PDA

View Full Version : 1986 LX-i Hatch back Questionsss help me please :)

ZackieDarko
08-15-2005, 01:42 PM
first thing first THANK YOU TO WHOM EVER STARTED THIS SITE. i thought that nobody else out there had a car like mine much less wanted to mod it so THANK YOU you are my hero

ok down to the dirty dirty, after being directed to this WONDERFUL site by a kind person at honda-tech.com i have noticed a number of people swaping out their A20 seires motors with these "B20" series engins from japan

im still a little new to the whole accord thing so i just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) i see alot of talk about 2nd 3rd and 4th gen accords, what are the differences. I my self own a 1986 LX-i Hatch (its my baaaaby :) ). so what generation is this?
2.) is this JDM B20 the ONLY engine that will work in my car? are there any others that will work? OR has any one tryed to fit something else in
3.)what is the difference between these B16, B18, and B20 motors aside from the displacement and the different number of Cams
4.)I believe i have the A20A3 engine from what i have gatherd from reading numerous threads, is there anything i can do to the A20A3 to give it some fregn muscle? its so gutless :(
5.) i have heard talk about turbo charged A and B20 series engines, how? what kind of turbos are used? is it all custom work or what?

im sure i will think up more questions seeing as how i am new to trying to make the accord into the street sleeper i know she can be

one last thing..i have not seen ANY flame'en on other people! every one here is really nice and helpful to EVERY ONE and nobody talks down to any one or says "you dont know what you are talking about shut up and go away" etc etc etc...just thought that was really cool

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP

lostforawhile
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
first thing first THANK YOU TO WHOM EVER STARTED THIS SITE. i thought that nobody else out there had a car like mine much less wanted to mod it so THANK YOU you are my hero

ok down to the dirty dirty, after being directed to this WONDERFUL site by a kind person at honda-tech.com i have noticed a number of people swaping out their A20 seires motors with these "B20" series engins from japan

im still a little new to the whole accord thing so i just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) i see alot of talk about 2nd 3rd and 4th gen accords, what are the differences. I my self own a 1986 LX-i Hatch (its my baaaaby :) ). so what generation is this?
2.) is this JDM B20 the ONLY engine that will work in my car? are there any others that will work? OR has any one tryed to fit something else in
3.)what is the difference between these B16, B18, and B20 motors aside from the displacement and the different number of Cams
4.)I believe i have the A20A3 engine from what i have gatherd from reading numerous threads, is there anything i can do to the A20A3 to give it some fregn muscle? its so gutless :(
5.) i have heard talk about turbo charged A and B20 series engines, how? what kind of turbos are used? is it all custom work or what?

im sure i will think up more questions seeing as how i am new to trying to make the accord into the street sleeper i know she can be

one last thing..i have not seen ANY flame'en on other people! every one here is really nice and helpful to EVERY ONE and nobody talks down to any one or says "you dont know what you are talking about shut up and go away" etc etc etc...just thought that was really cool

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :welcome: you obv. love your car and thats's cool. i will try to answer some of your questions as best i can. you also can use the search function there is a lot of information on here that will help you a lot. the third gen. accord is 86-89. i'm glad you have a hatch i'm a little biased about the hatches hehe. anything turbo is going to be a lot of custom work, that's been an ongoing subject on here for years. some simple things you can do are a cat back exaust,header, and intake anything like that will help the engine breath better. there is a ton of information on here if you have trouble finding anything i'm sure someone will help you if they can. if anyone picks on you a little for being a noob don't worry about it it's all in fun most of the guys on here are great guys and will try to help you if they can.

FyreDaug
08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
1.) i see alot of talk about 2nd 3rd and 4th gen accords, what are the differences. I my self own a 1986 LX-i Hatch (its my baaaaby ). so what generation is this?
4.)I believe i have the A20A3 engine from what i have gatherd from reading numerous threads, is there anything i can do to the A20A3 to give it some fregn muscle? its so gutless

1) We are 3rd gen, 3geez for slang I suppose.

2) Anyone with any amount of money can make anything work. Keep that in mind, the b20 swap is common because of simplicity (and by simplicity, dont think I mean it bolts right in, it takes lots of skill, time and money to do it)

3) Your best bet is to search google for that, or even honda-tech should have some answers. I dont know much about the B's myself.

4) This depends on how much you want to spend, and how long you will allow your car to be off the road.
Typical mods are an intake (using a civic box, or custom box like I did) with a larger diameter pipe to a freer flowing filter.
Next is a catback exhaust system, I think we have 1.75" exhaust (at the best point, the bends go down to about 1.5") so putting in a 2" cat back (or 2.25 if you plan to have some more mods done down the road) will help greatly. Mandrel bending is the best, but its expensive. Search about exhausts.
Header is another common mod, and it should help about as much as adding a cat back or an intake will. If your lucky with an intake and full exhaust you should get about 15hp. Every car is different, and no one knows for sure. Just remember you are working with a 100hp motor to begin with.
Your best bet, if you have the money and time is to build your A motor. Throw in some good internals, bump up the compression and throw a wild cam on top with your intake and exhaust and you might see about 150hp. I dont know exact numbers, but I'm in the process of building up an A aswell. And with a built motor you can stop a decent shot of nitrous on there too, aslong as its built to take it.

5) Turbos around here are all completely custom, custom manifold, a small turbo from something else. Custom bent charge pipes, custom everything. Its alot of work and alot of money, and dollar for dollar its cheaper to either buy a new car thats faster, or throw in a better motor. Alot of people like their A's and they are bulletproof motors, so to some its worth it.