PDA

View Full Version : weird idel and dieing under 1000rpm's

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-09-2005, 12:44 PM
hey i just got my car back 2 gather a couple days ago and since then its been acting strange. the idel has always went a lil up and down never a problum. but now when it goes under 1k rpm it wants 2 keep droping and stall out. or when im going a stedy speed it wants 2 jerk a lil. i thought it might b the carb since i was told i need a new 1. but i cleaned it and its still acting the same. it could b my dist because i had taken it off but it was put back on right. i know i have a few vac lines not connected and blocked off but hard 2 find a good vac diagram. mainly there is a #8 vac that comes from the air cleaner dunno where it goes and there are 2 other vacs i can see that are blocked off. but seeing as its never happend before it's not a big factor. i just got done raiseing the rpm 2 over 1k so hopefully itll stop dieing. by the way the blk plastic screw on carb mine doesnt have 1. i guess sumone put a hex screw in it so it cant b adjusted but that has never giving me a problum either. i went and bought sum fuel stuff imma try that now and see what happens. anyone got any other idea's? oh and while i have this tread up also started hearing a squeek from driver rear tire like the struts. it happens if i sit in the car move the car or bounce up and down on the car, even driving. any idea's on that? thx

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-10-2005, 11:52 AM
ok well iv added the fuel stuff and cheacked my dist and carb and vacs and fuel filter and nothing is wrong wit them. and its still doing it. i was cheacking the carb and found that the float gets stuck even after i cleaned it. like the spring is worn out. i was thinking of pulling the carb and taking it apart. but iv seen threads about dont flip them. are they anything like the lude carbs? cause if so i had flipped my lude carbs many times before and never had a problum.i was just gonna by new carb since its only $215 . so any ideas on what could still b doing this? p.s its not fun when u go 2 brake fast at a light and the car dies :uh: power brakes err.

A20A1
08-10-2005, 01:19 PM
there is no spring in the float, its all gravity.

frantik
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
my car started doing this lately too :( i haven't been driving it that much lately and the other day when i started it, it would idle too low and it even stalled one time coming off the freeway. fookin a

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-14-2005, 12:51 PM
ok so i took the trip up 2 portland and the car is still bucking at constant speed. i had 2 stay above 70 for it 2 even act right. it feels like its not getting gas and starts2 slow down. but if i slam on the gas it acts just fine.still having a prolum wit the idel dieing also. it stays at like 1k rpm sumtimes and then other times ill take it outta gear and itll just drop all the way down and wanna stall out. by the way right before it tryes 2 stall i hit the gas and it makes a weird rattle sound. sumone plz help on this.

A20A1
08-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Here are some close up diagrams it should help.

Blue colored bits are the 2 main sets of metal hard vacuum lines.

The red is the vacuum lines that go to the air cleaner.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4463
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4464

A20A1
08-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I would rebuild the carb... don't worry about flipping the carb it doesn't make anydifference when I did it.

Check your Booster Venturies and see if they are loose.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-15-2005, 12:39 PM
thx very much man imma cheack those out and get a rebuild kit. but the carb cleaner i got says not 2 use while car is running or on hot parts or rubber.also not sold in california

A20A1
08-15-2005, 12:54 PM
hmm, yeah it may dry the rubber out or melt it, depends what kind of cleaner it is.

As for hot parts I've never had problems... and you do need the car running, when cleaning the carb barrels, so you don't get a big pool of cleaner in the intake manifold.

FyreDaug
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Well even if the car did stall out when you are braking, you should have power still built up for about 2-3 full pedal presses.

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
its gunk carb and fuel injector cleaner. says itll cause a fire or can cause if use on hot parts or while car is running. and umm yesh i do have power for a sec or 2 but that doesnt help when u gotta brake right away and the brake gets hard 2 push. thx 4 the vac diag though it helps me find a couple that are missing or blocked. if i knew how 2 run the car wit just the 3 needed that would b great since i dun have 2 smog in eugene.

A20A1
08-15-2005, 08:12 PM
2 Gold things?

You mean the Air Bleed valves?

... post here, don't PM me.

Some only came with 1 air bleed. Yours is connected to the hot air door diaphragm on the air cleaner right?

dalinxz
08-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I just bought a 1988 Honda Accord EXi and it seems to be doing this too any news on how to fix it my uncle whos a mechanic said it should be idling at 800-900 so i dont know , my aunt has an 89 honda accord lx and hers idles at 1000-1100

A20A1
08-17-2005, 12:10 AM
You have EFI ( Fuel Injected )

Your Aunt has a Carbureted motor.
This thread mainly is focused on the LX carbed motor.

Have you tried to lower your idle speed on the EX-I ? I would lower it to 800.

dalinxz
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
No my 1988 Honda Accord EXi is a carburator too I believe because it looks the same as my aunts and has some sort of filter on the top also so i think its carburator too. How do you change the idling speed? Also today i started it and it turned on went to 3000 immediately dropped to 500 and just died and i turned it on again i basically have to accelerate it and rev it a bit and then it will stay on so can anyone descrive the problem.

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-17-2005, 10:13 PM
2 Gold things?

You mean the Air Bleed valves?

... post here, don't PM me.

Some only came with 1 air bleed. Yours is connected to the hot air door diaphragm on the air cleaner right?
umm i dunno and yeah i think thas them but mine only has the 1 by the lower bowl. and i dunno what it leads into havnt taken it apart.

A20A1
08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Well the air bleed screws in from the underside of the air cleaner... don't try to remove it from the top.

ACCORD1.8CARB
08-18-2005, 01:01 PM
hmmm is it nessery 2 have 2? i only have 1 but every other carb iv seen has 2 of them. 2 bad u couldnt make it 2 the portland meet, then maybe u could take a look at her. but imma see if anyone else there can figure my prob out and help me hopefully. its still wanting 2 stall out on me every time i stop. and wants 2 buck a lil. imma try and replace the fuel filters before then and see if that helps. also imma take a look at the dist and see if that could b a prob. any other idea's?

Pro_Mod_Accord
08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
hhmmmm.......Check your float bowl level,,,there is a window on the side of the carb

Remove you air filter and fire her up...check to see how the primary coke valve is positioned....mine was stickin once a while (linkage on the side)...let it idle then rev it...see how the position of it reacts....Mine is completely removed....idles great...sometimes a little hard to start when cold...

Check your timing

Possible Vacum leak

clogged fuel filter

low fuel pressure

Distributer Vac Leak

Brake Booster Vac Leak

thought some of these might help yah out...2 many possibilites.....

dalinxz
08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I checked my carb and seems like one of the bleed valves didnt have a screw and was just lying there so I put in a screw but its bigger so I dont think it affects anything at least it doesnt move that much? but still acts the same. Btw my battery died today so I had to get a boost from my aunts car.