PDA

View Full Version : need help with axle popping from tranny!!

87AccordLXsdn
08-07-2005, 09:35 AM
i finally got my 5 speed conversion done, but i was driving it the day after and the cv popped from the tranny. now i cant get the new axle the whole way in the tranny. does anyone know what could be causing this??

smufguy
08-07-2005, 09:52 AM
i finally got my 5 speed conversion done, but i was driving it the day after and the cv popped from the tranny. now i cant get the new axle the whole way in the tranny. does anyone know what could be causing this??

at the end of the axles, there are snap rings. They are rings that are embedded right about the very end where the splines end. if they popped out, possibly they were not snapped in right in the first place. PUll the alxes out again, inspect the splines and see if you can find any ground up parts or surfaces, also check in the differential receiver if the receiver teeth are chewed up.

If everything seems good and the snap rings in place, slide the axle in, and jug it in a lil more till u hear it snap. The way i always do and have done is take apart the balljoint part, put just the end in, smack it with a mallet in place, pact it with grease and push the joint back on there and put the boot over it. People might say its a bad way to do it and blah blah blah. But if you are careful and know what you are doing, this is the fastest way to change or fix ur axles. Hell i even rebuilt my axle without taking the damn dampening fork off.

lostforawhile
08-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I had this same problem for a while,it was just the clips. according to honda you aren't supposed to use them more then one time. once i replaced the clips it was fine. also check your motor mounts, if the engine and transmission are moving around a lot it can pop out the axles. you should be able to push the axles in by hand, i just line up the splines and give it a good shove.you'll feel it click into place.where did you get your axles? i went through a bunch of crap with axles that weren't quite right. i finally got a correct set at Nappa. i had all kinds of problems with the other ones.

87AccordLXsdn
08-07-2005, 08:11 PM
i got the axle from advanced. the problem is that its all lined up but it wont go in about a half inch. what are the clips that your talkin about? im gonna take out the axle again tomorrow and see if i can see if there are any imperfections on the axle itself

lostforawhile
08-07-2005, 08:24 PM
that explains it. i went through this crap with them, i had to reinstall and remove six axles before i got one that was right. one of them was actually bent out of the box. you talk about mad? i marked one of them with paint and took it back,the guy went to the back put it in another box and tried to sell me the same axle. after that i called the corporate office. used to be discount and advance sold the same axle brand. they actually made them give me my money back plus 50 bucks towards a core somewhere else since they had taken my core. i went to nappa and have been using the same one ever since. for some reason the axles they sell for this car don't seem to fit right. i'm not trying to put advance down,they did that themselves. idiots. the clips are on the end of the axle where it goes into the transmission. they fit into the groove in the axle. it's also worth mentioning that one of the axles from advance had the same problem you are describing. i measured the wire diameter in the clip and it was different from the factory one. in other words a cheap knock off.