PDA

View Full Version : A new idea for a cold air intake (godspeed!)

Acidbath88accordlx
08-17-2005, 10:05 PM
ok it's been talked about numerous times propably a million ar a hundred million... but i have an idea I'm kicking around with lostforawhile with air intakes for carbs...
the idea is getting a boneyard air filter box and cutting the air tubing flush with the side of the box.... then welding a tubalur tubing (i.e. exhuast tubing) where the stock tubing was.... then working the tubing down to the passenger side of the car to the bumper, basically to the stock location of the opening...

The thing is I know it all has to be air tight... and if it works the tubing will be all welded up...

1. does it sound like a plausible idea?
2. I'm going to try it out any one want to know the progress and
3. If it works anyone want to know how to do it cause I'll be taking notes...

Let me know....

A20A1
08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
The stock air box already brings in cold air from the fender well.

The two reasons I don't like the stock air box is because:
A) With the lid closed it creates a huge plenum, and that isn't good for higher rpms.
B) With the lid closed the intake area is restrictive.

My first solution was to expose the filter on all sides to elliminate the air box plenum.
However this led to the hot air situation.

My second sotution was to create a smaller plenum and welded on some metal tubing.
Then feed the intake to the front bumper after turning my battery slightly for the pipe to fit and widening the hole below the battery tray.

My final solution was the hood scoop. But this can reduce aerodynamics and such.

I assume you are going to keep the stock filter inside the air box. If not, you will likely suck in contamination if you do not seal off the PCV filter port on the side of the air box.

MattsAccord
08-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Or get a 89-91 civic intake box and hook intake piping with a cone filter up to it.

halxi
08-20-2005, 11:16 PM
like so:

http://users.4x4wh.com/4x4master/Misc/3geez3.jpg

PikesPeak3g's setup... really clean

Vanilla Sky
08-20-2005, 11:22 PM
something like i did on mine isn't too bad, either. when i did my vacuum removal mod, i sealed up the airbox and got rid of the baffle inside. i'm sure that it flows better. it's more for an emissions-beater vac removal, though. in my case, it was resourcefulness. that and lack of funds.

lostforawhile
08-21-2005, 08:42 AM
what he was talking about is running a bigger pipe to the stock airbox, he wants to keep his heated intake air because being from the same town he's from,you need that heated air in the ohio winter. a lot of people don't realize that's it's not just for cold climates, when air goes through a venturi on a carb it increases in velocity,but it gives up heat in the process. the average temp drop is about 30 degrees. so if you subtract 30 degrees from the outside air,it doesn't take much to run into problems with carb icing. it's also based on humidity the more humidity in the air, the more likely you'll run into that problem. our carbs come with three systems to prevent this,the hot air system,the heated carb plate under the carb,and the fact that coolant flows through the carb,actually four, the heated manifold. i'm working on a system with my cold air intake to be able to apply carb heat when i want,just like an aircraft. when it's cool and humid it will be on.hot and dry it's off. the reason you want a cold air intake isj't primarily temp, but air density. hot air is less dense so there is less of it that can be pulled into the cyls. cool air is more dense and more of it can get into the cyl. they should call them air density intakes,it's more accurate. oh, when i took offf my fender there is an intake restrictor under the fender,it's got a big pipe and a ltlle tiny opening for the air to go through. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_27.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_59.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_77.jpg

Acidbath88accordlx
08-21-2005, 05:15 PM
How did you do yours halxi?

lostforawhile
08-21-2005, 06:16 PM
I have an original idea for an intake.

It's called variable plenum. I'm sure the more mechanically inclined could figure this out.but that would be the intake manifold itself, i believe our manifolds already are like that. the air from the secondary barrel has to take a different path then the air from the primary. the air from the secondary barrel would be travreling at a higher velocity because that barrel operates under higher rpm. it takes a little longer path around the manifold divider. it's been tuned that way for optimum flow under full throttle conditions. as far as the air coming into the intake tube, you want as little restriction as possible. restriction creates friction for the incoming air and not as much can flow into the cylinder for a given intake stroke. same with air density, hot air has fewer oxygen molecules per cubic foot then cool air. fewer oxygen molecules that can be pulled into the engine on the intake stroke.

lostforawhile
08-21-2005, 08:03 PM
what he was talking about is running a bigger pipe to the stock airbox, he wants to keep his heated intake air because being from the same town he's from,you need that heated air in the ohio winter. a lot of people don't realize that's it's not just for cold climates, when air goes through a venturi on a carb it increases in velocity,but it gives up heat in the process. the average temp drop is about 30 degrees. so if you subtract 30 degrees from the outside air,it doesn't take much to run into problems with carb icing. it's also based on humidity the more humidity in the air, the more likely you'll run into that problem. our carbs come with three systems to prevent this,the hot air system,the heated carb plate under the carb,and the fact that coolant flows through the carb,actually four, the heated manifold. i'm working on a system with my cold air intake to be able to apply carb heat when i want,just like an aircraft. when it's cool and humid it will be on.hot and dry it's off. the reason you want a cold air intake isj't primarily temp, but air density. hot air is less dense so there is less of it that can be pulled into the cyls. cool air is more dense and more of it can get into the cyl. they should call them air density intakes,it's more accurate. oh, when i took offf my fender there is an intake restrictor under the fender,it's got a big pipe and a ltlle tiny opening for the air to go through. http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_27.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_59.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_77.jpgthere are some more pics of this intake at my cardomain site,including the pics of the baffling and scoop off the car,maby it will give you some ideas. just click on my car domain link in my signature. i have a directory on my page. :hs:feel free to email me about ideas for intakes i'll try my best to help you.