PDA

View Full Version : loose idle screw

segahekui
08-13-2005, 11:21 AM
yes.. another idle problem thread. Im having the fluctuating idle problem it will rev to 1700+- and then drop to 1000 over and over while in idle. Im pretty sure the problem is the idle screw. It seems whenever im done driving far or fast it will come out almost all the way. Everytime i get off the highway i have to screw it back till the idle drops to 1k and stays steady. Is there any way to make sure it doesnt keep coming unscrewed? Im seriously thinking about a little ductape to hold it. which is probably not the best of ideas...

A20A1
08-13-2005, 11:59 AM
You mean the screw on the left side of the carb (passenger side)

You live in the US?

Anyways how do you know the screw is loose?
Is it's easy or hard to turn with a screw dirver and does it still have the little spring on the screw?

It may not be the screw.

What do you mean screw it back in? You screw out the idle screw (Counter-Clockwise to lower the idle speed.

segahekui
08-13-2005, 12:50 PM
yeah, the bronze screw on the passender side.
yes, Florida.

the screw is generally easy to turn with a screwdriver and i could tell it was coming out because its normally about 1/8" inside.. but when i check it after driving it sometimes its been sticking out about quarter of an inch.

and for me clockwise lowers the idle speed.. ?

A20A1
08-13-2005, 01:13 PM
hmm, I guess it could do it that way, if you're making more vacuum because of screwing in the screw... then the higher vacuum would pull away the idle diaphragm lowering the idle.

carotman
08-13-2005, 05:47 PM
His car is fuel injected. And yes, turning it clockwise will lower the idle speed.

Oldblueaccord
08-13-2005, 06:34 PM
yes.. another idle problem thread. Im having the fluctuating idle problem it will rev to 1700+- and then drop to 1000 over and over while in idle. Im pretty sure the problem is the idle screw. It seems whenever im done driving far or fast it will come out almost all the way. Everytime i get off the highway i have to screw it back till the idle drops to 1k and stays steady. Is there any way to make sure it doesnt keep coming unscrewed? Im seriously thinking about a little ductape to hold it. which is probably not the best of ideas...

might have to try some lock tite like the blue its not permenant or some teflon tape. It shouldnt be unscrewing at all.

wp

A20A1
08-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Ooops, sorry didn't realise you were FI

Strugglebucket
08-13-2005, 11:48 PM
just replace the o-ring on it.

paso100
08-14-2005, 12:00 AM
If a new O ring doesn't cure the problem, another trick is to put a dab of paint on it; nail polish, model paint, etc. Something w/ a small brush.

segahekui
08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
tru.. never thought about the o-ring.

thanks