PDA

View Full Version : Help please 88 Honda Accord LX doesn't work with air cleaner.

ambrosia530
08-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Rebuilt carb and now everything runs right until I put the air cleaner on. At that point idle is to low and cuts out. The car looses power going up hill and dies at stop signs. Vacuum check is good. I don't know what to do at this point. I have taken it off to see what was up I have tried just about everything I have read in here. I really need some help I am about to loose it...
Thank You.. :mad:

Vanilla Sky
08-02-2005, 02:03 PM
sounds like it's not tuned right.

adjustment method (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5350)

A20A1
08-02-2005, 02:09 PM
So did you remove the air cleaner and the problem went away again?

It could be a leaky air bleed valve?

Try running the air cleaner with the lid off see if that helps. It could be the hot air door is blocked.

Are you sure there are no vacuum leaks?

Also do not obstruct the float bowl vents in any way.

ambrosia530
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I have ran it with out the the lid and still had the same problem. I just removed all the little filter things they have on there and I can not blow through either of them. I am going to go and get some new ones, I will check the air bleed valve. I have checked and rechecked and rechecked for vacuum leaks and have not found one. I have also checked to see if any vacuums were being pinched by the air cleaner but still no. I also checked the hot air door it seems to be fine. I am getting ready to change the fuel filter and go and get the new filter things. I will let ya know what happens with that.

So did you remove the air cleaner and the problem went away again?

It could be a leaky air bleed valve?

Try running the air cleaner with the lid off see if that helps. It could be the hot air door is blocked.

Are you sure there are no vacuum leaks?

Also do not obstruct the float bowl vents in any way.

ambrosia530
08-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Ok I got new check valves. Forgive me for my earlier calling them filter things... I put the one that goes to the carb on and now I have to reset my idle. I am now idleing at 4000rpms. That will be done in the morning. Aswell as the primary and secondary fuel filters. Both of my check valves were clogged. I will let ya know how that goes. I am hoping well. Have been working on the car for over a month now. Thank you for your help I greatly apperciate it...

ambrosia530
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
I changed my check valves and now the car is idleing high. It idles high even with the aircleaner on. I am getting ready to try and set the idle and check the timing. Can anyone think of anything else I might need to do just in case that doesn't work. Also what is the best way to set the idle. I also need to find out about a speedocable. Where is the best place to get one and the best way to change it. Mine was burnt when it fell onto my exhuast when the guy at the Honda dealership broke the bracket that held it up away from the engine. They told me they had nothing to do with it. Another dealership said that is was caused by them so I have to replace it now. Thank you all for all of your help.

A20A1
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
I replied in this thread the way I usually set my idle, and the order I make the adjustments in.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=44074

ambrosia530
08-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Thank You. I had to write that down so that I had it outside with me. I stopped working on it for the day and will resume tomorrw. Kind of hard to do the work when you are doing it alone. Thank you again...