PDA

View Full Version : rpm's jumpin'!!?!?!?

newtuner
08-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi, I have a 88 accord lx-i! one day i went 2 drive it and its tack kept sayin that i was idling about 1500 - 2500 but my idle wasnt that high at all! then when i turn on any of my accessories it jumps even higher but the idle never changes!!?? and when i drive the car it sputters and wont really even drive! plz help me if ne one kan!!

modu03
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
are you sure the idle doesn't change, cause there really isn't anything that would make your rpm gauge move without the rpm changing. when you turn on your accessories, it is normal for your rpm to go up a little

newtuner
08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
im sure it idles smoth and normal! my dizzy goin out wouldnt cause this would it?? well i dunno hope sum 1 does

cubert
08-09-2005, 06:11 PM
the tach jumping while driving could be a sign of the dizzy going out. Ive never heard of the tach reading that far of though..so i cant comment on that

accord_si
08-10-2005, 09:11 AM
sounds to me like you have an alternator or voltage regulator problem

jman123
08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I would look at the alternator and voltage regulator first, either could also cause your power while driving problem too.

get_deez_nuts69
08-27-2005, 07:53 AM
i have an 89 lxi and i had the sputtering problem when i would drive too. one of the o-rings on my injectors was broke and needed to be replaced. i also had a problem with my tach when i would drive it would jump up and down and the idle wouldnt change, i had my alternator replaced and it hasnt done it since.

lostforawhile
12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
has anyone found a solution to this yet? i'm having the same problem i think it might be the module in the distributor it only jumps at low rpm,of course it might also be the alternator having a problem at low rpm. it's not the tach itself because both tachs do the same thing, it must be the signal from the distributor.

Kabuki
12-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Eh? Yes, this is a pretty common problem when the Igniter is starting to die. The coil can make it happen too, it just depends upon what else is happening.

lostforawhile
12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
hmmm I have an ignitor somewhere in al the boxes of crap in my shop need to start digging,if that doesn't work i'll swap the coil if that doesn't work i'll have to pull the freakin alternator again which i really don't want to do.

lostforawhile
12-05-2005, 08:02 PM
well after digging through about ten boxes of nuts and bolts, electrical doodads,and other assorted and rare honda parts,I finally found one in my glove box of all places. (me found a lot of parts i didn't know me had:dunno: ) also a bunch of those tropical spiders, :ugh: . and after crawling around in the loft. hey I found an lxi hatch door up there. :) not sure where it came from. but anyway,if it doesn't work does anyone know of a source for the igniter? advance here wants 200 bucks for it. not the distributor but just the ignitor unit.

Kabuki
12-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Is it a TEC or Hitachi Distributor? If it's a TEC, I might have one from my 1G CR-X I can part with rather inexpensively, and it's an OE unit. I can also get ahold of some new aftermarket units for about half of Honda list price.

lostforawhile
12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
hitichi

Kabuki
12-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Nuts... Well, there are aftermarket units available, though I really don't have any experience with them. The part number is 30120-PH4-005, and it lists for $203.78. I can ship out a couple of different brands for $50 and $75, respectively, or the OE unit made by Hitachi for $183. All prices include shipping. Unfortunately, this unit is located on the inside of the distributor, over the shaft. So you may find the entire distributor gone at the wrecking yards. Let me know if you want one, otherwise, I hope you can find a good used one!

lostforawhile
12-07-2005, 06:56 PM
yea i'm going to find some used distributors and store a few units,i just can't spend that kind of money,there is an aftermarket unit available for converting points distributors,i might buy one of those and convert it it over,than at least i can fix it. with that system,you have just the pickup in he dostributor,the ignitor unit is external and is commonly available at auto parts stores. I can't remember whats it's based from.

lostforawhile
12-14-2005, 01:06 PM
well I had to buy one,150 bucks:uh: and it ran fine at school when i put it in,but this morning wouldn't start. I'm thinking the plugs are fouled,due to the ignition coil not operating properly. it started this afternoon but ran rough. My theory is that the plugs being all fouled up they might have had moisture on them. I've been too sick today to do anything about it,but i will try later. Did anyone else have ignition coil damage due the erratic signal from the igniter? I have a spare coil in the trunk,I need o go swap it out. oh the tach doesn't jump anymore now that the unit is in. oh can someone look at a distributor and see if the hitachi symbol faces the rotor? I'm pretty sure it's right,but i couldn't remember. i just went by the wear markings on the magnet. I'm talking about the reluctor magnet now. the little toothed thing under the rotor.

Kabuki
12-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Yes, the two terminals and the hitachi label face up.

lostforawhile
12-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Yes, the two terminals and the hitachi label face up.
I meant the hitachi elblem stamped into the reluctor magnet, you should be able to see that,vs. you couldn't see it if it was on backwards. I'm talking about the reluctor magnet it self. not the module,II know how that goes on.

Kabuki
12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Ooops... Sorry, not saying you are dumb or anything... Thought you were asking bout the wrong part, I guess...

lostforawhile
12-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Ooops... Sorry, not saying you are dumb or anything... Thought you were asking bout the wrong part, I guess...thats all right I should have worded it better,no offence taken except for the chilli I ate earlier:bowrofl: I would like to see how someone could put one of those on with the terminals facing the wrong way.