PDA

View Full Version : can i ask why everyone is still so obsessed with B20A ??

night
08-12-2002, 07:45 PM
i really dont get it. it has no aftermarket that would even slightly make it worth the swap.
the time alone would make me feel cheated after i finished.

just curious... the last time i was here everyone was just getting into the B20A thing. and its still going. i mean, this is 2002 for gods sake :D

its not like place racing is the only way. they are to damn expensive, but some custom welded mounts are not hard to do.
i am *still* building a CRVtec, but am really getting it together finally.

im trying to make sure of one thing, but if it turns out right then i will let yall know if you can do it too. it makes the swap so much easier

marc49
08-12-2002, 08:40 PM
I still have dreams of a CRVtec swap :(

PhydeauX
08-12-2002, 08:42 PM
The allure of having a b-series, the fabled 160hp in stock form, the ease of a bolt in swap, we all want what we don't have. The aftermarket is just as good as the a20a.

andy

night
08-12-2002, 08:55 PM
haha, thats a good one.

"just as good as the A20" :D

staticpat
08-12-2002, 09:02 PM
its my dream, cuz its easier to find automatic ones, and it will work with a carb, and nowhere near as pricey. as long as theres headers and stuff ill be happy.

night
08-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by marc49
I still have dreams of a CRVtec swap :(

well then, good for you. the wet dreams are gettin to me. i am running out of good towels..... :eek:

there really isnt much to it to build a basic CRVtec.
its just that im doing everything performance wise i can before i put it in. once its in and running i am not gonna touch it for a long while. gonna build a shifter kart :D

you could even just drop an LS in there for now. they are dirt cheap and you wont have to mess with the hybrid part of it.
the B18B is 140hp. with lotsa room to expand. or a bone stock B20Z with 146 hp and a chunk more torque.

of course life always gets in the damn way.....

toastyghost
08-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Yeah don't you mean "just as bad as the A20A"? hehehe...
If the age of the engine bothers you that much why the fuck would you want to drive a 15 year old car?!
I thought the B20B/Z straight swap wouldn't work because of hood clearance of the head.. was I misunderstanding something about this?
And that's 160hp stock form AND 140 ft-lbs peak tq, even the type R engines don't have that much torque!@# (B18C5 = 127, I don't know the exact number for the Civic one but I know it's less torque than the 'teg)

HondaSi88
08-13-2002, 03:07 AM
You wanna know something at this point I just want my car running again!
And I thought going the b20 route was the easiest since it was an older engine and almost a direct fit! For the life of me I can't understand why Placeracing charge so much for mounts!!!!!!
I was checking ebay and they sale mounts for the 87-92 civic for not even 200.....Well looks like I might be getting an A again!

MoonScryer
08-13-2002, 05:26 AM
They can cause they know people will buy them if they truly want them. Also, I think it has to do with the fact that so few get bought, and there is less of a market for them.

carotman
08-13-2002, 05:43 AM
The B20A is just a wonderful engine.

It has alot of "unknown" aftermarket support

You can get everything you want for that engine... Just take parts from a Civic or Integra or Prelude..

Everything is there..... you just have to dig the info.... and this is what's fun.

B16A, B18 ir H22 aren't fun anymore :p

PhydeauX
08-13-2002, 08:17 AM
How much interchangablilty is there between the b20a and the b20a3/5 from the gen3 lude?

andy

RCracer
08-13-2002, 11:24 AM
According to my info the B20 engines that came to the UK in the 3rd gen accord were the B20A2 (like I have) and the B20A7.

carotman
08-13-2002, 12:25 PM
They share the most important things

They have the same pistons and rings
You can use the prelude crank and rods
The exhaust manifold is the same

night
08-13-2002, 04:24 PM
the header flange may be the same, but since they dont exactly lean the same....

88LXi68
08-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Night...
Im in the process of building an LS/Vtec and I have the MOST important part....THE MOUNTS!! I got them off EBAY for $400. PRICEY but well worth it. My swap hasnt been going at the pace I have wanted but I am still doint it and STILL buying go fast parts.

