PDA

View Full Version : AEBS B16 Intake manifold and RPM 70-68MM TB

bobafett
08-06-2005, 05:05 PM
just got this stuff in this week.. the TB is fricken awesome. and the manifold is a great bargain, but definetly not perfect. the shape of the ports are way off. oh well. i am gonna have to get my head and manifold port matched together anyway, and u can see in the pic, i will have to open up the mouth of the throttle body quite a bit...

one thing i like about the manifold is how all the vaccum shit is on the back. (hopefully i wont be using much of it!)

http://www.dept25.com/cars/accord/images/IMG_0244.jpg
http://www.dept25.com/cars/accord/images/IMG_0248.jpg
http://www.dept25.com/cars/accord/images/IMG_0251.jpg

i also installed new dimpled/slotted rotors in the front of my car, and ceramic brake pads. and new rear shows in the back, along with stainless braided brake lines all around, and super blue racing brake fluid. i am still in the "take it easy" break in phase of these brakes, but they feel amazing so far. maybe if im inspired i will snap a few pics of them later on tonight..

anyway what do u guys think of the manifold and TB?

cdscowboy
08-06-2005, 05:13 PM
One of these days you'll have a car that's drivable...

...one of these days.

;) Looks good man, can't wait to see the finished product!!

bobafett
08-06-2005, 05:20 PM
lol yeah i have a drivable accord right now! actually im considreing buying a stock downpipe for the 240, (or maybe just an aftermarket header lol) and driving it NA, so i can at least enjoy the car and when i swap motors in the accord i wont have to worry about being in a time crunch... :)

86AccordLxi
08-07-2005, 05:49 AM
You better get some of your shit running good dude :P Can't wait to see one of your projects come to fruition. Also, you'd best get a dp quick-like so you can actually drive the 240 around...you know, actually drive/use the parts you dropped so much money on :D

Alex

bobafett
08-07-2005, 09:34 AM
holy shit your right! i forgot i even had a 240sx!!! :) lol when do u get back from greece. i gotta get battery relocation and fuel pressure regulator finished before its in running mode :)

accord runs good now though... so i dont know what the problem is...

Versanick
11-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Is that throttle body going to work in terms of your stock TPS, or does it come with one?

bobafett
11-19-2005, 08:17 AM
actually i was about to attack that problem. :(

the stock a20 TB's TPS is too 'thick' the peice that is suppose to fit into the groove on the throttle body fits, but there is like 1/3" gap, because its fits deeper into the accord TB than it does the b16 TB... so it could never bolt down. i suppose i could just make a spacer or shim, the proper distance, and hope for the best, but realistically, i will probably just hunt down a b16 tps... it would probably be easier in the long run. :(

anyone have b16 tps for sale? lol

AccordEpicenter
11-19-2005, 08:49 AM
how much did that combo cost you and where did you get it? Thats the exact combo i was thinking of... looks like mad hp gains

wprocomp
11-19-2005, 08:51 AM
hey boba is a polished version AEBS mainfold for B16 for $150 worth it-Ive been thinking about gettting one for the accord once I start the head work also

bobafett
11-19-2005, 11:33 AM
hey boba is a polished version AEBS mainfold for B16 for $150 worth it-Ive been thinking about gettting one for the accord once I start the head work also

i wouldnt pay to get a polished manifold, but im not much into bling... still rolling mismatched steelies ya know!

i paid $127 shipped for that manifold, so an extra $22 isnt that bad, if you want a nice looking manifold.

the throttle body was $285 from an-r
http://an-r.com/tb.htm

looks like they cost a bit more now. also i have to source a b16 tb here soon. ...

i cant speak for the gains yet, but i am hopefull :) maybe 10whp with both?

wprocomp
11-19-2005, 12:03 PM
yeah man def let us know on gains I am curious

carotman
11-19-2005, 03:01 PM
The problem with your TPS is that it's from a 87- Honda. They were different.

