PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Kansas City Area

ambrosia530
08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
I am in the Kansas City Missouri area looking for others in Kansas City MO and KS area.

superaccord
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I might be moving there within the next year!

ambrosia530
08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Cool. To bad your not here I could use some help I am going nuts.....

superaccord
08-20-2005, 03:11 PM
help w/ what?

ambrosia530
08-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Well I couldn't get her to idle. I changed the carb out. and now she drives and runs but she is idleing warm at 1500. If I go lower with the idle stop screw she dies and wont restart till I set her back to 1500. Not sure if there is something else I need to do to get the idle lower. :)

XBoom135
08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Well we may both be in luck. Moved to K.C. Last year and haven't seen a thing for 3rd Gens. Thought I was the only one. Not much done to to her yet, lookin' at an engine swap most likely. I'd appreciate any info that I haven't already figured out the hard way! That, and someone who understands the obsession.

ambrosia530
08-26-2005, 07:30 PM
I know of junk yard I guess that is what you would call it. They have used engines for 400 dollars. They also come with a warrinty I think it is for 90 days. But after all of my looking around they ae the cheapest I found since the only way I could find an engine was used. I guess you could say I am obsessed with her. I have gotten her up and running. The only bad thing is the tempature sensor in the radiator is leaking water. So since who ever owned my car before me screwed up the wiring to the fans I am just going to bipass it and put another drian plug in there. I also have to replace the laeft axle rod. I got my car fixed to the point that I can actually drive it now. My exahust blew so I have that to fix too. You can email me anytime if you want to. I would like to talk to someone who lives close that also has a Honda.

XBoom135
08-26-2005, 08:37 PM
If the wiring is "questionable" then don't even mess with it. Replace it. I've spent most of my free time for a week finding shorts and breaks due to a retarded owner. Dude had an alarm system in the car when he bought it and never knew it was there. Completely disconnected. Faulty I guess. So I ended up rewiring a bunch of things per Honda diagrams, not very hard, and no fires so far. I'm kinda suprised it didn't blow up before with all the shorts. And by the way, Pick-N-Pull off of Truman Rd. and I-435 has a fair selection of 3rd gens. Good luck with the axle. If you find a way to get to it without a puller let me know. I snapped my left CV shaft yesterday. Had everything but the puller. No pry situation.

ambrosia530
08-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Oh no problem with the wiring. The tempature sensor when I baught it it was bad so we bi passed it so that the fans run all the time while the car is running. The wiring is correct from what I could see. The only thing that was strange was he had the ac fan and the main fan wired together. So I am thinking that is why the sensor got fried when we put the new fans on and all of the other stuff it seemed strange it quickly just stopped working so we bipassed the sensor. We got a new wireing harness for the fans at U Wrench it. I will be going to get a window motor and door handle and a lock for my car.

XBoom135
08-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Just did the drivers side handle a few days ago. Real fun. The journals fell out of my lock cylinder and I had to match them up with the key by trial & error. Not too hard though. Damn Ice storms up here glazed my car and I was running late for work. Yanking wasn't the best idea. Would you keep an eye out for any power lock actuators while you're there? I'm seriously considering a conversion.

ambrosia530
08-29-2005, 07:12 AM
I will keep an eye out for ya. I think 2 of the cars out there were all power. Mine is power locks. My Drivers side door handle is hanging I have no idea what happen but now I have another project to add to my list. I remember the last ice storm we had at the time I had a ford mavric and on the way to a friends for New Years eve my thermostat went out on it. Nice cold ride home, I will look for your part for ya.

XBoom135
08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
How was the Maverick? My step brother just randomly bought a '73 the other day. He just came rollin' up in this piece of crap like it was gold. Damn idiot. So I'll probably be the one fixing it up to safe standards for him soon. Really looking forward to it. There has got to be less rust on the Titanic.

ambrosia530
08-31-2005, 06:41 PM
The Mavrick was pretty easy to work on. I didn't have much problems with it.
I am now putting all my little stuff on hold with the fact that I know have water and oil mixing in the radiator and my oil was runny like water. So I guess I will start removing my head tomorrow. Wanna come help me with that. If it's not one thing it another these days.

XBoom135
09-04-2005, 09:30 PM
The Mavrick was pretty easy to work on. I didn't have much problems with it.
I am now putting all my little stuff on hold with the fact that I know have water and oil mixing in the radiator and my oil was runny like water. So I guess I will start removing my head tomorrow. Wanna come help me with that. If it's not one thing it another these days.
Little late, sorry. Haven't been back in a few days. How did the investigation go? Head gasket replacement? Was doing the CV shafts today. Now I'll be spending my Labor Day figuring out how to remove a frozen shaft from the passenger's side hub. I hammered the crap out of this thing, used a half a can of penetrating oil on it and pulled the thing apart to say the least! Nuthin'. So I soaked it with the oil again and called it a night. If this thing doesn't budge tomorrow, I'm going to whack it with a sledge! I've been meaning to replace a few front end parts anyway. If you haven't done the head removal yet I'd be glad to help. I haven't done a lot to the engine myself, but I have damn near any tool you would ever need. Which are now covered in CV boot sludge. Wonderful. :mad:

ambrosia530
09-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I haven't gotten to the head yet. Planning on next weekend. Would be glad to have your help. I have the left cv / axel rod to replace. But, I don't think I am going to do that I think I'm going to let someone else do it. I hope your cv joint comes off with out you having to beat the hell out of it.

