PDA

View Full Version : i bought a tach

dXsquared
08-12-2002, 06:23 PM
i have an external tach that i have wired and i need to know where to plug the wire in the actually moves the tach. i was told the greeen wire that goes to the coil but i just wanted to ask all who knew. thanx alot

Travis

A20A1
08-12-2002, 06:41 PM
green wire goes to the negative coil terminal.... I hope... hehehe

well anyways is it an autometer tach... did you clip the apropriate wires on the back?

dXsquared
08-12-2002, 07:14 PM
what wires do u mean? and how sure are u on the green one?
Travis

snapper
08-14-2002, 10:10 AM
I hooked up an external tach to adjust my carb this past weekend. You need to hook the green wire up to the blue wire that comes from the ignition coil. If you look at the ignition coil it's the bottom left clip. I didn't have the proper clip to piggy back off the wire so I just stripped back a little of the wire's covering and clipped the green wire on. Obviously, take the black wire and ground it to an engine bracket or something, but not the negative terminal on the battery. A technician told me that soldering the clip to the wire was the best bet, but just clipping it on with the aligator clip worked fine for me. Hope this helps.

carotman
08-14-2002, 12:23 PM
don't we already have a tach in the car?

snapper
08-15-2002, 02:28 AM
Yeah, but it's nice to have it right there under the hood next to the carb while you're adjusting it. It gets it just right.

carotman
08-15-2002, 05:41 AM
haaaaa that's different then :p