PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KDC-MP7028 Problem!

halxi
08-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Well ive had my deck for roughly 4 months now, and the warranty just ended on it a little over a week ago. Well, 5 days ago it quit working! :uh:

When i went to start up my car, i put the face on. It loaded the Stand By screen and display, then it went to boot up the CD and after a second of doing that (my face pivots, its motorized, so i have it set to the first pivot up setting) it moves back to home and the screen goes black. I instantly flipped out (even though i was already late for work) and started messing with it. Took the face plate off and put it back on a few times, finally got an idea to disconnect the battery then reconnect it and try it. Ok, get that done and everything works good for another day. The next day it starts the same shit again, only now it wont display anything other then the StandBy screen/graphics without spazing out and shutting down.

There is a little red light that blinks behind the face plate when its off, and its still blinking when the face plate doesnt work. So i know im getting power. Any ideas?

Im supposed to take it into Sound Track (the place that installed it for me) to have it looked at monday, but if anybody knows whats going on that could save me some $$$ im sure. Im not going to be taking any Sales Rep Bullshit either. None of the "the warranties over, nothing we can do" crap. I paid $450 for this deck, $450 for 4months of use is bullshit.

TheWatcher
08-06-2005, 08:53 PM
How could your warranty be up after only 4 months? The KDC-MP7028 has a one year warranty. :) Did you get a refurbished model or something? Check you warranty card that came with your HU.

If you bought a refurbished model, then it's probably broken (again, since refurbished models are probably broken HU's they fixed and resold).

And RTFM.

Peace.

halxi
08-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Nope, wasnt referb to my knowledge. Soundtrack said it was new, so i dunno.

Ill definatly be looking at my warranty card, i figured it was 90days from the dealer, 1 year from the factory??

TheWatcher
08-06-2005, 09:37 PM
If it's broken, there's not much your installer can do, unless they replace it with a new/refurbished model. If it's broken, it's under warranty, so take it to the nearest Kenwood Authorized Repair Center (with your purchase receipt).

If you really are concerned about saving money, RTFM. Hell, did you even set the security code yet??? RTFM costs no money, only your time and effort.

Hope everything works out.

Peace.

halxi
08-06-2005, 10:24 PM
... n00b question, what is RTFM??

I actually dont have the ORIGINAL purchase recipt, not that i can find anyway. But soundtrack still has it on record and CAN print me another one. So i might have to do that.

halxi
08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
took it in today, they fixed it for free. Temp fix anyway.

The right front speaker was blown, and the deck has a specialty protection feature that prohibits it from powering up to play music when something like that happens. So for now he disconnected the channel and im going back with my Diamond D3 6.5 integrated components to get them installed.... w00t! lol

Or it could be the channel itself in the headunit, if it is they will send it into kenwood, have it checked out, and kenwood will send me a new one for FREE... they even take it out/put it in for no charge... gotta love warranties :P

Ill keep you guys posted. Going to find out how much its gonna cost to get my subs/amp put in and wired up while im there.

TheWatcher
08-09-2005, 02:43 AM
I would try to keep the kenwood HU if it's working okay, rather than get a replacement that is ... possibly ... refurbished.

Did you set the security code yet?

Glad it was the speaker. What caused the speaker to blow out? Make sure the speaker is not grounding out on metal in the door panel. I friend of mine had that problem w/ his Acura Legend, and it took forever for the car audio store that did the installation to diagnose the problem.

Glad everything worked out.

Peace.