PDA

View Full Version : ghetto home bass

acco-R-d
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
I have a 12" home powered subwoofer, and it really pounds. i was wandering if i could rig it up 2 my panisonic HU. it has a 5V output, and i can power the sub, but i dont know if it will work b/c there it a red and white female subwoofer cord on the HU but my home sub only has one cord. is it possible to get like a y shaped cord where it has 2 into 1 cord.

FyreDaug
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
You can, I assume the house sub has an RCA input right? Your HU would have to have rca out for it to work. And you would also need 120VAC power to it

EDIT: And if its a sub, its mono, so just pick one of your rca outs and run a cable from it to the input in the sub amp. You dont need a 2into1

88accordalltheway
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
yes, i did this same thing once when i was desperate for some bump, what you need frist is a power inverter, to give you a wall plug from your cigerette lighter, and then you would need(not really because you could use just one side) an rca splitter. Good luck with the ghetto hook up.

frankie89
08-11-2005, 05:55 PM
thats ghetto..(my .02)

acco-R-d
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
just a small update. my 120 watt sub was too much for teh 140 watt inverter. i dont know if it wasnt drawing enough. it was start beeping halfway cranked up and lesser bass songs. now the invertor dosent work. any suggestions on how to get enough power w/ havin 2 do a whole system. im on a extremely tight budget. when i had teh sub goin it was amazing, but wasnt reaching its full potential. should i just get a inverter w/ more watts?

FyreDaug
08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
should i just get a inverter w/ more watts?

Yeah, the 120w sub probably peaks at 200+watts and the inverter cant handle it. Go for 250w+

88accordalltheway
08-12-2005, 07:42 PM
should i just get a inverter w/ more watts?
no, just save your money for a real system. You would have to spend about a third of what a system is just to get this ghetto one running.

acco-R-d
08-12-2005, 08:13 PM
naw i saw a 300w inverter for 99.99 . pkus my sub was pounding really hard. it low volumes it shook the whole car, especially the rear view mirror.the whole system i was wantin would have costed my over $500.i mean my sony pounds really hard. its a ported power sub.

POS carb
08-19-2005, 12:17 PM
you need a bigger inverter... sorry
it may be cheaper to buy your own bass amp and bypass the internal sub amp (run the sub from the outboard amp)

FyreDaug
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
you need a bigger inverter... sorry
it may be cheaper to buy your own bass amp and bypass the internal sub amp (run the sub from the outboard amp)

Yeah, if you wanted something cheap, you can use that home sub with a car amp. I dont know why I didnt even say that. But it would be alot cheaper I think. 100 bucks for an inverter to do a ghetto job, or 40 bucks for a cheap 300w amp for your ghetto job. By no means is it something of quality, but by saying ghetto, thats implied.

acessence
08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
you can use a computer power supply, as each conection going to say a hard drive or cd-rom is 12 volt, u just have to ground a connection on the clip that normally will conect to the board, u can email me ,and i can tell u which one. I run a complete car system off two computer power supplies,one for the deck and 4 speakers, and then one for the subwoofer ,and amp for in the house, very simple

FyreDaug
08-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Yeah but some people have a decent sized amp that a computer power supply would not be able to compete with. A 500w computer PSU, is probably only good for about 150w rms at 12V. Maybe 250w max, but I wouldnt run a sub off a computer psu.

acessence
08-26-2005, 12:03 PM
You hook up a small battery after the the power supply, then battery to amp

Yeah but some people have a decent sized amp that a computer power supply would not be able to compete with. A 500w computer PSU, is probably only good for about 150w rms at 12V. Maybe 250w max, but I wouldnt run a sub off a computer psu.