Any TPS for a 88+ Honda will bolt there without problem. I'm using a B series 60mm TB and I got the A20A TPS on there. Oh and don't forget to buy another MAP sensor.

bobafett
11-19-2005, 05:00 PM
good to know! thanks for the tip carotman! :) that will certainly be cheaper to come by than a b16 one. :D

AccordEpicenter
11-20-2005, 09:08 AM
if your na... you might get a 10-15whp gain, if your boosted, i bet the gains will be staggering vs the stock IM/TB combo, especially an 88-89 intake. Id guess 20+whp at higher boost levels... say 9psi+ maybe. Just look at the sizes of the new stuff vs the old stuff. Good prices too!

bobafett
11-20-2005, 09:14 AM
yeah ill be NA for now, but i have my turbo, bov, wastegate and oil lines already, and all of my gauges (except wideband)... really i just need full 3" exhaust and downpipe and charge pipes and manifold, and then its just a matter of completing the obd1 swap so i can tune the whore. probably ill miss the race season thats coming up, but by late 2006 i hope to be terrorizing the streets of vancouver! lol

bobafett
11-20-2005, 09:16 AM
The problem with your TPS is that it's from a 87- Honda. They were different.

Any TPS for a 88+ Honda will bolt there without problem. I'm using a B series 60mm TB and I got the A20A TPS on there. Oh and don't forget to buy another MAP sensor.

by 'another' map sensor, what exactly do you mean?? im running a 4g map right now should that be sufficent?

AccordEpicenter
11-20-2005, 10:00 AM
thats ok it does take time to do it right, my car is years in the making. Just dont halfass stuff and youll be fine. You should get an obd1 map sensor that mounts on the TB itself and run that for obd1. You could run the stock obd0 map but since you have the spot on the tb and the less vac lines you have, the better, you should use it. Besides, the obd1 map reads a few psi higher than the obd0 map, typically

bobafett
11-20-2005, 10:06 AM
oh ok, that makes sense...

yeah its a constant battle to get rid of vac lines..

i dont halfass my car projects, it ends up costing me $$ but its worth it to do it right....

carotman
11-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, you need a Map sensor that bolts to the TB.

I just noticed that the TB doesn't have any fitting nor hole for the Fast Idle valve. You might run into cold idle problems. The newer Hondas have a different IACV that does both job and don't need the Fast Idle Valve. You could fit a valve through one of the vacuum ports on the rear is the cold idle is really too much of a problem.

Also, be glad we have enough space between the intake manifold and Firewall. That idle adjustment screw is oddly placed.

One more thing. Once you install this, tell me if you needed to remove the rear upper torque mount like I did.

bobafett
11-20-2005, 04:28 PM
ill let you know. im assuming i might have to. but the victorX doesnt go 'up' quite as much as this one. its similar in physical dimensions to a stock b16 manifold. :)

as for the fast idle valve, im really not too sure WHAT i will do about it!

jigga89SEi
11-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I've been lookin into b series manifolds wuite a bit now.... is there any brand or type we cant' use?... I know reguardless of what I get I'm gonna need to drill it so thats not a big deal...

carotman
11-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Avoid the manifold from the B18C1 (Acura GS-R). I heard it doesn't fit well (if not at all). The port shape is different from the other B series engines.

bobafett
11-24-2005, 11:42 AM
b16 and b18c5, they both have the same fitment, and as far as i know, any aftermarket manifold for b16 and c5 will work. :)

jigga89SEi
11-25-2005, 07:08 PM
So is it a bolt in and go?... I'm worried about fast idle.. and other sensor like that.... I don't know if I'm ready for all that... hehe

bobafett
11-25-2005, 07:18 PM
nope, you have to drill out a few holes, and chop off the water jacket line (they dont line up) and then you have to grind down the top (so you can get the valve cover on). also had to chop a hole out to all me to install one of the nuts...

i can take pics of my manifold some time this weekend. i cant get pics of it ON a head, but i can show the manifold, and you can sort of guess what has been done to it based on that!?!!

jigga89SEi
11-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Thats whats up...
N Damn Boba.. why u gotta be all the way over there... It'd be tight to put our cars on the road together...

BTW is that head in ur sig. ported n polished?

