PDA

View Full Version : lsd compatibility between b series trannys

Accordtheory
08-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Since those assholes at honda-tech.com never do anything other that insult each other and ignore my posts, I thought I would try asking here. I have a cable ls tranny, but the differential has exploded, putting a hole in the case, and breaking off random chunks of aluminum inside the case. After I weld the stupid thing back together, what lsd can I use? I can't afford the quaife, so I was thinking factory type r. However, the quaife site lists the B16/ls/92-93gsr as one application, and the gsr/type r as a another one. What is the difference, is it just the splines for the axles, or would it actually not be possible to install a type r lsd into an ls tranny? Anyone?

bobafett
08-07-2005, 12:38 PM
might ask at HMT, they are a little more friendly ,and there is a lot of good honda knowledge there..

www.homemadeturbo.com

Legend_master
08-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Since those assholes at honda-tech.com never do anything other that insult each other and ignore my posts, I thought I would try asking here. I have a cable ls tranny, but the differential has exploded, putting a hole in the case, and breaking off random chunks of aluminum inside the case. After I weld the stupid thing back together, what lsd can I use? I can't afford the quaife, so I was thinking factory type r. However, the quaife site lists the B16/ls/92-93gsr as one application, and the gsr/type r as a another one. What is the difference, is it just the splines for the axles, or would it actually not be possible to install a type r lsd into an ls tranny? Anyone?

it has something to do with them all being cable trannies. The b17, b18a, and B16 all came as cable trannies and the only one that had lsd stock was the JDM OBD0 b16 not the newer b16's that come in the Del sols and Civic SI's. I am not quit sure what the difference is that dosent allow for the newer LSD to fit, but I would bet that it is something pretty difficult to get around. If you could find the b16 LSD that woudl bolt right in there. I have heard of some of the b17's having them, but that could just be a folk tale :dunno: . Good luck with the project

88LXi68
08-07-2005, 07:33 PM
From what I understood is that 92-93 Integra Trannies can use parts from newer Hydro trannies, but anything older than 91 can not.

Accordtheory
08-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda - Civic / del sol VTEC dohc, Integra GS/LS '90-00, Integra GS-R '92-93 60.309.160
Honda - Civic Si 1999-2001 VTEC dohc (B16) 60.309.160

this is from the quaife site, as you can see, the applications overlap, it should be the same diff from 90-00, as long as it's not a gsr/type R. Now I just need to see if the axles are different. If the axles have the same splines, etc, then I can only conclude that the trannies are different.