Here is what I have so far:
B18A1 72k
Unorthordox Pulleys
AEM Cam gears
PR4 ECU which I cant use anyway! :(
PRI mounts

What I still need:
JDM Y1 LSD Cable Tranny I can get one for $500 but I want to find one a little cheaper
B16A1 Head
Skunk2 Manifold
Crower cams
PR3 ECU
PRI wire stuff and linkages

I got a ways to go but thats what winter is for and a beater car to drive

MoonScryer
08-13-2002, 04:51 PM
The only thing to worry about it the tranny - you break that, you are FUBAR'ed. I'm still leaning toward a B20a, I've got the distributor for it, and some other stuff, but a multi-throttle body 11:1 compression A20 sure sounds like fun; it's something different :D

night
08-13-2002, 06:25 PM
holy ****. where is that LSD tranny ?

ill buy it tomorrow. hook me up...

RobT5580
08-13-2002, 06:27 PM
I like the B20A a lot but im leaning towards a B16 because of the fact i can use it in other cars if need be with no problem. Plus parts galore and support for it. I do realize it will cost me more but either way i go i will be building it so they will be about the same in that aspect. The main part is the hardware but i would buy a B20 in a heart beat if it wasnt so hard to get things redily available. The B20 would be a nasty motor if honda brought it over here because for one the torque is a lot higher than other B-series which is the way to start.

night
08-13-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
Night...
Here is what I have so far:
B18A1 72k
Unorthordox Pulleys
AEM Cam gears
PR4 ECU which I cant use anyway! :(
PRI mounts

What I still need:
JDM Y1 LSD Cable Tranny I can get one for $500 but I want to find one a little cheaper
B16A1 Head
Skunk2 Manifold
Crower cams
PR3 ECU
PRI wire stuff and linkages

ummm, ok the initial shock has worn off. now the rest of it...

i dont like the after market pulleys (unless they have the rubber insert now), but thats your call.
i might be able to connect you to someone with a B17 head. has a burnt valve and they are deciding to fix it or not.
dont get the skunk manifold. the ITR is better (and only 225 bucks). the skunk is really only good if you have a GSR head. and i would highly recommend the skunk2 cams over crower. crowers, well, pretty much suk.
and the ECU of choice is the P28. i got one for like 70 bucks off ebay a while back. just gotta be patient. dont even remember what the PRx's are from.

88LXi68
08-13-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by night

ummm, ok the initial shock has worn off. now the rest of it...

i dont like the after market pulleys (unless they have the rubber insert now), but thats your call.
i might be able to connect you to someone with a B17 head. has a burnt valve and they are deciding to fix it or not.
dont get the skunk manifold. the ITR is better (and only 225 bucks). the skunk is really only good if you have a GSR head. and i would highly recommend the skunk2 cams over crower. crowers, well, pretty much suk.
and the ECU of choice is the P28. i got one for like 70 bucks off ebay a while back. just gotta be patient. dont even remember what the PRx's are from.

If your serious about that tranny email me, I can connect you with that guy. I only have the crank and power steering pulleys see as though that I will not use the A/C. Let me know about that B17 head, I really want to find a VTEC head for cheap. I did not know the ITR intake manifold was that cheap. I thought it was going to be MUCH more expensive. A cheaper alternative would be a GSR one right? About those Crower rods, I was hooked on them because before I was NOT going to go LS/VTEC I was just going to throw some stuff on the B18A1 and I heard and have seen great results using Crower 402 and 403 cams. So I kind of thought it would translate over. What is the difference between the PR3 and P28? the engine I have is OBD-0 so that plays a big role in the whole swap. It should make it all much easier than using OBD-1 or OBD-2. Hit me up on AIM @ "TheFranchise96" A while back I was trying to get a hold of you because of some questions on wiring.

carotman
08-14-2002, 09:45 AM
The B20A header is the same as the B20A5 header

The downpipes are different tough.

Nothing a tig welder can't fix

Sean
08-14-2002, 07:45 PM
damn night and i have a program to reprogram that damn p28 and p30 ecu what a shame !!!lol need custom fuel maps and such let me know.