PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Management q's

FyreDaug
08-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Alright, the time has come for ignition control. Might aswell get it all set on my engine before I drop in the new one with nitrous.

I'm looking at a couple staged retard controls by MSD
one being: http://www.msdignition.com/tc_6.htm
and the other http://www.msdignition.com/tc_8.htm

The motor will have higher compression (10.5) and advanced timing around town, but for the higher rpms I want it to retard, and then retard more when I turn on the nitrous. When the system knows its spraying (not just on) it will retard the timing even more. And I dont know if either of these systems does it.

I figure 2degrees in 3 (or 4 stages) across the rpm band will be good in town.
drop 2 at 2200, 3300, 4400 and 5500 (for 4 stage) or 2400, 3800, 5200 for the 3 stage. But under nitrous, I want the regular 2degree drop for the first stage, ,since I wont be spraying that low, and the next stage will drop another 2 (or 6 depending on which jet is shooting, 75 or 200) and the next stage (if im using a 4stage) will drop another 4 (or 6), and if its the 4 stage, it'll drop another 4 or 6. But this all has to be decided after I figure out what timing I need to run the motor, so you can probably ignore this paragraph.

Anyways, what about a distributor? Since I have a vacuum advance dist, do I need to convert or does it have some other kind of way to adjust the timing? I dont think I totally understand how these work. I also want 10 degree retard under cranking.

I plan on running OE plugs on this system for the motor I have now, and iridiums in the other one.

Maybe someone (smart) should suggest the parts I need, and how to make it work. Preferrably all from MSD, as Id like to keep all 1 company at a time, but otherwise it doesnt really matter. I just need to know what does what.

The motor will remain carburated, thats not a problem is it?

Immeraufdemhund
08-06-2005, 07:43 PM
well the engine is stout enough for it, but the thing i'm thinking about is that the bottom end is cast and the top is aluminum, which with the higher heat of no2 i would assume (but not knowing for sure) that it would cause some sorta warpage. Your going to have 10.5 compression so i'm also going to presume that you have after market out the butt with gaskets and seals and studs and what not.

the dizzy might prove to be a trouble for you, i dont know what the exact maximum retard and advance is for the a20 vacuum system, but you could make that system your talking about for the vacuum if it has that high of a degree of flexibility. (or if your a red neck you could just leave all your bolts loose on the dizzy so when you punch it it turns the dizzy and then when you slam on the brakes it puts it back....heheheh.)

have you looked into setting up the 4g dizzy? that has computer controled advance. I dont know much about it, i've never had a 3g and a 4g at the same time. I've only had one or the other.

About the plugs i was told that you should run a cold plug with no2.. i dont remember the reason behind it though. and he could even be wrong. I'm planning on putting a h23 head on a f22 so i'm just tossing around ideas and some one suggested no2, so i listened while he talked all about it.

anywho, keep looking!

FyreDaug
08-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Wait a minute, the top end of the car is aluminum? I thought the a20 was all cast?

A20A1
08-06-2005, 08:46 PM
J&S (http://www.jandssafeguard.com/)

We have an aluminum head.

FyreDaug
08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Hmm, I read through that. it looks interesting. I didnt see anything about it being able to work without having fuel injection though.