PDA

View Full Version : my Hatch lx-i b20a 2.1mb VID

Versanick
08-17-2005, 10:23 PM
this is a video of my gagues, watching/listening to it rev to 6950 (a20 ecu), and watching me try to hold the camera and pay attention to shifting, and miss second gear and grind it...

so anyway, you all know, Josh's car, gude head port and polish, 3-angle valves, gude full race cam, aem intake, aem adjustable cam gears, full thermal exhaust, dc 4-2-1 header, msd 6al ignition and coil, ngk plugs and wires, monster 8k tachometer w/shift light, tokico reds, ground control coilovers (all the way down now, as low as they can go), kosei seneka 6spoke race wheels, z-rated 205/40/17s all around, custom erebuni wing, fully bondo'd and molded bumpers (smoothed out instead of ridged like stock), metallic mixed with stock blue for paint, H4 headlight conversion, LSD (unknown origin)

and since I've added a stage 1 centerforce clutch, two faze gagues (oil pressure and temperature), rebuilt the bottom end .020 over, hypereutectic teflon-coated pistons, shot-peened and polished rods, turned crank, block decked, head shaved twice (pistons go above the deck... 13:1ish compression maybe?) new ngk hotter v-power plugs (5).

it's 2.1MB, and in .mov format (quicktime's format)

http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/honda.mov

I am working on a cardomain site that will have lots of pictures that I've been holding back and working on...

enjoy,
paul

88LXi68
08-18-2005, 05:27 AM
if you have 13:1 compression pistons you definitely need some better engine management than an a20 ecu. I remember when I was interested in buying the car Josh told me that it had some high compression.

thegreatdane
08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
yea, 13:1 with the A20A3 fuel management doesnt sound good. You would have trouble running pump gas as well.
But lets see some pics, it looks good so far!

smufguy
08-18-2005, 09:57 AM
you defenitely need a standalone or a piggyback with a OBD-1 conversion and a better fuel management. You absolutely need a colder plug, not a hotter one, but NGK5 sounds like a cold plug so its cool. BPR5s?

13:1 is something i wont be driving around town in tho. Nice sound, but thats just incredabily insane. LSD info is something im very cursious about, if its phantom grip then i am not aroused, if its something else, i would like to know mroe.

Versanick
08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
it's some sort of mechanical LSD that looks almost exactly like my buddy's type-r stock Honda LSD. Josh noted to me, when I told him, that he noticed every time he turned the tires, they both turned, just like with me.

It started when I had the car running a couple of years ago, and the tires would break away half way through first gear, then I'd hit second gear, and they'd still be spinning until 50mph. when I looked back in the mirror, I noticed two large black marks, starting and ending at the same spot, and two more black marks starting and ending for second gear. On the lift, we noticed both wheels turn in the same direction when you turn one. and so we took the transmission partly apart, and as I said earlier, a mechanical honda-looking LSD unit.

The reason for the hotter plugs were that, since the engine had already blown at least twice since I got it from Josh (overheating >> head gasket), and then the car ran 10:1 rich (and worse) constantly and (I believe as a result of gas getting into the oil) the bearings on the bottom end looked like they had 300,000 miles on them, as well as the crank journals being warped and completely messed up..

so some hypereutectic pistons and shot-peen and polished rods, and a turning of the crank with new, massaged bearings, the bottom end is solid and ready for action. The compression is a result of having already had the head off three times, and having the head shaved each time (since, when you blow a head gasket as a result of too much heat, you possibly warped the mating surface of the head, and so on)..

so the head's been shaved 3 times down (none for performance, just for putting the engine back together) and the block has been decked significantly. What kills me is that I had my race shop order 9:1 pistons (lower than the, I think 9.5ish:1 that is stock), but the pistons still go above the deck. the race shop assembled the short, and he guessed that my compression would be in the neighborhood of 13.4ish:1 with a stock thickness head gasket (one from Josh, is what's in there).

So just recently we figured out that the PGM-FI light wasn't just EGR like the cpu had blinked when Josh gave me the car (I just assumed), but it was actually the TDC sensor wire having been completely decrepid inside the connector piece. There was literally no TDC signal going to the ECU, and the computer was running in a super-rich safe mode at all times. The ridiculous richness made it so that the hotter plug ran it better (I don't understand why, but it certainly made a difference).

Now that we've got all that fixed, the car runs very lean. The stock FPR is there (and I have a B&M adjustable FPR to put in to raise the pressure to 40lb>> instead of 33 stock) and I run about 16:1ish lean, even at wide open throttle.

More fuel would do better. And I always use 93 octane, and put two bottles of Octane Booster in whenever I'm going to race. It makes a HUGE difference. no joke. I have some stock temp v-power plugs (4) I think (I have a million NGK plugs around, but they all have japanese writing on them and I don't know what's what), but when I give it WOT for the first time of the day once the car's warmed up, the plugs skip a couple of times on the way to redline.

So part of the prescription for now is: to get mykwikcoupe's GUDE intake/tb, the colder stock v-power plugs, the adjustable FPR to raise the fuel pressure (to get the fuel I need), and then some tuning (adj cam gears).