Cheeseburger
11-25-2005, 09:22 PM
sexy...

bobafett
11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
haha i know. it would be sweet to roll out two built accords. :)

the head is ported and polished with fully worked valvetrain and everything else! :)

guaynabo89
11-26-2005, 08:29 AM
looks real good. if you get a chance to run the tb and mani na please post your results.

bobafett
11-26-2005, 09:59 AM
if i can get the necessary sensors i should be able to do a before and after run, but it will probably be with the new motor, so gains will be amplified from what a stock a20 would see. but if i can track down the right tps and the right map sensor, then ill try to get a run with the stock IM/TB vs the aftermarket ones.

jigga89SEi
11-26-2005, 11:22 AM
before n after would be cool...
do u have kmods vavle train?...

bobafett
11-26-2005, 11:44 AM
nah the valvetrain was bought from 'low tek' a member on this forum who is local to me. he had them all custom made for his turbo build up, which he didnt end up finishing.

from him i got:
forged valves (oem size)
titanium retainers
high compression dual wound valve springs (rated to be happy at 8500)

he cant remember who made them, but i think he said it was 500 just for the retainers and springs. im not sure on the pricing on the valves, but si valves DOES have part numbers for some a20 stuff. :)

BITESIZE
11-26-2005, 11:57 AM
You suck!

AccordEpicenter
11-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Yeah, waynes setup that you got bobafett is some real nice stuff. The stock valves are fine but for big boost you might want the reliability and durability of stainless exhaust valves, athough ive never seen a honda exhaust valve fail with boost, i have seen them fail with heavy oil burning. Big valvesprings are a MUST to rev past 7300-7500 at the most.

bobafett
11-26-2005, 12:46 PM
yeah think it will work pretty well. i plan on taking the motor to 8k ,BUT not all that often, and i wont be able to until im running a different management.

i know with all the changes that i have made, the pj0 will not be optimal fuel maps for power. :)

jigga89SEi
11-26-2005, 03:06 PM
so the springs are custom?.. Not from another application?...

And disregaurd the repeated question in the PM...

bobafett
11-26-2005, 03:12 PM
honestly im not sure about those springs.... i bought them off wayne, and he couldnt tell me much about them. :(

if u pm low tek and bug him maybe you could jolt his memory hahah... but he told me he forgot, i think he had them made a long time ago. but i dunno if it was a local shop or what

Justin86
11-26-2005, 04:25 PM
oh this is gonna be fun.

bobafett
11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah and were all going megasquirt! :) should be fucking awesome. SOOOOOOOOO LONG distributor! :)

joker2
11-28-2005, 07:43 AM
What's up Boba, it's good to see that your project is coming along smoothly.... I wish I had some pics of the back of my manifold project to show you that you can install the IACV to that your manifold because I did to mine.... I think I made ways to make things work was because I didn't want to deal with the ECU noticing that something was missing and throwing codes everywhere.... OK, I spoke to soon, after looking at the back of that thing again I noticed that if you do install the IACV, you won't be able to install the TPS sensor.... As for the TPS, I used the b16 one that came with my manifold...:)

bobafett
11-28-2005, 08:48 AM
so what DID you hook up to the new manifold? im curious about this now...

i know i will need an odb1 tps, and presumably a different map sensor, as for the rest of it, i guess ill have to try the manifold and see if it works without anything else hooked up?!?!

if you could take some pics of it all, i would really appreciate it. at this point i dont know WHAT all illl need to try and hook up to this thing!

joker2
11-28-2005, 10:10 AM
I hooked up everything that was on the A20 mani. to the b16 mani.... I turned the IACV upside down and placed it on the back where the stock IACV, for the b16, is suppose to go http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=1996&catcgry3=2DR+EX+ABS&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+%282%29I just compared everything from the A20 to the b16 and there really wasn't that much of a difference, other than placement... Here's the A20 http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+%28PGM-FI%29 ..... For both of the links select throttle body for System\Component...

bobafett
11-28-2005, 10:22 AM
thanks for those links...

i think part of the problem is that i have an 86, and our intake components are slightly different. :( we'll see what i can do...

