PDA

View Full Version : Question about idle Not the normal question I really really need help

ambrosia530
08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
88 Honda Accord LX .
I have oil coming out of the top of my Valve cover where one of my valve cover grommets is cracked and falling apart. Can that by chance cause me to have problems with getting my idle set? I get it to the correct idle but when I get it to where it is supposed to be it starts to die unless I push on the gas and then it stutters. All of my vacume line is new. and no vacum leaks. Timming is correctly set. Please someone help me I have been jacking with this for almost 3 weeks now...... Thank you...
I think I have the part wrong. So if someone knows wether I do or not please let me know...

A20A1
08-09-2005, 11:24 AM
the top?

do you mean near the bolts?

or do you mean the gasket between the head and the valve cover?

Maybe check your PCV valve

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?threadid=69

replace the valve

replace the gasket, but it's not that critical...

if you have a leaky valve then it could cause idle problems and cause excess pressure in the valve cover.

ambrosia530
08-09-2005, 11:30 AM
The grommets on top of the valve cover. There are bolts in them. If you look at the top of the valve cover there are 2 of them with bolts in them. The one that is closest to my oil cap is the one that is broke and leaking oil.

A20A1
08-09-2005, 11:36 AM
oh, well that might not be bad, oil kicks around a lot as the engine runs so just replace it when you're ready and it should get rid of the leak.
Those grommets usualy come with a new valve cover gasket.

Still check the PCV valve, remove it and shake it to see if it rattles without getting stuck. Careful when removing though since the valve is in a plastic pipe and the pipe tends to crack trying to remove it.

ambrosia530
08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
I can't even get my pcv to move. It is like stuck in place. I have reliezed that the guy who owned the car before me didn't do crap to the car....... And now I am paying for it.... What could be causeing the problem with the idle my timing is fine and I checked the timing belt it is fine.