I'd use a pk2 ECU but I have an 86... the idle controls are like 88-89 with the pk2 and I'd have to do a complete makeover of them, and maybe the black box... I just re-ran all of my vacuums and finally got the idle controls to work they way they are (very well, I might add)... and I don't know, although it'd run better (as well as better dizzy), I don't know if it'll run enough better for it to matter, once I have my fuel pressure

http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/enginebay1.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/fronthoodopen1.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/rearevening1.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/frontseat21.jpg
I also posted those pics in the main Floss your 3g thread... there will be more.
more input would be great... and 13:1 works great around town for me.. I get lots of low end power (despite dual-point fuel injection and race cams) and it makes the noise much more intimidating than before I had the comp so high (maybe 10:1 before rebuild, after the first time I had the head shaved)... the video revving sound is a half-decent hearing of the sound... its loud as HELL though. and I love it. no car on my local scene sounds anything like it. and people don't know what engine it is

they're like 'is that like a CRV b20? is it an f20? like a honda 2000? does it have nitrous?' they just don't get it. I smoke all the b16a civics, even the ones with bolt-ons and gutted interiors, and so on. I love it!

and, by the way, with the super-heavy flywheel (25lbish?) and heavy and wide wheels, I get the best launches... my buddy Al smoked a v6 mazda mx-6 that wanted to race, including jumping LITERALLY two car lengths on him just in the launch in first gear... great spinning launches (new, sticky tires, too)

od2681
08-18-2005, 04:43 PM
damn clean...do you have a side angle pic...i wanna see if that spoiler flows with the body lines of the 3g

BlueBead
08-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Killer! I love how unique this car is! If you were 2 or 3 thousand miles closer I'd be there with a towtruck! hahahah j/k
keep posting those pics man!

RobT5580
08-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Glad to see you got it all back together and running again. Maybe we can meet up sometime before winter maybe one of these days when i head up to englishtown. I have a spare head i might part with and some misc stuff if you ever need something let me know i have some stuff laying around from the 3 B20A's i have. I would definately upgrade to OBD1 its much better as far as tuning goes and with that compression your gains probably would be nice when tuned by the right person.

Versanick
08-18-2005, 09:29 PM
I still have to plan the obd1. I'd rather not use any ecu set for the lean b18 maps, or the unmatching b16 or h22 ignition advance.. I still don't know what ecu to go obd1 with, or what I need in terms of sensors and so on I need..

I'd love to have a b16 or b18 aftermarket intake manifold and TB with all of the availability of things for them.. that would be huge.

if you let me know when you'd be coming up, I'd be more than honored to have any of your advice or input...

that would be completely awesome.

Versanick
08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
I've been looking into SAFC units. I've had my mind more bagged with getting that intake/TB and going faster than worrying about fuel management. I have my head stuck in carbeuration (where many of my friends have older cars), and I'm used to going 'oh, it's running rich? okay, let's try these other metering rods' or adjusting a damn screw, or anything. I think that's made me believe that raising the fuel pressure will give me what I need up high. and maybe it will, but I'll certainly find out, and let you know how it works. We're going to tune a good fuel pressure (I'm assuming in the low 40's of idle psi) with my friends wideband 02 sensor, especially to make sure I'm not leaning out way up high (WOT) like I know I am right now (very badly).

We'll see by next summer if I've decided that an SAFC like the turbo kids' is the way to go, or if obd-1 finds me, or if my fuel pressure fix makes me happy.

thanks for the input fellas. you're great.

bobafett
08-19-2005, 11:51 AM
awesome. i didnt know u had all that going on in your car! keep up the good work man! i love the black IM. i have wanted to do that for a while, but hadn't seen it in person. now i know i want it! :)

88accordhb
08-19-2005, 04:30 PM
wow nice wing. lol

Versanick
08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
here it is in action. should I post a new post just like this whole vid post I've made? Because this is another video.

now keep in mind, we used my car for my friend's music video that he had to make for his class, and it was Stone Cold Crazy by aerosmith or something. I just chopped like 15 seconds out of it to be a small size, but see how low my car is and what it looks like moving... and from the side.

2.4MB .mov file, like before almost

http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/driving.mov

Do you think I should make a new thread for new people to read this one? or do you think everyone probably looks at this one when there's a new post?
let me know what you guys think of it 100% as far down as the coilovers let me go (basically riding on strut, front and back... its SUCH a rough ride)

-paul

Versanick
08-19-2005, 08:56 PM
and the wing looks a lot different from the side, and driving by, then it does directly from the back or from perpendicular and level with it...

this vid was with you in mind, od2681. i wanted you all to see how low the car is and stuff. my friend still has the raw footage with raw sound so you can hear the car instead of that stupid music, but I have to tear through it. I'll be posting lots of movies when I take them.

sorry for the repost, but it was worth more than an edit

and just so you don't have to scroll back up to find the second movie link:
http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/driving.mov

Acidbath88accordlx
08-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Actually, the song version that's in your video is Stone Cold Crazy covered by Metallica, originlly done by Queen... on topic... very clean car... has to have a lot of power... and even if it's a rough ride, you still can't bitch cause what it lacks in the suspension it makes up for in the performance of the engine....
check out my work in progress - http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=45826

Versanick
08-19-2005, 09:50 PM
I love it. trust me. I meant metallica I think. I'm totally mentally off track right now, trying to list some huge thing on ebay.

