PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with my car? hesitation problem & starting problem!

gsus
08-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Hey guys, my 89 lx-i is messing up on my dad (he uses it for work). Today was the first time I drove the car in a while…. It hesitates like a mofo in 1st & 2nd gear primarily. It revs up slow for some reason (it was quicker when I had adjusted the old timing belt), and once it hits about 3.5k rpm’s it the power just goes out & it seems like you are dragging something. It got on my nerves after a couple a times so I kept my foot planted & continued to drag & get slower for a while, then it shoots up to 4k rpm & seems fine. When you are super easy on the gas… the car will go up to about 4.5-5k rpms until the hesitation kicks in! this really drags what is it?

Also, the car appears to have problems starting up… and when it is about to start, it struggles badly & I have to give it gas to bring it to live.

Things that have been done to the engine/tranny since I’ve owned the car (since February):

Exedy clutch
Plugs (bosch +2’s)
Wires
Cap & rotor
Timing belt (after the other one broke)
Water pump
I believe the fuel pump was either fixed or replaced

That’s about it I think

Please help!
-gsus

cubert
08-11-2005, 07:54 AM
are you sure the timing is dead on?

gsus
08-11-2005, 08:04 AM
are you sure the timing is dead on?

yes, i checked it right after the timing belt was done, cuz the car felt really lazy after the timing belt job.

gsus
08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
could the fuel pump cause this?

also, when the car hits this hesitation barrier.. there is some funky noise going on the left side (if you are sitting inside the car) of the engine bay area.

gsus
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
okay my engine light turned on the way home... the LED flashes 6 times... what codes is this?

A20A1
08-11-2005, 02:11 PM

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=26342 or http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=185

Hope you have coolant in your car.

Deadhead
08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Alright, this is what my manual says about getting 6 blinks

symptoms:
- high idle speed during warm-up
- High Idle speed
- Hard starting at low temp

Possible Cause:
- Disconnected coolant temperature sensor coupler
- open or short circuit in coolant temperature sensor wire
- Faulty coolant temperature sensor (thermostat housing)

gsus
08-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Alright, this is what my manual says about getting 6 blinks

symptoms:
- high idle speed during warm-up
- High Idle speed
- Hard starting at low temp

Possible Cause:
- Disconnected coolant temperature sensor coupler
- open or short circuit in coolant temperature sensor wire
- Faulty coolant temperature sensor (thermostat housing)

thanks i'll have to check that stuff.