PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Removal from 89 Accord DX?

PDub6s
08-16-2005, 06:57 AM
I recently picked up a "well" used 89 Accord DX since gas has went thru the roof. The car runs decent but I'am considering removing the vacuum/emissions parts to simplify things. The car will still have A/C and I'am really looking for MPG not power, but it would be a nice side effect . Is there a way to completely remove all the the vacuum related emissions parts and still have A/C idle boost and possibly keep the choke working? What exactly needs to be done to the carb for mechanical secondaries or is it worth keeping vacuum secondaries if its possible after everything is taken off.

Sorry for the long winded first thread but I'am pretty excited about this little car and I want to make it a nice daily driver.

BTW... I'am planning on following the removal guide based from this page
http://members.fortunecity.com/acco...acuum_lines.htm, and removing everything.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

shepherd79
08-16-2005, 07:20 AM
yes you can keep the AC and remove all the vacuum lines.
As soon as i find what happen to how to thread i will help you.
I assume the How to you are talking about is the one i put together.

PDub6s
08-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Yea, I was referring to the faq you done. The car has been sitting for about 2years and has a bad idle problem. I was really interested in simplifying the whole system but still wanted to keep my choke for cold starts and have a/c.

A20A1
08-16-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=11067
That should keep your choke, be cafeful about the thermovalves cause they are fragile.
As for the A/C idle boost, it's should be a vacuum line from the solenoid to the A/C idle boost diaphragm.

PDub6s
08-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Okay, I've been studying A20A1's info about the Stage 1 removal. That looks like it eliminates most of the emission stuff that could be faulty and lines that could be leaking. So, as long as the choke has vacuum from the manifold it will work? Also in the Stage 1 removal and remove the "metal" vacuum lines along the back of the intake? I plan on doing the Stage 1 setup along with a good tune-up and hope it gets the idle fixed and running smooth. Are there any benefits/side effects to MPG by doing this? What side effects would removing the Air Jet Controller also? I'am really looking for driveability and MPG.

Thanks for all the help,

Paul

A20A1
08-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Don't forget that you need those thermovalve, so please don't break them,... cut the vacuum lines but leave some spare length in the vacuum line to add on to and extend the vaccum line from the thermovale vacuum ports if you can't remove the vacuum line from the thermovalve easily.

The choke runs off manifold vacuum but it needs to go through the thermovalve, because the thermovale is what controls vacuum based on coolant temps running throught the intake manifold.