And I love the rough ride. I have to go 0mph over railroad tracks and such, or everyone in the car winds up with whiplash. It's great. NO body roll, even if I try to rock the car with a friend at the same time... none. Handles like a dream. I rock local SCCA courses in college parking lots. I hope to do some of that real soon, and I'd have pics if I do.

it definitely finds torque where those b16 kids don't have it. two of my b16a friends just go 'damn I wish I could have that much torque. that's why I need a turbo.' just laying on it in first gear is enough of a taste of torque that they can't help but feel like their car is slower, even if it's not. haha

3G Jester
08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
cant say i dig the wing...a little big for me. but as for the rest of her...absolutly beautiful. nice and clean.

approx. how much when all was said and done?

edit: heh. love the movies. cant beleive the a20 ecu holds up to the b20. and nice FWD 'drifting' by the way.. :rolleyes: :)

Versanick
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
haha well Josh gave me a figure of what he had in it, but that included a $1000 racing seat that I've since removed. With everything into it, it could be done again (if you had to pay for labor) for $13,500. I could break it down like I have before but it goes something like $5500 for drivetrain, $5000 for appearance between paint and body work and shavings and moldings and new trim all around, gagues, and some interior parts, and the rest into wheels (all bumpers are totally molded, antennae shaved, etc and the other 3k between wheels and suspension and rear sway bar and a bunch of extras that I didn't account for somehow with the rest..

if I could trade it all in, I'd just get a turbo.

Acidbath88accordlx
08-19-2005, 10:16 PM
What kind of bodywork needed to be done if you don't mind me asking?

88turboaccord
08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
I remember that car... man the good old days--and the old people to go with it..

thegreatdane
08-20-2005, 04:05 AM
Excellent, I really like your hatch. I've been thinking about shaving the bumpers like that but was worried about the outcome. It looks really sweet though!
Get a dyno of the car though. No fun to have all those mods without a dyno sheet to confirm it :) Would love to drive your car hehe

Versanick
08-21-2005, 04:48 PM
I almost feel like I should post another thread so anyone who lost interest in the thread itself will see this next video: It's almost the same as the last one (with the stupid chopped music in the background)

http://users.adelphia.net/~versanick/driving2.mov

so now you hear a little better what the car sounds like. And anytime any of you want to come up to Binghamton, NY, you can sure as hell drive my car. It's going off the road soon, but it sure as hell counts for next summer. And now that it's running well, I'd sure love to drive several hours for a meet or something. It'll for sure be dyno'd next summer. I still have some work to do before I feel like I'm finished with the entire N/A project (until I get really crazy after I'm out of college and get some individual throttle body velocity stacks or something)... and after some tuning at the drags early next summer, I'll surely have a dyno sheet to show sometime.

frankie89
08-21-2005, 05:04 PM
thatvid is fucking awsome..love that reverse skid..hotness..

acco-R-d
08-21-2005, 06:19 PM
that last video is freakin awesome...i wonder how much it is to fly to NY?

truetune
08-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Kudos pts.

spanky
08-21-2005, 09:08 PM
love the hatch. sounds like a beast with that engine. scranton to ny 1hr i'd make it there in half that the way i drive. ayo, mabey we can through a meet together in a couple weeks for some 3g on the eastcoast. well atleast in the pa,nj,ny areas.

Versanick
08-22-2005, 12:49 PM
That would be awesome except that I'm in Buffalo for school already. I go to UB, and my car goes into a full car bag this coming week, and off the road. This is the part (2/3) of the year that I hate. If I had the money, and the support system here in Buffalo (aka if something breaks, someone to help me fix it, and a place to do it), I would bring it to school here.

But only AccordEpicenter lives in the area, but he for some reason went to Watertown for three months for a job or something... so I haven't even gotten to see his car. We should do a big meet next summer. Or we should all go to Carlisle together. My friends will be rolling anywhere from 3-10 deep, and they love my car. Me having my first 3g honda when I was 16 is the reason so many of my friends are into hondas at all.

I wish I could spend more time to make more vids and whatnot... but she will serve me well next summer. Lancaster Speedway or whatever it's called is right to the east of me, and I hear that's where AccordEpicenter goes, as well as lots of locals.

Keep in touch though. And anyone else who wants to join at Carlisle next year, that would be sweet too. send me a pm.

spanky
08-22-2005, 03:55 PM
yea, i would love to. ive been thinking of throwing a local meet in my town for a while but i dont think anyone in my city even goes on the forum. I know alot of ppl around here appreciate the 3g. so next summer deff we'll all have to meet and get a good size group going.