PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Wires

g2driver
08-17-2005, 08:53 PM
First, I know plug wires are not a performance booster, I just didn't put this in the tech section because it applies to Carb & FI.

Would putting huge (13+mm) wires have any negitive affect? And if the wires have a lot less resistance than stock, should the timing, and or the spark plug gap be adjusted?

Thanks guys,
~Matt

A20A1
08-17-2005, 10:25 PM
The wire is not 13mm, 13mm is the insulation. Insulation does not add more resistance.

g2driver
08-18-2005, 06:36 PM
True, but most wires with less resistance have thicker insulation. So if the wires have a lot less resistance than stock, should the timing, and or the spark plug gap be adjusted?

~Matt

A20A1
08-18-2005, 09:32 PM
The only negative effect I see on performance not nessesarily plug life is...
Less resistance will probably shorten the spark duration... plugs have resistance of their own to increase spark durration and cut down on RF interference, but I dunno how much decreasing the wire resistance will effect the plugs resistance, and spark.

If the change is great, then sure, I would adjust gap and timing.
If the change is small I'd leave it alone.

g2driver
08-18-2005, 10:06 PM
OK, thanks. The wires im puttin in are less than 1k resistance, so Id consider it a large change. The timing shoud just be re-set, right, it will change, still 20 degrees. Right? But the gap, whud size would you recommend?

~Matt