i finally got my fast idle problem fixed, and im guessing i will have even more issues to work through once i install this new setup! hehe

joker2
11-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Actually, they should be the same, you have a LXI hatchback right??? Your A20 intake mani. is the same as my 89 LXI mani. so that means that we have the same IACV... Also the other assembly, under the throttlebody, don't know the name of it, I used the b16 one that came with my manifold....

bobafett
11-28-2005, 10:34 AM
i do have an 86 lxi hatchback...

i dont know the names of all these things, but is the IACV that you are referring to, numbered 8 on the diagram you sent to me? if so, i do have that exact part, but im not sure about the names of the damn things. lol i feel like a noob all over again

joker2
11-28-2005, 11:05 AM
No, it's number 9 for the Accord mani.... Number 8 is the other assembly that keep forgetting the name to but it doesn't matter because you can use the b16 one if need be....:)

bobafett
11-28-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+%28PGM-FI%29

thats the link for an 86. notice that number 9 IS in the drawing (which is the same for all EFI accords, even though we know the components are not the same) but if you look in the parts listing, number 9 does not show up. :(

this might make it interesting... but i know people with an 86 have done this mod, so ill find a way.

joker2
11-28-2005, 11:26 AM
You're right, it doesn't show up and number 8 is the fast idle valve (glad to know that)... But since it doesn't show up for the 86's that means you don't have one, right??? If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about it but if you do then it can be placed, on the back, where the stock b16 one is but upside down....

joker2
11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
The only problem I see with that throttlebody that you have is that it has no ports for where the fast idle vale is suppose to bolt up to like the factory one....

myaccord7
11-28-2005, 01:08 PM
wow that looks nice. good luck with everything

zach

bobafett
11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
yeah i guess ill scour H-T and see what people did while using these throttle bodies. if there is no port for fast idle, then b-series guys would have the same problem. :) so hopefully i can find some info.

carotman
11-29-2005, 09:51 AM
The 86-87 Accords use a different idling system. I asked everyone about this LAST YEAR (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31622). No one seemed to actually care at that time. It wasn't a problem for me since I have an 89 Accord so I gave up on the thing. If someone cared at that time, you wouldn't be facing the IACV problem since it would already be answered for you...

In any way, you could still use the 86-87 idle control and just plug it on a vacuum port on the intake manifold. You could fabricate a block off plate and block the 2 ports on the intake manifold itself. The 88+ IACV could be used with the early PJ0 but someone will have to verify.

Just measure the resistance of the Idle Control Solenoid Valve. If it's between 8-10 ohm, I'm sure you can use the later IACV setup.

Again, I've done this mod and here's what I used:
Throttlebody: OBD-1 B18B
- IACV: Any D or B OBD-1 Engines. They are all the same and will work the RIGHT way. No need to turn stuff upside down and have ugly coolant lines showing.
- TPS: Any 88+ Honda (I used the A20A TPS)
- FIV: Any OBD-1 B series Engine
- MAP sensor: Any Throttlebody mounted map sensor

I already answered about the FIV ports that are missing

I just noticed that the TB doesn't have any fitting nor hole for the Fast Idle valve. You might run into cold idle problems. The newer OBD-2 Hondas have a different IACV that does both job and don't need a Fast Idle Valve. You could fit a FIV through one of the vacuum ports on the rear if the cold idle is really too much of a problem.

joker2
11-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Well boba, you have different ways to achieve the same goal so which ever way you go, it'll work..... Here's the pics I was looking for of the engine in it's early stages and you'll be able to see how I mounted the IACV on the rear... http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288161749&idx=6
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288161749&idx=1

carotman
11-29-2005, 12:02 PM
The IACV doesn't look too bad in fact. I forgot that the Accord IACV has it's water hoses on each side instead of under it.

Justin86
11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
The B16 guys don't have to worry about a fast idle valve cause they are OBD-1. All of there idle controls or done electronicaly throught the coolant temp sensor and intake air temp, then the ECU adds more fuel,

I'm rich beotch. :D

carotman
11-29-2005, 06:36 PM
The B16 guys don't have to worry about a fast idle valve cause they are OBD-1. All of there idle controls or done electronicaly throught the coolant temp sensor and intake air temp, then the ECU adds more fuel,
I'm rich beotch. :D

This applies to OBD-2B. Not OBD-1