PDA

View Full Version : Putting head back on. Cam too long?

Stockli
08-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, it's been about a month in the works right now.

I took the head off and it was cracked in 3 places. I bought a remanufactured one off of ebay and put it on today.

When installing the timing belt, I noticed it was a bit crooked from the tensioner to the cam pulley. After I looked at the shop manual, I noticed that the camshaft stuck out roughly 3/4" to 1" from the end of the head (I verified this later on my old head) Well, the camshaft on the remanufactured head sticks out almost an inch longer, pushing the cam gear out too far. The timing belt cover would not be able to go back if I tried to install it.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? I'm going to call the guys who redid the head and tell them to ship me the proper camshaft.

A20A1
08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Are you sure it's an A20 head? all intake and exhaust ports the same...

nevermind..
lol, oh you got the wrong cam.
I didn't know heads came with their own cam, I thought it was seperate.

Stockli
08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it was a complete head minus the studs. The lobes seem to line up just fine, it's the cam gear end that's extended. I don't know what the deal is.

Any tips on replacing the cam with head installed on the block? Thanks

A20A1
08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
does the ditributor click in place?

no tips really, just leave it how it was when you removed the head... hopefully you had everything at TDC. Loosen the rocker assembly and lift the cam out.

carotman
08-12-2005, 02:42 AM
What are the casting numbers on the head and cam?

Stockli
08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Heads are PJO. Old Cam is R5 new Cam is R3.

Thinking about using old cam on new head for the time being. Bad idea?

88Accord-DX
08-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, to me it looks like there might be two different cams. If the old cam doesn't stick out too long, then go for it. Cams last for some time with proper engine maintenance. If your worried about the lobe specifications being worn down, sure there are specs. somewhere on here to check.

Stockli
08-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks, man. I'll let you know how it goes.

88Accord-DX
08-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Here is a thread I see on cam lobe specs.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=45663

3G Jester
08-12-2005, 06:38 PM
i wouldnt suggest throwing and old cam in there. if your in a rebuild dont settle for half assed. walk for a week and get it done right. get it all shipped overnight and call them up. if your charasmatic enough and ruthless they should pay for it :)

88Accord-DX
08-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah, good luck getting another camshaft from a person selling a re-build head off ebay & waiting for a different camshaft to come through. Depends on how long you want to hold your breath on that..
Like I said, check the lobes on the duration for specifications. Will need an outside micrometer to measure it. If it is out of specs, don't use it. If it's within specs, should be ok.

Stockli
08-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Talked to the guy yesterday, he's sending a replacement camshaft. Should be in soon.

88Accord-DX
08-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Talked to the guy yesterday, he's sending a replacement camshaft. Should be in soon.
Cool, I thought it was from someone that just had a re-build head he didn't use on his car. Good deal, I've had some issues from sellers on ebay before. Need to be carefull who you deal with on there or you could be stuck out.