PDA

View Full Version : Debuggin the AC code....

kaltenacht
08-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok so lately its been so freakin hot (and that fact that I have black interior, and as we all know heat + black = hell) around here I decided it might be time to fix my A/C... (o no you think, not another A/C post!!!) Its ok though cause I have a decent knowledge about A/C... So, as for most older cars, i turn on my A/C and out comes the hot air, so that must mean that it is low on R12. So i already know that I must retrofit my car to R134a, which isnt a problem cause Autozone sells a complete retrofit kit for 34 dollars. So here comes my question. Is there anyway I can check any or all of my A/C parts to make sure they are in working condition? I.E. the Compressor and Clutch, the EVAP core, the Condensor things like that, how would I check those to make sure they work? Or is this something I would have to figure out once I retrofit my car? And is there anyway I can vaccum my old system free of any R12 and or the oils without having to take it to a mechanic?

Blkblurr
08-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Just do the retrofit. If you have a leak the R12 is gone. Add the new oil in the kit and do a vacuum check for seeing if it holds vacuum. I assume you have a vacuum pump and a set of guages? If you do then evacuate the system for 30 minutes or more. once that's done shut your vacuum source off and look at the guage reading in the vacuum range. check it 30 minutes to an hour later to see if it has risen any. If so you have a leak. I would then change to o-rings on your hose going into the condesor core in the front and the o-ring on the side that has a bolt to hold it on. Use refrigerent sealant on the threads of the front hose/tube. You can get that at Pep Boys. Next charge the system with R134A. It will take about two 12 ounce bottles on an empty system. Do not go over 60 psi during charging as measured by your guages. Once your bottle freezes up put it into warm water to speed up the charge process. Remember do not go over 60 PSI while charging. Some people say to change the receiver jar so that you get good drying ability but I did not and my system works very well. I let the vacuum pump run for over two hours. That boiled off any moisture I had in the system. the new receiver jars do not come with the sight glass. I also used r134a with a leak dye in it to show me where my system was leaking. Hope this helps

Oldblueaccord
08-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Just do the retrofit. If you have a leak the R12 is gone. Add the new oil in the kit and do a vacuum check for seeing if it holds vacuum. I assume you have a vacuum pump and a set of guages? If you do then evacuate the system for 30 minutes or more. once that's done shut your vacuum source off and look at the guage reading in the vacuum range. check it 30 minutes to an hour later to see if it has risen any. If so you have a leak. I would then change to o-rings on your hose going into the condesor core in the front and the o-ring on the side that has a bolt to hold it on. Use refrigerent sealant on the threads of the front hose/tube. You can get that at Pep Boys. Next charge the system with R134A. It will take about two 12 ounce bottles on an empty system. Do not go over 60 psi during charging as measured by your guages. Once your bottle freezes up put it into warm water to speed up the charge process. Remember do not go over 60 PSI while charging. Some people say to change the receiver jar so that you get good drying ability but I did not and my system works very well. I let the vacuum pump run for over two hours. That boiled off any moisture I had in the system. the new receiver jars do not come with the sight glass. I also used r134a with a leak dye in it to show me where my system was leaking. Hope this helps

You can look into something called Freeze 12. It replaces r-12 and carries the oil so you dont have to change anything. Its a down and dirty way to get your system going. I get mone at Adanced auto parts. I put some in my old Chrysler last may and its worked since.

You can buy a compressed air vacuum pump from harbor freight for about $14 bucks but you need compressed air to run in and it takes alot. Vauum pumps are pretty expensive otherwise.

wp

Blkblurr
08-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Freeze 12 will work as well. I just like to convert because all my equipment for charging is R134A connectors. Once I pulled a vacuum and fixed all the leaks my system gets so cold I have to turn it down. Even when it's 90+ degrees out and dew points of 70. If you have access to a vacuum pump and guages it makes a huge difference on how cold the system gets when you do it right.

kaltenacht
08-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Well thanks for the replies, i read them all and i've been considering what to do. What i do know now however is that charging and troubleshooting A/C is a little more difficult than I had first expected. I was hoping just to drain my A/C and retrofit and charge with R134a but now it looks like im in for a little bit more work!