XBoom135
09-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I haven't gotten to the head yet. Planning on next weekend. Would be glad to have your help. I have the left cv / axel rod to replace. But, I don't think I am going to do that I think I'm going to let someone else do it. I hope your cv joint comes off with out you having to beat the hell out of it.
Yeah, I beat the hell out of it. Nicely. Lots more oil and it came off. Replaced it and life was good. Driver's side, not so much. The puller I got from O'Reilly's isn't real good and I can't get the ball joint loose. I'll have to return it and get a better one tomorrow. But then I'll be done. Which axle do you have to replace? Driver's or passenger's? May be a stupid question, but I've fielded worse! I have everything but a good puller for the job. Let me know when you wanna do that and I'll let you know where to rent a good one. I suppose I do thing the hard way more often than required, but learnig on the way has it's benefits. Head should be easy though. Should be.....Do you have a torque wrench? I have a small one that should work for that stuff, but a bigger one would be ideal.

XBoom135
09-05-2005, 07:38 PM
DAMN! My bad about the spelling. Gotta stop drinking that old tranny oil.

ambrosia530
09-06-2005, 06:00 AM
I have a torque wrench I believe it goes up to 250lbs. I don't remember it is still sitting in it's box. We baught it to change the timing chain on the Dodge but haven't even done that yet. I have to replace the driver side axle. The boot is completely gone. It was there in Febuary when I had the tie rod replaced on that side. I know that cause the guy who did my inspection is the who changed the tie rod. I sat and watched him. But somewhere down the line I lost it. Kind of like taking her into the honda dealer in OP and getting her back in worse shape then she she was when I took her there.

XBoom135
09-06-2005, 08:54 AM
I bet you paid a pretty penny for the luxury of having your car "fixed" too. That's why I do as much work myself as possible. I'll take some pictures of the assembly when I get the puller today. Might help. Although there is already a good link with pics in the how to forum.

ambrosia530
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
the person that is going to do the axel is only charging me 100 to do it. So I am not going to complain about it. I do most of the work on my car myself. I hate paying people to do it. I feel that we only pay them cause we are to lazy to figure it out and do it ourselves. Either that or we have nothing better to do with our money. But, that is waht makes the world go round.:::)

XBoom135
09-09-2005, 04:00 PM
A 100 bucks!? Damn. Should have let me know. I'd have done it for less. I don't have a warranty though. My baby runs great regardless!

ambrosia530
09-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Axle hasn't been done yet. Gotta do the head gasket first and then the axle then the speedo cable. She runs great well she would run great again with the head gasket being fixed. One day at a time I guess.

XBoom135
09-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I should do that as a precaution. But there are a lot of things I've justified being done first. I would like to replace all bushings on the suspension. Or at least the front end. I saw some rather disheartening things under there when I was doing the cv shafts. Some of those bushings look like dried up beef jerky! Probably not a good thing. I think I may have to replace the ball joints to for future ease. After all the money I've sunk into this car, it's hard to see an RX-7 for sale down the street for cheap. I'd love to have it, and would surely have a more speed worthy car for the money, but I just can't abandon the 3G. Damn choices. Anyway. If you see any worthy front suspension parts at the yard by chance, let me know. I'm too broke to go shopping for a while!

ambrosia530
09-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Sorry I haven't been on lately. I have been sick. Still haven't started to replace the head gasket. I am dredding this. I spent the whole summer working on her and I guess I just don't really wanna now. But, I have to so Friday I am going to start taking her apart.

ambrosia530
10-04-2005, 06:39 AM
I haven't gotten my head done. Now my Starter is out. So I am ready to scream. I thought I would give you an update. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to take it off....
Amanda :sadwave:

XBoom135
10-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Good luck. At least it's not hot as Hades out there. I haven't done much lately either. Too busy trying to move in a month. Logistical NIGHTMARE! On the bright side my GI Bill is going to pay for me to go to UTI in Pheonix. I'm gonna be a real mechanic when I grow up! Let me know if you need shop manuals. They help!

ambrosia530
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Well I am going to put my new speedo cable on if I can just fimd out how too.. She is running great now. I found someone to do the axle for 180 dollars. So she is going to get that done next week. Then all should be good...
Amanda