PDA

View Full Version : Sucking out some freon from a friend's car

superdesi
08-17-2005, 06:55 AM
I have a friend who has a well maintained R-12 system in his 1993 Accord. He is planning on going to the dealership to get it retrofitted to R-134a and pay all the associated costs because he is paranoid about the high costs of R-12. The dealership have brainwashed him into getting R-134a and no matter what he wants to take their advice.

My 1989 Accord is a little low on R-12 and I was wondering can I directly connect the hoses to his car and recover some free freon? If yes......do I connect to the high side or low side? Do I start the cars or leave them off? I will be using a manifold set to do this.

If anyone has done this.....please chime in!

Blkblurr
08-17-2005, 08:55 AM
I've never done it but I know vacuum pumps made for car air conditiioning systems work well for this. You pump the freon out and capture the freon in a can that is connected to the pump exhaust. This is about the only way to recover all of the freon and the only way to not introduce air into the can of freon. it will also prepare your system for new freon and keep it moisture free.

superdesi
08-17-2005, 08:57 AM
I've never done it but I know vacuum pumps made for car air conditiioning work will to this. You pump the freon out with the pump and capture the freon in a can that is connected to the pump exhaust.
I have a vacuum pump. My only concern is would'nt contaminants that eject from the exhaust contaminate the recovered freon?

Blkblurr
08-17-2005, 09:01 AM
I have a friend who has a well maintained R-12 system in his 1993 Accord. He is planning on going to the dealership to get it retrofitted to R-134a and pay all the associated costs because he is paranoid about the high costs of R-12. The dealership have brainwashed him into getting R-134a and no matter what he wants to take their advice.

My 1989 Accord is a little low on R-12 and I was wondering can I directly connect the hoses to his car and recover some free freon? If yes......do I connect to the high side or low side? Do I start the cars or leave them off? I will be using a manifold set to do this.

Why do anything before he needs to? Doesn't make financial sense!!! :dunno:

Blkblurr
08-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Depends on the condition of your pump. Most likely only tiny particles of mineral oil and that shouldn't hurt your system. If your pump passes large amounts of oil when pumping, I wouldn't save the freon.

superdesi
08-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the reply Bro. This is what my friend suggested:

1. Hook my high-side hose to his car's high-side
2. Hook my low-side hose to my car's low-side
3. Start both cars with the A/C on
4. Open the high-side, then charge my car by opening the low-side a little at a time.
5. Disconnect his condenser fan and spray my condenser with a hose.

The center hose on the manifold is not used in this case.

nswst8
08-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Foolish Noob, asking for trouble. just convert yours to R134a its alot less trouble.

without a recovery setup which is not impossible for the diy it will cost dollars.

Oldblueaccord
08-17-2005, 10:11 AM

remember the high side could be as high as 250psi really want to be carefull what you doing.

wp

Blkblurr
08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
converting to R134A is what I would also recommend. It's too much trouble doing what you're talking about. It's less work to convert it.

Rendon LX-i
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Well im planning to do is Going getting my old free on sucked out and put R-134 in....Not now cuz my shit is cold as hell still but thats what im going to do....It all depends on my compressor also