PDA

View Full Version : Engine problems, maybe fuel filter or pump...

Trick87Accord
08-07-2005, 01:10 PM
i was driving last night and all the the sudden my engine just shuts off the the middle of the road, i rolled into a gas station and tryed to figure out what was wrong with the ride, now when i start it up its start fine and then two seconds later it dies, with a suddle vibration. i can't figure out what's up, me and my dad thought that it might be the fuel filters or the fuel pump but both filters and the pump are just a year old, what do you think could be the problem and has anyone has this problem in the past? :dunno:

O yeah im carbed... :uh:

A20A1
08-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I doubt it's the pump... may want to check your:

- Battery / Battery Cables & Connections

- Spark Plugs

- Plug Wires

- Distributor Cap & Rotor

- Distributor Stator Reluctor Air Gap

smufguy
08-07-2005, 05:56 PM
also this is an odd situation, try swapping out the fuel relay (behind the fuse box, the biggest one with circular holes on it) and see if the problem occurs. Seems like while running it cuts off and if the pump turns off then thats the only thing controlling it, unless u just developed a loose connection/short on the ingnition-on signal line. anyway, check everythign that MIke just mentioned and then do what i said.

Trick87Accord
08-07-2005, 08:37 PM
My me and my dad seemed to have fixed the problem at least we think so. we checked the fuel pump and the fuel filters and they were fine so we just sprayed a lil carb cleaner in and tweaked some other things and then it ran fine... so thanks for the help now i know if that happens again to look out for the possible things, thanks a lot A20A1 and SMUFGUY

snow_man_20
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
if it starts doing it again, check that main relay, it's been hot (100+) and i'm willing to bet smufguy is right.

smufguy
08-08-2005, 07:03 AM
I am glad you got it fixed. Also check the idle stop, AJC and other vacuum lines just in case. If the carb is sticky or running rich or leaking from the sides, you may wanna rebuild the carb. Spare carbs from the junkyard are dirt cheap and you can rebuild it at your house for less than $30 i guess and u can replace it later.

if it starts doing it again, check that main relay, it's been hot (100+) and i'm willing to bet smufguy is right.

i bet ur talking about the fuel pump relay, cause the carbs did not have a main relay. Even tho both pretty much did the same thing, the main relay is usually associated with the efi's for more accurate corralation.