PDA

View Full Version : Oil problems...

Doward
08-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Where have you guys tapped into the motor, for a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Also, does the oil pump actually just bolt to the front of the motor? Can the oil pump be replaced, without removing the motor?

DBMaster
08-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't know about the tapping, but the oil pump is driven by the timing belt and can definitely be replaced without removing the engine. As a matter of fact, mine leaks a little and I will be replacing it next time I do the timing belt.

88Accord-DX
08-18-2005, 05:04 PM
The oil pressure sender on 84-89 Accords & 84-87 Preludes is threaded into the oil filter base.

Oil pump removal
1. Remove the timing belt
2. Remove the front cover.
3. Remove the oil pump retaining bolts/nuts; remove the oil pump
5. Clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
6. Remove the pump to cover-to-pump housing bolts & the cover.
7. Reasseble the pump & torque the pump-to-cover bolts to 5 ft. lbs.
To install
8. Using new O-rings, install the pump. Tighten the oil pump mouting nuts to 22 ft. lbs.
9. Install the oil pump, drive pulley if it was removed. Apply thread sealant before the nut is installed. Remember that the nut us left handed. Tighten the nut to 22 ft. Lbs.
10. Reinstall the timing cover belt and set the tension correctly.
11. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Oldblueaccord
08-19-2005, 01:12 AM

Also, does the oil pump actually just bolt to the front of the motor? Can the oil pump be replaced, without removing the motor?

above the oil filter housing. I took off the low pressure sender and replaced with a guage sender. pretty easy.

wp

Versanick
08-19-2005, 10:49 AM
<<<< same as oldblueaccord for my oil pressure gague

lostforawhile
08-19-2005, 01:19 PM

remember it's a bsp thread on the engine,it looks just like an npt thread but it's not. i've got a post on here somewhere about this will have to edit and put in the thread. here it is http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=45143