PDA

View Full Version : 88 Honda Accord Power Steering leak

dalinxz
08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey I just noticed that my power steering fluid seems to be disappearing not quick but it is dissapearing slowly and i noticed underneath the car there is something leaking now from what ive seen, I believe its the power steering oil its underneath the car theres a small pan kind of in the front but closer to the middle of the car it has a mini pan and behind it is some popes or tubes and theres oil around one so I think theres oil leaking from it. Does anyone know a fix that wont cost me too much or what I could do?

A20A1
08-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Please post this in the appropriate forum... newbie introduction is not for technical accord question. This thread will be move to the technical section but I will leave a redirect for you to locate your post.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-17-2005, 07:01 PM
The small cover covers the line connections to your steering rack. Remove the cover (a few small bolts) and then you'll be able to see where the leak is coming from. It may be as simple as a hose connection, or the rack itself may need service to correct the problem.

dalinxz
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
i just checked seems as though there were no bolts two spots and seems it was being held by a twist tie and as for the other part of that pan its welded on but how can i tell what the leak is or i mean where its coming from

ice_cold_ian
09-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Uh oh, this could be a biggie...
I was having a slight leak from my powersteering for a while, and i would just top it up every month or so, figured i had a small crack in a hose or somthing, nothing that required any urgent service... Anyway, the problem got worse, and i was losing fluid much faster and my powersteering would cut in and out... So i figured the hose had cracked big, and i needed pretty immediate attention, so i topped it up again to make sure the pump wouldn't run dry and sent it to the mechanic... Unfortunatley i was leeking from the Steering Rack itself, and it needed to be replaced... $850Canadian when it was all said and done ($425 for new power steering Rack, 3 hours leighbor, $70 Front Wheel Alignment)
i hope you don't have the same problem, i know my car is stauts:rebuilt, because it was written off for front end damage quite a few years back, i have always had a funny feeling someone's buddy mechanic did a shotty fix job on all the damge just to get the car on the road again, and this was likley damage from the accident, but who knows...
Anyway, good luck with your problem, hopefully its not a expensive fix.

DBMaster
09-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Mine leaked from that very spot for a good while and also leaked from the pump shaft seal and inner tie rod seals. Eventually it let loose and left a big trail of P/S fluid from my driveway all the way into the garage. I got a new rack two years ago and replaced the pump seal myself.

I had over 200,000 miles on the car so the life of the part was not too bad.