhatch) i think the rears put out more sound because of where they are located (higher up, closer to the ear. Not your leg lol) and all the sound waves bounce off the rear glass and move foward.

87DXHatch
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
thats odd, my kenwood HU (mpv-7028) has a 2 zone feature, where it will turn off the rear speakers. Well just my front set puts out quite a bit of noise, but not nearly as loud as the rears. In a not as techincal term (lol sorry 87dxhatch) i think the rears put out more sound because of where they are located (higher up, closer to the ear. Not your leg lol) and all the sound waves bounce off the rear glass and move foward.

That's pretty much correct. Rear 6X9s are also generally more sensitive than the 6.5s up front as well. The only good thing about rear speakers is they give the passengers something to listen to.

2drSE-i
08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
well i knew RMS wud be significantly lower than 45 lol

i thot it might not be good for the headunit........but as u can tell im a complete NOOB at audio equipment. i just want loud music, and since my front speakers are significantly less powerful than my rears, my system has NO midrange whatsoever, which is what i was going for. thanks for answering my question guys :)

truetune
08-03-2005, 08:01 AM
buy a cheep amp to boost sound...get a sub, sell the 6x9s and get a cheep sub and there ya go all the loudness you could want. buy a capacitor for the rear to keep the sound clear of highs.

Sabz5150
08-03-2005, 02:25 PM
That's pretty much correct. Rear 6X9s are also generally more sensitive than the 6.5s up front as well. The only good thing about rear speakers is they give the passengers something to listen to.

Not always :)

I love being the wrench that gets thrown in the staging fanatic's machine :lol:

POS carb
08-04-2005, 01:39 PM
change your front speakers to a higher sensitivity model or buy an amp. Don't start wiring multiple speakers to a head unit.

phrenology
08-04-2005, 03:11 PM
well i knew RMS wud be significantly lower than 45 lol

i thot it might not be good for the headunit........but as u can tell im a complete NOOB at audio equipment. i just want loud music, and since my front speakers are significantly less powerful than my rears, my system has NO midrange whatsoever, which is what i was going for. thanks for answering my question guys :)

If you really want to put the mids and the highs in your face and not on the floor use some component speaker set ups for the front. You could make or buy some pods for the the dash or A-pillars. What are you trying to do? Acheive high quality sound with crisp mids or rattle windows and piss off the neighbors? Figure out what sound you want and then build your system piece by piece...don't ghetto rig your speakers and amps or you'll blow something or start a nice little electrical fire. DOH!!! :uh:

87DXHatch
08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Not always :)

I love being the wrench that gets thrown in the staging fanatic's machine :lol:
I have yet to hear a vehicle that used the rear speakers for anything other than passengers and still remained imaged properly and sounding good.

If you're ever up in MN, prove me wrong ;-)

Vanilla Sky
08-09-2005, 06:49 PM
he has a DTS setup, not your typical 2 channel system.

87DXHatch
08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Even still... I'd like to hear it. ;-)

Vanilla Sky
08-09-2005, 07:01 PM
same here, man.

Ludi Mali
09-15-2005, 01:17 PM
if you just want it loud go buy a bunch of american bass 5-1/4 speakers (about $10 a pair) and load up your doors with it. then buy a stolen shitty amp and wire it all up. Wif fowty speakas in yah dohs aint nowun gonna touch you.

smufguy
09-15-2005, 01:50 PM
is the front and the rear pair hooked up directly to the headunit or are they running off an amp? mine are run from a 4-channel amp and i dont have any problems with the sound being lowin the front. i run 6.5"s all the way around and its louder than i want it to be so its always turned down.

The only other one was my 4g was hooked up directly to the headunit to the speakers and even then i did not experience any low volume in the front pair problem.

2drSE-i
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
well i have 6X9s in the back and 6.5's in the front, and i went and looked.....they may be hooked up to the stock honda/bose (se-i) amp.....dumbasses at bestbuy......imreally hoping they hooked it straight to the headunit and just left my amp there.......but i cant tell